Home General Discussion
Options

Humidor / Chess Board Combo

Hello again everybody.... I have been working on a design for a chess board/humidor combination. After visiting several Cigar Shoppes, I see that a chess board is always around...... So, I thought.... why not combine one in to a humidor. The picture is a computerized draft that I put drew up - which is pretty close to the what I had going on in the old noggin.... That decorative trim on the side drove me nuts trying to figure out how to make that look good. I haven't drawn the drawers yet.... but, I need to before I start cutting the wood.... It helps to see what is going to work and what is not... I plan on sealing the inside with Spanish Cedar and each chess player will have a drawer full of cigars. Any thoughts from ya'all on whether it should hold a lot, or just a handful of neatly displayed stogies......??? The drawers will measure about....17" x 9" deep x 3-1/2" high (inside dims)... And, there will be two of them... (one for each player)... Overall dims are 24" x 24" x 6 3/4" So.... this is just the beginning. I'm guessing it'll take me at least a month or a month and a half to do this one.... I'll post progress pictures as I go... Fun stuff! image

Comments

• Options
    kaspera79kaspera79 Posts: 7,257 ✭✭✭
    Hey wax. That is nice.. The idea for drawers on each side at different levels of course is great, I believe a fifty count for each side should suffice.
  • Options
    WaxingMoonWaxingMoon Posts: 328
    Actually, they won't have to be on different levels.... 9" is plenty deep..... they'll meet pretty close to the middle...
  • Options
    j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    Given that the cigars will be stored in the chess board, one would imagine that the cigars would be there for the players to smoke while they played...with that in mind, I think a 25-50 count drawer should be plenty.
  • Options
    rdnstnrdnstn Posts: 993 ✭✭
    I think this is a great idea, I would love to see someone put something like this together.
  • Options
    plaidbanana1plaidbanana1 Posts: 187
    Wow, this looks cool. Can't wait to see the pics.
  • Options
    LasabarLasabar Posts: 4,472 ✭✭✭
    This Humidor chess setup is pretty cool...

I'd like to have a Axis and Allies humidor... Now that may be geeky, but sure would be GREAT!
  • Options
    ThewelderThewelder Posts: 682 ✭✭
    I wish I had a few hundred laying around because I really like your work and would jump all over this.
  • Options
    bibbybibby Posts: 152
    Lasabar:
    This Humidor chess setup is pretty cool...

I'd like to have a Axis and Allies humidor... Now that may be geeky, but sure would be GREAT!
    That's a great way to spend a couple (read 8-12) hours doing nothing important. That's a great game!

Rob
  • Options
    zoom6zoomzoom6zoom Posts: 1,214
    Don't forget a drawer to store the pieces.... the board can be done with veneer.
  • Options
    zoom6zoom:
    Don't forget a drawer to store the pieces.... the board can be done with veneer.
    I'm hoping that whoever get's this would want a separate box for the chess pieces.... And.... No veneer on my boxes.... :) I finished drawing it out tonight..... Here's a picture of the drawers.... image
  • Options
    clearlysuspectclearlysuspect Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭✭
    I would love to comment on this, but I don't think my humble words could best describe the mastery which you have attained. Well done!
  • Options
    madurofanmadurofan Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭
    Not to burst your bubble wax, this is a great idea and an even better design. However, my B&M sells one of these. The top opens like a traditional humidor and the board is magnetic so you can open it up while playing and the pieces stay in place. You may want to incorporate that idea.Not to burst your bubble wax, this is a great idea and an even better design. However, my B&M sells one of these. The top opens like a traditional humidor and the board is magnetic so you can open it up while playing and the pieces stay in place. You may want to incorporate that idea.
  • Options
    Thought about that.... but, don't want to do it that way. Then you have to make sure you have magnetic chess pieces. Don't want to get pinned down to that. And.... my bubble's been burst for a long time..... nothin' left to burst.
  • Options
    I definitely like the plan that you have for this wax. The only thing that I would like if it was mine is to lift off the top and have storage for the pieces but you a;ready said that you didn't want to do a drawer for pieces so I doubt that you would want to do that either. I just wanted to put in my 2 cents.
  • Options
    Now, there's an idea. The drawers have too much room as it is for a piece like this. They're 3-1/2" deep. I could indeed trim them down a bit and make room for the storage of the pieces. I don't want to mess too much with the interior design - as it'll be pretty much air tight. I can make it thinner, and still keep the drawers.... I just don't want to have to disturb the game, once in play. Here's what I' mean.... image I like that idea. I can make this thinner and make room for a storage place between the humidor and the chess board. Still keeping the humidor in tact. I want this to be tight.
  • Options
    I'll work on that....
  • Options
    I can't wait to see this. I would love to see pics of the build in progress too if you don't mind.
  • Options
    I'll do a blog on it in here....
  • Options
    xmacroxmacro Posts: 3,402
    So how many cigars are you gonna allow in this? 50 for each side? How big cigars are we talking - cuban sized, or churchill sized ones?

Also, do you have any references/feedback from buyers on your work? The chess board seems like a really interesting idea and I'd like to know more. Thanks
  • Options
    Typically, I would make as much room in there as possible. How many will fit would depend on what you put in it. But, the current dims inside the drawer are 2-3/4 high by 16" wide by 10 1/2" deep. For me, that's a big area. I was sort of envisioning lowering the height of the drawers to about 1 1/2" - enough room to elegently display 5 to 10 of your best - could even dress the drawer out in Spanish Cedar to separate about 10 or so good cigars. That, to me, seems more fitting to the intent. But, it can be wide open too.... Lots of room to play with inside there..... We'll see how it goes. Oh, and the Spanish cedar could be as thick as you want it.....
  • Options
    I was going to start my blog on this, this morning.... but, I can't figure out how to get one started. Headin' down to the shop tonight after my day job..... Any tips?
  • Options
    HaysHays Posts: 2,337 ✭✭✭
    Hey Moon...is there any update on this one???
    ¨The cure for anything is salt water: sweat, tears, or the sea¨ - Isak Dinesen

¨Only two people walk around in this world beardless - boys and women - and I am neither one.¨
  • Options
    ENFIDLENFIDL Posts: 5,836
    This is awesome!
  • Options
    Nick2021Nick2021 Posts: 938 ✭✭
    that's a great concept...easy access to cigars while enjoying a nice game of chess/checkers...real interested in seeing how a real one looks!
  • Options
    It's done and gone..... and somebody stole my camera that had the pics in it..... But, she did turn out real nice.... :)