Home General Discussion
Options

New Wineador

ehehatehehat Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭
After reading all the beetle threads and stressing over my humi sitting around 78-82 in the afternoon (and knowing keeping the ac at 72 wasnt an option) I decided a wineador was needed. Waiting was rough but my birthday gave me the perfect excuse. Picked up this 28 bottle:

http://www.amazon.com/NewAir-AW-280E-Classic-Thermoelectric-Collector/dp/B001DI5ALW/ref=sr_1_1?s=appliances&ie=UTF8&qid=1374512229&sr=1-1&keywords=280+newair

and will be using these PC fans to aid circulation.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003MDQAI8/ref=oh_details_o00_s01_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It should be here today so I'll be posting pics and progress. Planing on using boxes for storage until I can afford drawers.
First question: How to clean? I've read newspaper, baking soda, vinegar wipe, etc...what have others used thats worked? Anyone have any advice for things to watch for during startup?

Comments

• Options
    jliujliu Posts: 7,735 ✭✭✭✭
    congrats man! I would say to make sure you get good ventilation and spread out your beads. If you can't up your humidity with what I just suggested, I would recommend putting just a dish of distilled water at the bottom.
  • Options
    catfishbluezzcatfishbluezz Posts: 7,000 ✭✭✭
    Use a distilled water and dawn to clean, then toss some newspaper in overnight...done ;)
  • Options
    The_KidThe_Kid Posts: 7,869 ✭✭✭
    very nice!
  • Options
    BigshizzaBigshizza Posts: 15,645 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Awesome! Have fun with that Eric!
  • Options
    BigshizzaBigshizza Posts: 15,645 ✭✭✭✭✭
    jliu:
    congrats man! I would say to make sure you get good ventilation and spread out your beads. If you can't up your humidity with what I just suggested, I would recommend putting just a dish of distilled water at the bottom.
    So....do you use yours for wine now?
  • Options
    jliujliu Posts: 7,735 ✭✭✭✭
    Bigshizza:
    jliu:
    So....do you use yours for wine now?
    yea dude. back to a wine fridge. i think i'll just put whites in that one now.
  • Options
    catfishbluezz:
    Use a distilled water and dawn to clean, then toss some newspaper in overnight...done ;)
    Dustin, did you plug in and leave running while filled with newspaper?
  • Options
    Here are the first couple shots.
    after wash :

