Home General Discussion

A Humidor is Born!

I just took this one off the bench this morning..... Now, the wife & I are going around to show it off to a handful of local B&G's... It's going to be a fun afternoon. Overall Dims: 20" x 12.5" x 8.75" Inside Capacity: 0.80 cubic Foot Construction: Bird's Eye Maple, Morado (Bolivian Rosewood), Spanish Cedar & Turquoise & Brass Inlays. Brusso Lid stays & hinges. This is going to be a fun day! imageimageimageimage Have a great day!

Comments

• HugemooseHugemoose Posts: 458
    Wow! Incredible...nicely made!!!
  • KamelyonKamelyon Posts: 109
    WOW! That is beautiful!
  • j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    Very nice. I like how the turquoise inlays worked out.
  • YankeeManYankeeMan Posts: 2,654 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Fantastic!!!
  • gmill880gmill880 Posts: 5,947
    BEAUTIFUL !!!
  • laker1963laker1963 Posts: 5,046
    That is gorgeous !!!
    Have you ever done any work with Yew wood? It is VERY hard but so beautiful when finished.
    I have a bunch of Yew wood I wish I could send to a guy like you. Of course he would have to send back something like that beautiful piece you showed us here.
    Very nice work, quality and details. You love this stuff don't you?
  • brc81brc81 Posts: 249
    That is awesome.
  • WaxingMoonWaxingMoon Posts: 328
    laker1963:
    You love this stuff don't you?
    Indeed, I do! Thanks for the compliments guys..... this was a fun one to build! Here's a couple of "better" pictures..... imageimage
  • rad1964rad1964 Posts: 190 ✭✭
    Beautiful picks, nice work! (PS - you have a PM) Rad1964
  • LasabarLasabar Posts: 4,472 ✭✭✭
    That is an awesome job!

But I do believe I'd like to have the humidor in the background too!!!

Just kidding, but what's the story there? Are you keeping your work at a B&M or were you just showing it off there for the day?
    Lasabar:
    what's the story there? Are you keeping your work at a B&M or were you just showing it off there for the day?
    This humidor will be going to Vino 100 - Tinderbox in Alpharetta, GA. The finish needs to cure for about a week - then I can rub it out to make it a littler shinier - after that, it's going on the shelf at Vino 100....
  • clearlysuspectclearlysuspect Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭✭
    That humi is much larger than I originally thought. Impressive!
  • 4bob44bob4 Posts: 212
    WaxingMoon:
    Lasabar:
    what's the story there? Are you keeping your work at a B&M or were you just showing it off there for the day?
    This humidor will be going to Vino 100 - Tinderbox in Alpharetta, GA. The finish needs to cure for about a week - then I can rub it out to make it a littler shinier - after that, it's going on the shelf at Vino 100....
    Is that humidor you're in in the tinderbox in alpharetta? The one in Buckhead (lenox square mall) seems a lot smaller. Can you smoke in the one out there? If so I may have to make a trip.
    The humidor that I'm in in the picture is in Duluth on Peachtree Industrial Blvd.... Selective Cigars No, you can't smoke in the humidor.... the one I have isn't lit......
  • Wow. Impressive.
  • xmacroxmacro Posts: 3,402
    Very nice humidor, but I'm curious about the thickness of the walls - I've looked at higher-end humidors sitting next to low-end ones, and I've read a lot about what separates the two, and one of the biggest features is thick walls to withstand the humidity differences of the outside vs inside environments.
    The walls can be as thick as you want them. Typically, I'll do 1/4" or 3/8". This one has 1/4" walls. The tray runners add an additional 5/8" to the overall thickness. and there's another 1/4" piece between the rosewood lid and the lid - as there was room there, so I filled it. The bottom is not lined - it is actually part of the boxes structure. 3/4" thick piece of spanish cedar. But....it can be whatever you want it to be.
  • kingjk729kingjk729 Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭
    Man that is a beauty ....... god i have so many creative ideas but just not the patience for something like that.