Home Non Cigar Related
Options

Need help with a paper I am writing

scarlinscarlin Posts: 1,592
So I am writing a paper on rights and what they are blah blah blah. Anyway I am explaining how it is ok to violate someone else's rights under certain circumstances with examples. The only one I can come up with is Self-Defense (kill or be killed) as you are violating the other person's right to life to save your own. I would like 1-3 more solid examples, but can't think of any since self-defense seems to be the biggie. Any thoughts guys?

Comments

• Options
    Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think defense, on a larger scale. National, etc. Just try not to quote Star Trek, "the needs of the many outweigh the needs of the one". hmm, it's early and I'm drawing a blank past that, too. Interesting to see what other answers you get.
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • Options
    pilgrimtexpilgrimtex Posts: 429
    scarlin:
    So I am writing a paper on rights and what they are blah blah blah. Anyway I am explaining how it is ok to violate someone else's rights under certain circumstances with examples. The only one I can come up with is Self-Defense (kill or be killed) as you are violating the other person's right to life to save your own. I would like 1-3 more solid examples, but can't think of any since self-defense seems to be the biggie. Any thoughts guys?

They are all around you and so profuse that you no longer notice it.
    Political Correctness is a big one. Binding freedom of expression for the tyranny of so called good of others. Illegal search and seizure; where they can come in and do things under the guise of Homeland BS. No smoking in Bars or within 15 ft of a public entrance blah blah blah. The right to own any weapon you desire under the 2nd amendment. There is no limit on what we should be allowed to have period. and on and on and on.
  • Options
    pilgrimtex:
    scarlin:

Political Correctness is a big one. Binding freedom of expression for the tyranny of so called good of others. Illegal search and seizure; where they can come in and do things under the guise of Homeland BS. No smoking in Bars or within 15 ft of a public entrance blah blah blah. The right to own any weapon you desire under the 2nd amendment. There is no limit on what we should be allowed to have period. and on and on and on.
    I took the question to mean justifiably violate someones rights. Of course, you're right, those are ways that our rights are violated daily, but unjustifiably, in my opinion.
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • Options
    pilgrimtexpilgrimtex Posts: 429
    Amos Umwhat:
    pilgrimtex:
    scarlin:

I took the question to mean justifiably violate someones rights. Of course, you're right, those are ways that our rights are violated daily, but unjustifiably, in my opinion.

Unjustifiable in your eyes but justifiable in the eyes of the ones doing it.
  • Options
    perkinkeperkinke Posts: 1,572 ✭✭✭
    scarlin:
    Shouting "fire" in a theater is sort of along those lines, it's prohibited to protect the safety of everyone else around. Another might be prohibiting felons from voting or at least making them have a period after completing supervision before their voting rights are restored, varies by state.
  • Options
    raisindotraisindot Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭
    Some of the recent laws in Texas, Wisconsin and other states that are removing access to abortions and women's health services in spite of this being a right as defined by the Supreme Court comes to mind.
  • Options
    raisindot:
    Some of the recent laws in Texas, Wisconsin and other states that are removing access to abortions and women's health services in spite of this being a right as defined by the Supreme Court comes to mind.
    Oooh, that sounds like another bunny trail.

• Options
    macs-smokesmacs-smokes Posts: 587
    Concealed Carry and Open Carry laws two that pop into my head, and then because the douche bags are from Ks.; Freedom of Speech vs protesting funerals.
  • Options
    scarlinscarlin Posts: 1,592
    Thanks guys!
  • Options
    YankeeManYankeeMan Posts: 2,654 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The example I use in class for my students is the defense of "Necessity." If you come across someone trying to commit suicide by jumping off a bridge, and you have to punch that person to stun him, so you can grab him and haul him back to safety, you have saved his life.

In essence, you have committed an assault and battery, but your defense would be that it was necessary to save his life and it was the lesser of two evils.

I hope that helps.
  • Options
    clearlysuspectclearlysuspect Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭✭
    ooohhh... good example on the suicide thing. Brings to mind "good samaritan" laws. If a woman was on fire and you put the fire out and removed her smoldering shirt to keep it from burning her further you won't be charged with sexual assault..... maybe.
  • Options
    perkinkeperkinke Posts: 1,572 ✭✭✭
    clearlysuspect:
    ooohhh... good example on the suicide thing. Brings to mind "good samaritan" laws. If a woman was on fire and you put the fire out and removed her smoldering shirt to keep it from burning her further you won't be charged with sexual assault..... maybe.
    heh, that's an interesting example for that one, I usually hear one referring to breaking a person's ribs giving them CPR (not unusual), but a grope in a fire? Bet that would stick with a professor! :)
  • Options
    Ken_LightKen_Light Posts: 3,537 ✭✭✭
    perkinke:
    clearlysuspect:
    heh, that's an interesting example for that one, I usually hear one referring to breaking a person's ribs giving them CPR (not unusual), but a grope in a fire? Bet that would stick with a professor! :)
    As a professor, I can tell you for certain it would get you bonus points with me. Any time a student can bring a fresh perspective/example that I haven't read 100 times it is appreciated!
    ^Troll: DO NOT FEED.
  • Options
    pilgrimtex:
    Amos Umwhat:
    pilgrimtex:
    scarlin:

Unjustifiable in your eyes but justifiable in the eyes of the ones doing it.
    I think that must be the question, then. Where's the line, the universally accepted line. Which of course, won't exist. Oh, yes, grope the professor, too. ;)