Home General Discussion
Options

Why is my electronic hygrometer reading over 80% when I do the salt test to calibrate?

When I put a pop cap with salt and water in a tupper ware bowl with my HygroSet 2 Electronic Hygrometer, my humidity reading is consistently 79%-83%. Can somebody explain why this is happening. I know you can calibrate it with the dial, but 79-83% seems much too high compared to what it should be, 75%. Could somebody help me with this? I just don't want my cigars to go bad. Am I just worrying too much? Should I just go ahead and calibrate it or is something wrong? Thank you all!

Comments

• Options
    J.S.J.S. Posts: 754
    Just hit the calibrate button and it should reset to 75%.
  • Options
    maymgmaymg Posts: 47
    J.S.:
    Then it's ready to go in the humidor? Or do I have to put it back with the salt?
  • Options
    Gray4linesGray4lines Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭✭✭
    maymg:
    J.S.:
    Then it's ready to go in the humidor? Or do I have to put it back with the salt?
    If you have it in with the salt and calibrate, it should be good to go. You can also leave it in to make sure it remains at 75% just just to double check.
    LLA - Lancero Lovers of America
  • Options
    RhamlinRhamlin Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Gray4lines:
    maymg:
    J.S.:
    If you have it in with the salt and calibrate, it should be good to go. You can also leave it in to make sure it remains at 75% just just to double check.
    #1. Also how long did you have it sealed up for the test? Recommend at least 12 hours.
  • Options
    Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,019 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I started out with xikar digitals and when I finally got one of the round hygroset models I was very frustrated learning how to use the dial. They do work well after you figure out how to calibrate it but if anybody else is about to buy their first digital hygrometer, go with the xikar. It's just got one calibrating push button to deal with during the salt test and bingo, It's set at 75%RH. No dials to fiddle with. Sorry maymg, I know this doesn't help you much right now but I have to advise any new guys to avoid the hygrosets in favor of the xikars. I feel that is the better choice.
  • Options
    jadeltjadelt Posts: 763 ✭✭
    Bob Luken:
    I started out with xikar digitals and when I finally got one of the round hygroset models I was very frustrated learning how to use the dial. They do work well after you figure out how to calibrate it but if anybody else is about to buy their first digital hygrometer, go with the xikar. It's just got one calibrating push button to deal with during the salt test and bingo, It's set at 75%RH. No dials to fiddle with. Sorry maymg, I know this doesn't help you much right now but If I advise any new guys to avoid the hygrosets in favor of the xikars. I feel that is the better choice.
    +1 and after I re calibrate mine I put it back in the salt baggie to confirm it is set right. +1 on the Xikars, way easier as the clicks on the dial sux.,
  • Options
    Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,019 ✭✭✭✭✭
    jadelt:
    Bob Luken:
    I started out with xikar digitals and when I finally got one of the round hygroset models I was very frustrated learning how to use the dial. They do work well after you figure out how to calibrate it but if anybody else is about to buy their first digital hygrometer, go with the xikar. It's just got one calibrating push button to deal with during the salt test and bingo, It's set at 75%RH. No dials to fiddle with. Sorry maymg, I know this doesn't help you much right now but If I advise any new guys to avoid the hygrosets in favor of the xikars. I feel that is the better choice.
    +1 and after I re calibrate mine I put it back in the salt baggie to confirm it is set right. +1 on the Xikars, way easier as the clicks on the dial sux.,
    +1 & +1 again. That's Right. After 12 hours, calibrate it and pop it right back in the bag and let it sit for another 12 just to be sure. And another cool thing about the xikars is you can calibrate without even removing it from the bag.
  • Options
    onestrangeoneonestrangeone Posts: 2,441 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bob Luken:
    jadelt:
    Bob Luken:
    +1 & +1 again. That's Right. After 12 hours, calibrate it and pop it right back in the bag and let it sit for another 12 just to be sure. And another cool thing about the xikars is you can calibrate without even removing it from the bag.
    + another 1 it took me a couple of attempts with my first Hygroset to overcome the finikyness of the dial and still being a novice it did cause undue worry, that being said I have bought a few more and they work ok, the Xikar is a lot more user freindly.
  • Options
    onestrangeoneonestrangeone Posts: 2,441 ✭✭✭✭✭
    onestrangeone:
    Bob Luken:
    jadelt:
    Bob Luken:
    + another 1 it took me a couple of attempts with my first Hygroset to overcome the finikyness of the dial and still being a novice it did cause undue worry, that being said I have bought a few more and they work ok, the Xikar is a lot more user freindly.
    PS, I seem to remember reading somewhere that if it is off by more than 3-4% it requires more than one adjustment (adjust it 3 let it sit and do it again)
  • Options
    kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    i have never had that brand but if the calibrate button doesnt seem to work for you then you can do what i did on my first hygrometer. I placed a bit of masking tape with "+4" on it to indicate that it was always 4 over what it should be.

i have since switched to Xikar (totally worth the extra cost) so i dont worry about a thing.
  • Options
    FNAFNA Posts: 55
    As the saying goes +1. If (when) I just had the one hygrometer, I would use the old 'remember one single digit number' method.

Anybody have any calibrated analogs? I know the word is digital, but I'e got plenty of analogs that came with boxes and when I move the digitals around to check different humidors, the analogs are all accurate. IOW they do work and so far, they have lasted years.