And resting with baking soda (need to find newspaper, yeah...I know)
  • Options
    BamablowsBamablows Posts: 338
    how do the fans come into play? Im pretty comfortable with 12v in anything automotive, but I have never dealt with any other type of wiring.
  • Options
    thedjfish@comcast.netthedjfish@comcast.net Posts: 1,692 ✭✭✭
    did you have a smell in there? i have the same one but i only coould smell cardboard from the packaging, and that went away after i placed my cedar boards and shelves in.
    as for the fans you can use the power from any 12v power supply maybe 20-30 watts for 4-5 60-80mm pc fan, these are monuted in certain areas to circulate the air, i have mine placed 2 directly blowing on the bottom where my humidification is near the back wall and 2 in front blowing up towards the top of the cooler, so its got a round front bottom to top circulation
  • Options
    CigarMan37CigarMan37 Posts: 432
    Congrats on the new toy. I love my wineador, it's really the only way to go!!!
  • Options
    thedjfish@comcast.net:
    did you have a smell in there? i have the same one but i only coould smell cardboard from the packaging, and that went away after i placed my cedar boards and shelves in.
    as for the fans you can use the power from any 12v power supply maybe 20-30 watts for 4-5 60-80mm pc fan, these are monuted in certain areas to circulate the air, i have mine placed 2 directly blowing on the bottom where my humidification is near the back wall and 2 in front blowing up towards the top of the cooler, so its got a round front bottom to top circulation
    thanks for the input Joe, the plastic smell is REALLY strong. I didn't have any newspaper so I put a couple plate of baking soda in and closed it up for 24+ hours. Got home today and its still pretty strong so I picked up some newspaper and filler 'er up. I already did the soap/DW wash but if its not better this time tomorrow I may go with a peroxide/baking soda wash (I read that works pretty well). May also get some activated carbon to help out. Really hoping to get some drawers soon but I dunno... Plan on storing in boxes till then. I've read a ton of different ways of wiring the fans (yes, Bama, those are just for circulation) and will probably try straight wiring to a phone charger. I'm on a really tight budget so I'm working on the cheapest way to get this done. Joe, when this is done I'll be hounding you for something to out on the door. ;)
  • Options
    i was going to buy the shelves, but the wait time right now like 6-8 weeks from wineadors before he starts to build so itsmore like 10-12 weeks, so i bought some 1/4"x 48"Lx 12"W cedar board for humidors, cut them down to 3" wide by 14-1/4" to create a slat design and fit into the shelve slots,i bought 6 trays from cheap humi's i only used 3, for my loose sticks, mounted 2 fans on edges of 2 boards, everything just lined up just right, not the prettiest but it works,and my humidity is at 69-71% temps hang at 65*, plugged the drain hole, drilled a hole in a upper corner ran the wiring sealed it wih silicone, and they are set, i ended going with heartfelt beads as secondary humidification,mainly to absorb any water that condensates, but i run electronic humidifiers as primary, they dont run to often.
    i have 3 wineadors 1 aw280e and 2 aw281e, 280e is for cc's, 1 281e is for boxes, 1 281e is for a few boxes and loose sticks,
    i use a oregan scientific weather station that monitors all units for temps and humidity all at the same time, best thing i ever bought i recently bought newer model sensors been using the main unit for 5yrs now
    but the smell none had any smells not plastic or anything all i did when i got them was wipe down with a alchohol mix with distilled water that was just for any bacterua or fungus that might be present from transport or what ever,let it dry out and its was set.
  • Options
    I'm looking at some alternatives to the drawers and have considered the humi trays but they seem to leave too much extra room in the back. I could get 6 trays for 60.00 or 4 drawers / 2 shelves for 175.00. Since this is a long term (I hope) investment I'll wait it out using boxes till I can afford the drawers (the reported wait time now is 10-14 weeks). The smell is kinda weird, I've read as many people really fight to get rid of it as have no smell at all, all with the same model. Oh well, just my luck I guess. I'll see what the newspaper does tomorrow.
  • Options
    danielzreyesdanielzreyes Posts: 8,769 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lookin good E.
    "It's plume, bro. Nothing to worry about. Got any Opus?" The suppose to be DZR
  • Options
    danielzreyes:
    Lookin good E.
    thanks D-Rey, looking pretty good yourself. ;). I only needed it to support my stogiestand habit.
  • Options
    bearbbearb Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭
    Do the thermostats go warm enough allow the interior to b up to 70..most seem to say only chill to 55ish. Please explain how that is warm enough.
  • Options
    70 degrees? i mainly see the most common temps at 65*
  • Options
    Mine caps at 66 but I've read the external thermometers can be off so I'll be going by the hygrometers temp. Plan on keeping it around 63-65.
  • Options
    thats where mine hangs out 63-66 depends on how hard it has to work on the outside temp, you gotta keep in mind that those pc fans put a bit of heat also, dont forget to turn out the light that does too
  • Options
    thedjfish@comcast.net:
    thats where mine hangs out 63-66 depends on how hard it has to work on the outside temp, you gotta keep in mind that those pc fans put a bit of heat also, dont forget to turn out the light that does too
    Goos stuff Joe, thanks.
    I'm at the end of day 2 and the smell is still pretty strong. I scrubbed down with DW and light soap again and will refill with newspaper and see what happens.
  • Options
    phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
    wow, going to town on that. hope it works well when you get it all set up and going. I tried the wineador a few years ago, gave up and put wine in it.
  • Options
    phobicsquirrel:
    wow, going to town on that. hope it works well when you get it all set up and going. I tried the wineador a few years ago, gave up and put wine in it.
    really? What issues did you have? Why did you "un convert" it? If I could guess, was it a compressor cooler?
  • Options
    A quick update. After 3 days of washing/baking soda/ newspaper with the unit off I finally got rid of the plastic smell so I plugged it in and it immediately started smelling again (new motor smell?) so I refilled with newspaper and let it sit another day and a half.
    this evening I pulled the newspaper and I think it's good to go so I plugged the drain hole with electrical tape (I plan to run the fan wires through the hole so I'll use a more permanent plug later) and put my boxes it with several glasses of distiller water and about 2 pounds of kl, seasoning!
    I'll let this sit for 3-4 days and pull the water. Once i can get a steady rh without the DW i'll start filling 'er up. I'm hoping to order drawers from Forrest in the next week or 2, till then it'll be boxes. Right now I'm sitting around 69 on top and 58 on bottom. I need to get the fans going soon. I need to find an old phone charger that puts out around 12v. I used to have dozens of these things. Can't find a single one now.
  • Options
    taythegibstaythegibs Posts: 2,025
    if you dont have any try a yardsale, ive seen piles of old chargers for a quarter at them around here, my fan is connected to a usb cable with an adapter on the end that came with a camera that i dont use since my phone uses the same type of adapter on the wall.
  • Options
    That's a great idea. Thanks! I've found a couple I still have but the output is only 5v and the fans I got say they need 10.8-13v. I don't even know if my thinking is right, I'm pretty electronically handicapped.
  • Options
    you could find a cheap pc fan controller, i bought just for the power supply which was 12v 24w cost $19. on ebay, 60mm and 80mm fans where $2.89 each with free ship
  • Options
    phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
    ehehat:
    phobicsquirrel:
    really? What issues did you have? Why did you "un convert" it? If I could guess, was it a compressor cooler?
    Couple of reasons... wasn't big enough, needed to store some wine, and didn't really want to do all the things you have to do to maintain it. On the plush side the 42 count works well for my bottles of wine and sours!

