Home Non Cigar Related

wrong way to build a tree house!

Comments

• stephen_hannibalstephen_hannibal Posts: 4,317
    What a moron.

• webmostwebmost Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mr. Moron is a logger. Mrs. Moron has been running around on him when he's away in the woods. Having engaged a crack lawyer, Mrs. Moron is about to take the house in a divorce settlement. Mr. Moron pays a last visit to his house to gather his things. Being a logger, all he really wants is the tree.

“It has been a source of great pain to me to have met with so many among [my] opponents who had not the liberality to distinguish between political and social opposition; who transferred at once to the person, the hatred they bore to his political opinions.” —Thomas Jefferson (1808)

• Ken_LightKen_Light Posts: 3,537 ✭✭✭
    webmost:
    Mr. Moron is a logger. Mrs. Moron has been running around on him when he's away in the woods. Having engaged a crack lawyer, Mrs. Moron is about to take the house in a divorce settlement. Mr. Moron pays a last visit to his house to gather his things. Being a logger, all he really wants is the tree.

If this is true, Mr. Moron is my hero
    ^Troll: DO NOT FEED.
  • The_KidThe_Kid Posts: 7,869 ✭✭✭
    That guy is lucky he is alive or not seriously injured.. I've taken out my share of trees and I looked at the video pretty closely,, First of all, the tree went sideways on his cuts.. It didnt go in the direction of his face cut or felling cut. Extremely dangerous!! Lucky the tree didnt explode on him. When cutting a tree the first step is the face cut, this cut will determine which direction the tree will fall, for brevity its like cuting a piece of pie out of the tree, should not go deeper than about half the depth of the trunk Then the felling cut, which in most cases is 180 deg behind the face cut, a hinge is created and as the back cut gets deeper & deeper the tree "should" fall away, closing the piece of pie opening as it falls. You never want both cuts to meet. Looking at the video the cut facing the camera which I am "assuming" to be the face cut,, looks like he didnt open it up enough, Its also too high for my liking. Whats really bizarre and I cant tell is he is swinging an axe or a maul on the back cut, (he could be hammering a wedge),, wedges are used to ensure the tree doesnt come back on ya or used when cutting a tree that may be leaning and or top heavy in the direction you "dont" want it to go.. Not sure if this guy tried to do all this by axe,, huge mistake,, a chainsaw is really the only way to go, BTW thats a huge tree maybe he didnt have a chainsaw with a long enough bar. Hard to tell from the video, but safe to say that that tree got away from him and In any case was fn nuts

Found this short video ,,, one safety tip ,,,,,,,make sure you always have enough fuel in your chainsaw, dont want it to run dry when yer making yer cuts
  • raisindotraisindot Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭
    This whole thing seems a little bit staged to me. Someone just happens to be shooting video when this thing happens? Also, the reaction of the amateur lumberjack seems rather subdued--he doesn't look panicked or upset at all. He looks like a guy happy with the amazing prank he's just played.
    raisindot:
    This whole thing seems a little bit staged to me. Someone just happens to be shooting video when this thing happens? Also, the reaction of the amateur lumberjack seems rather subdued--he doesn't look panicked or upset at all. He looks like a guy happy with the amazing prank he's just played.
    Thats exactly what I was thinkin too,, especially from his reaction.. But I have no doubt,, that that tree got away from him.. based on where he was at in proximity to the tree when it fell,, where he was making his final cut, where the face cut is,, and the fact he was not using a chainsaw, And the clincher is how the tree fell. Look at it on youtube in full screen mode. It went sideways, A professional can hinge a tree to do that , but it wouldnt be done like that.
    Ahhhhh the good ol days,,
    If yer ever in Northern California, and want to see some big trees,, take a drive through Valley of the Giants
  • RhamlinRhamlin Posts: 8,908 ✭✭✭✭✭
    raisindot:
    Couldve just been a friend taping it. And the dude cutting was probably in shock once the tree started falling. I know I would have been. Not much you could do then but watch and hope its not going to be as bad as you think. Funny story. I once had two trees fall on a boat I was on when the bank gave way. Had us caught big time. The only thing we had to cut ourselves loose with was a small sawzall and a small hand saw. Took a few hours but we finally got ourselves free without loosing the guard rails and only part of the stanchions on the stern.
  • phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
    webmost:

YES that is good. lol, love it.

Yeah that was really funny. I remember seeing a video of two marines I belief trying to either top a tree or cut it down but they tied off to it or something and at least one of them went flying and died as well. Though it wasn't funny as they died, it was funny to laugh at their stupidity. Not sure if it was up for a darwin award .....