Home General Discussion

Google Herf tonight 9-24?

brianetz1brianetz1 Posts: 4,134 ✭✭✭
Ok last night, for the first time on cigar.com (as far as i can tell) we got together to virtually herf via Google Hangouts. If you don't know what that is, do a google search.....or let me try to explain. it is a video chat that allows for multiple video connections. Basically it allows us to Herf, without all being together.

It took a little trial and error, but we finally got it working last night perfectly. So I am going to try and put together a "How to" post with directions including screenshots as best i can so that anyone with a Google+ account could create a Herf and post the link in this thread for everyone to Herf.

Here we go:

What do you need to make this work:

1. Internet Connected Device with a camera/mic. (this includes computers, phones, tablets...etc)
2. A Google+ account (if you have a gmail acount you have a google+ account)
3. Preferably a set of headphones. (i'll explain later)
4. A shirt.....especially if you have hairy nipples (no one needed to see that Vision)

There are 2 ways to get into a Google Hangout (remember, you must have the above prerequisites to get into a herf):

1. Click on the latest link that is posted on this topic
2. Create one on your own

When you click on any of the active Herf links for the first time, it will download a few plugins and you will need to accept those installs and allow them to have access to your microphone and camera when they ask. Other than that, it is pretty simple. Remember, you must also have a Google Account.

If you want to create your own Google Hangout you can pretty easily. Here are the steps from a PC with Chrome. I am sure they will be similar from any other computer. I will try and put together the directions for an ipad and add them at a later date.

1. Open up your browser and go to Google.

2. Click on your name with the plus sign in the upper left hand corner (if it is not there, login to google)

photo Untitled1_zpsdec1a6b9.png

3. Click on the hangout button (if you have never done this before your computer will need to download the hangouts software at this time)

photo Untitled2_zps603dac39.png

4. A new window will open up and ask you who you want to invite to your hangout

photo Untitled3_zps9f7fc01d.png

5. Click where it says "add names, circles, or email addresses" and type in any name, circle, or email address.......for example i just choose my personal email account

photo Untitled4_zpsdbac7a40.png

6. Click SHare

7. Your window will now look like the picture below, except your webcam image will be showing at the bottom

photo untitled5_zps2c2ce99d.png

8. Copy the link in the address bar at the top and paste it into this thread or wherever you want and when they click on the link they will join your virtual Herf.

photo Untitled6_zps7d858e82.png

If I am leaving anything out of these directions please feel free to write up extra steps and either PM me or post them in this thread and i will edit them into the above directions

Feel free to bump this thread and use this as an all encompassing Virtual Herf thread and post your links in here.

Comments