Not sure how many boxes you have or will be getting but you will grow out of it and then have to add something else. I personally hated having to worry about multiple humis and coolerdors. So I got a large caby. Then it got damaged and I got an even bigger one. So really if I can pass on wisdom to others I will to avoid my mistakes. Though I probably went overboard on boxes, but still I like to let peeps know.

I'm no expert but I don't think the newer one's you have to worry about the compressor as much.
  • Options
    oy, i just bought another destressed new one on ebay, same as the others wiring and hinge need to be repaired easy fix, that will put me at 4, this one i will use for boxes only also, now with that i am done since i am will be out of humidifiers, yes i am an addict!, no i dont have a problem!
  • Options
    phobicsquirrel:
    ehehat:
    phobicsquirrel:
    Couple of reasons... wasn't big enough, needed to store some wine, and didn't really want to do all the things you have to do to maintain it. On the plush side the 42 count works well for my bottles of wine and sours!

Not sure how many boxes you have or will be getting but you will grow out of it and then have to add something else. I personally hated having to worry about multiple humis and coolerdors. So I got a large caby. Then it got damaged and I got an even bigger one. So really if I can pass on wisdom to others I will to avoid my mistakes. Though I probably went overboard on boxes, but still I like to let peeps know.

I'm no expert but I don't think the newer one's you have to worry about the compressor as much.
    the whole point of me getting the model I got was no compressor. Everything I've read says it doesn't suffer the same rh issues a compressor unit does. No way I can use boxes long term, I'm already out of room and haven't even started adding sticks yet. I'm planning on ordering drawers next week which will add way more capacity. I can see how a cabinet is the way to go (especially one that has temp control. Ahem, Jiunn) but a cabinet is way out of my budget and I think I'll get 4-500 in this.