Home General Discussion
Options

A humidor worth the money?

I am looking at " THE ALHAMBRA" humidor on cheap humidors.com. Are these good quality humidors or are they just cheapos to get a guy by until he can buy a name brand. My local B&M has a Savoy 100 count with a nick and marked it down to $ 95 from $ 140. What should I do to make sure I get the most bang for my buck. This will be my first humidor and am taking everyones advice on buying bigger than I think I need.

Comments

• Options
    kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    WaxingMoonWaxingMoon Posts: 328
    Being a person who makes humidors, I would say.... yes. You get what you pay for. I've looked closely at the humidors that are offered in a lot of the B&M's and some have what it takes and others don't. It all depends on what you're looking for. For example.... Good brass hinges alone can run upwards of $75.00 just for a set of two (see this link to see what good ones look like - http://brusso.com/product_cover.php ). Or, you can go to Home Depot and pick up some cheap-o's for less than $10.00 Some humidors have a spanish cedar veneer lining - less than 1/32", others go up to 3/8". Spanish Cedar is responsible for controlling the humidity - it likes it's environment to be 70% - and draws from and puts back to the humidifiers that we purchase. The thicker the Sp Cedar, the more effective it will be to control it's environment. Of course, you need a good seal. That can be accomplished many different ways - you just need to look at how it's constructed. Most humidors at the B&M's are veneers on a less expensive substrate. Nothing wrong with that, but, for me.... it's not the real deal. Materials used in solid wood construction can also make or break a humidor. For example - the Bird's Eye Maple that I used in my recent build was $25.00 per board foot - and there's at least 4 board feet in it. As opposed to picking up some oak, which can be had for $2.50 per board foot. Veneers that are used in most production humidors probably very inexpensive for the manufacturers. Veneer is the most profitable area in the "lumber market" for wood. They can shave off sheets upon sheets of the stuff off one log - and they do. On the other hand - there are some woodworkers out there that get the top of the line veneers and their stuff is definitely worth the money.. It all boils down to what you want...... and when will you be satisfied!
  • Options
    leonardleonard Posts: 359
    I bought a humi from "Cheaphumidors.com and am very happy with it. It is supposed to have a blemish in the finish somewhere but I cant find it.
  • Options
    LasabarLasabar Posts: 4,472 ✭✭✭
    I've gotten a humidor from that website and it was a place to put my sticks, but it failed the dollar bill test miserably meaning that it was not airtight. It worked but I had to focus allot of attention to it to make sure my sticks were okay
  • Options
    HugemooseHugemoose Posts: 458
    I have a 75 count from there and it is fine. Not the most beautiful, but it seals fine. Many of their humidors have lifetime guarantees. Besides ccom, they have the next best customer service I have experienced. Mind you it was only for their humidor and not cigars.

Mine was an "imperfect" and I have been very pleased with it. It does fill up quickly though!
  • Options
    jihiggsjihiggs Posts: 469 ✭✭
    ive never spent more than 40 dollars on a humidor, including the 150 count. I use beads and have no humidity problems. just make sure its spanish cedar inside, and the seal is satisfactory and its all good.
  • Options
    YankeeManYankeeMan Posts: 2,654 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My wife got me one from there for Father's Day. It was less than $100, seals great and is beautiful. It has keep the humidity just fine and we/ve been having a reall hot humid streak here in the Northeast. I'm thinking of picking up one more of thie "imperfect" ones for aging. I have a small one (15-20) that I will then use for my flavored smokes.
  • Options
    ThewelderThewelder Posts: 682 ✭✭

Lasabar:
    I've gotten a humidor from that website and it was a place to put my sticks, but it failed the dollar bill test miserably meaning that it was not airtight. It worked but I had to focus allot of attention to it to make sure my sticks were okay

Whats the dollar bill test?

• Options
    LasabarLasabar Posts: 4,472 ✭✭✭
    Thewelder:

Lasabar:

Whats the dollar bill test?

Place a dollar bill on the sides and then close the lid, if the dollar bill is tough to pull through, that side has a very good seal to keep the humid air in, if the bill pulls out loosely then the air inside your humi is also leaving very freely so you'll have to do allot of upkeep to make sure your 'gars are okay!