Home Pipes

Clay pipes....

LiquidChaos66LiquidChaos66 Posts: 3,767 ✭✭✭✭
Your thoughts? ive heard they get super hot when you smoke them and are pretty porous. anyone have experience with them?
Life is like a blind fiver. You never know what you're gonna get.

Comments

• mgk2020mgk2020 Posts: 97
    Never had one myself, but I've heard they are fragile and hot. Have never heard an advantage to them over meerschaum.
  • LiquidChaos66LiquidChaos66 Posts: 3,767 ✭✭✭✭
    All mine are briar pipes. I have one calabash with a meerschaum bowl. I love it to death! lol great cool smokes and never gets too hot. I was looking at churchwardens and saw a few clay options... obviously cheaper. I would pay more for briar any day though... looks better i think.
  • J.S.J.S. Posts: 754
    Yes, clay will get very hot. You probably will not be able to hold the bowl, but you can hold the stem. They will break (or I should say you will break it) which is why they are so cheap. They are fine for their purpose, they smoke dry, they don't ghost like a briar and you can stick them in the oven and turn the temp way up and burn all of the tar and other stuff out then they need a good cleaning. I would rather have a clay than a cob at home but a clay can not travel like a cob can it is just too fragile.
    Well I just got another bday card so I'm about $13 from buying the churchwarden I've had my eyes on. Lol :)
  • J.S.J.S. Posts: 754
    LiquidChaos66:
    Well I just got another bday card so I'm about $13 from buying the churchwarden I've had my eyes on. Lol :)
    Don't wait for it! If it is a handmade pipe once it is gone it is gone and it might be a very long time before another one comes along.
    It's been sittin at my B&M for a couple months. If it goes before I get my hands on it I have quite a few other churchwardens in my sights. :) couple of them on amazon with stands and pipe tools for decent prices too. We will see :) ill post a pic when I get whatever one i can. Lol
  • mgk2020mgk2020 Posts: 97
    LiquidChaos66:
    lol. I'm waiting on a meerschaum for my birthday next week. I've debated getting a churchwarden, let us know what you think when you get it.
  • YaksterYakster Posts: 25,527 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'll gladly bomb you Tuesday for an Opus today. 

Join us on the New Zoom vHerf (Meeting # 2619860114 Password vHerf2020 )