Home Non Cigar Related
Options

Gonna be a grandpa

RhamlinRhamlin Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭✭✭
My oldest daughter called me today to tell me she may be pregnant. To say I'm stunned is putting it mildly. I'd feel much better if my daughter was in a stable relationship. She's 24 he's 28 already has 2 kids by another girl. Both only have part time jobs not living together nor any plans. I haven't met him yet as they live in Cincinnati. She doesn't even have a car. Guess ill just have to pray on it.

Comments

• Options
    BigshizzaBigshizza Posts: 15,645 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My daughter is 23 and I can say I'm not looking forward to that call. Good luck Ricky, hopefully everything turns out for the best!
  • Options
    roland_7707roland_7707 Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭
    Prayer will take care of everything, and the kid is gonna have an awesome grandpa.
    Congrats on the new addition to the family.
    One God, One Truth
  • Options
    Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,429 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Congratulations. (?) I think.

I want to say "DON'T raise the kid for her", but it's what everyone does nowadays.

I like the prayer idea, I'll say one for you, and her, and the kid.

Good luck.
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • Options
    Thanks everyone. Prayers are definitely appreciated. It would be cool to be a grandpa. Don't know how it would work out if she had to move up her with us. My wife and her don't do very well when cooped up together for to long of a time. My wife's a bit OCD and my daughters kind of a slob like her mom.
  • Options
    RBeckomRBeckom Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭
    Congratulations.
    Perhaps someday you will play catch-up with me, I have seven and one more almost here!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,917
    Congrats dude.
  • Options
    jthanatosjthanatos Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭
    Congrats and prayers to you.
  • Options
    Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,429 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Rhamlin:
    Thanks everyone. Prayers are definitely appreciated. It would be cool to be a grandpa. Don't know how it would work out if she had to move up her with us. My wife and her don't do very well when cooped up together for to long of a time. My wife's a bit OCD and my daughters kind of a slob like her mom.
    The Chinese pictogram for trouble is two women under one roof.
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • Options
    Amos Umwhat:
    Rhamlin:
    The Chinese pictogram for trouble is two women under one roof.
    Amen
  • Options
    ToombesToombes Posts: 4,506 ✭✭✭
    Congrats, Ricky!! Seems a "congratulations" gift is in order for the 3rd...
  • Options
    Grampa Rick, I never prepared myself for this.
  • Options
    Glock1975Glock1975 Posts: 5,152 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Congrats Rick!!!
  • Options
    webmostwebmost Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Listen, all your worries will evaporate the instant you pick the little critter up and smell that fontanelle. If she's a girl, she'll tug your nose and give you kissies. If he's a boy, he'll hold your hair and sit on your shoulders. All the simple things you forgot how wonderful they are will come back with double force: sitting by a pond watching the wee one catch a fish, a walk in the woods, a minor league game, a nap, ice cream, a pup, a school play.

Look at the bright side. There is no other side. No, really. There is no other side.

I say this from experience. I am a great-grandpa. The happiest moment of my entire life was running behind my grandson's bike holding his coat the day I took his training wheels off. Now he has a daughter of his own. This month, he is buying his first house. Yesterday, I mailed him out two dozen cigars, mom out some giraffe collectibles, and the great grand daughter her first run through the water toy for their first yard. Life bigger and better. This is the best thing that could ever happen. Now it's happening to you. Good for you.

“It has been a source of great pain to me to have met with so many among [my] opponents who had not the liberality to distinguish between political and social opposition; who transferred at once to the person, the hatred they bore to his political opinions.” —Thomas Jefferson (1808)

• Options
    webmost:
    Listen, all your worries will evaporate the instant you pick the little critter up and smell that fontanelle. If she's a girl, she'll tug your nose and give you kissies. If he's a boy, he'll hold your hair and sit on your shoulders. All the simple things you forgot how wonderful they are will come back with double force: sitting by a pond watching the wee one catch a fish, a walk in the woods, a minor league game, a nap, ice cream, a pup, a school play.

Look at the bright side. There is no other side. No, really. There is no other side.

I say this from experience. I am a great-grandpa. The happiest moment of my entire life was running behind my grandson's bike holding his coat the day I took his training wheels off. Now he has a daughter of his own. This month, he is buying his first house. Yesterday, I mailed him out two dozen cigars, mom out some giraffe collectibles, and the great grand daughter her first run through the water toy for their first yard. Life bigger and better. This is the best thing that could ever happen. Now it's happening to you. Good for you.

Thanks brother. I do love babies. There's just something about holding one that makes you feel calm and serene.
  • Options
    Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,016 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Gongrats and Prayers.
  • Options
    webmostwebmost Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Rhamlin:
    I do love babies. There's just something about holding one that makes you feel calm and serene.
    This is because babies are the purpose of life, Hamlin. We recognize this in every other species from salmon to sequoia. But for some uncanny reason humans get all worried and confused about the simple stuff. We lose sight of the meaning of life. Why am I here? Why will I die? Why do I put up with this? Why wasn't I born rich, talented, smart, good looking, lucky, in another time, to other parents, in another place, with magical super powers? Why, why, why, why, from the time a four year old first discovers the word why and drives his Dad nuts with it.

Until the first time you pinch a morsel of soft food and put it between those pink wet lips. There. There is the meaning of life. There it is, gumming a morsel. It's not about having independence. It's about having dependents. That is life compleat.

Grandpa. Listen. Soon as you see your daughter, run to her with a broad silly grin on your face, squeeze her tight, and tell her that she has made you the happiest man on earth. Everything else will resolve itself, if you just do that.

golly I feel goofy today
    “It has been a source of great pain to me to have met with so many among [my] opponents who had not the liberality to distinguish between political and social opposition; who transferred at once to the person, the hatred they bore to his political opinions.” —Thomas Jefferson (1808)

• Options
    beatnicbeatnic Posts: 4,133
    The softer side of Manly Men! LOL
    congrats Ricky