Home Cigar 101

Ronson jetlite

roland_7707roland_7707 Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭
How the heck do you refill one of these? Everything that iv tried has not worked.
Thanks for any help.
One God, One Truth

Comments

• RhamlinRhamlin Posts: 8,908 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Huh? Just like any other lighter. Hold it upside down then press your fluid canister down on the tip. I've found it works better to if you completely purge the lighter before refilling it.
  • ToombesToombes Posts: 4,506 ✭✭✭
    roland_7707:
    How the heck do you refill one of these? Everything that iv tried has not worked.
    Thanks for any help.

Use a small screwdriver or similar object to push down on the refill nozzle. Sometimes it helps to shake the lighter a bit. Hold it down until you no longer hear the hissing sound of escaping gas.
    Put the nozzle of your butane over the refill nozzle and press down. Count to 3-4 and that should be enough to fill the butane chamber. Put the lighter down and forget it for about ten minutes. That's enough time for the butane to return to operatin temperature. Give it a strike and adjust the flame to your desired setting.
    Hope this helps!
  • roland_7707roland_7707 Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the advice guys. Id hate to spend money on a new lighter if i can refill this one.
    One God, One Truth
  • BigshizzaBigshizza Posts: 15,644 ✭✭✭✭✭
    ^^^^^^What they said, keep trying to empty it out...over and over until nothing is left. Don't overfill it, I've done that and it screws it up. I'd say 5-6 seconds that's it. Good luck!
  • jadeltjadelt Posts: 763 ✭✭
    That is the best lighter I have. Had it for years. Best $2.50 I ever spent at Walmart. Mine refills great and lasts a long time. Gave away several. They all work and when they dont then they are disposable.
  • Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I love these, but in the last year I've bought a couple that seemed to have some flaw, would not re-fill like all the others that looked exactly like them. I haven't figured it out yet, possibly a wrong piece got drilled somewhere?.
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • CigaryCigary Posts: 630
    You can't beat a Ronson lighter for what it does and how long it lasts. It's a very forgiving lighter as far as refills...just ensure that when you recharge that you put the nozzle straight up and down so it doesn't spray butane. If it does then you end up refilling the chamber with a mixture of butane and air which is the wrong thing to do...air in the chamber causes the lighter to spit and eventually stop lighting. Purging any lighter is the right thing when it stops lighting...it still has fluid in there so purge the sucker until you don't hear anymore of the escaping gas and then you can refill it. Count to about 8 seconds...stop for 4 seconds...then charge one more time about 4 seconds as that lets the chamber adjust to the next application and it fills it up. Again, when you recharge you don't want any air left in the chamber...this is what causes a lot of issues. It's wise to turn the dial down all the way when you recharge as it allows the butane to come into the chamber easily rather than have the dial at the halfway point or where ever you had it before. Ronson also came out with "The Comet" which is a plastic butane lighter only you can refill this which makes it a wonderful lighter to take with you on trips.
    Well i purged it twice, put fuel in it without adding air, turned down the flame and now it just spits flame off and on but wont stay lit.
    Toss or keep trying?
    One God, One Truth
  • jadeltjadelt Posts: 763 ✭✭
    roland_7707:
    Well i purged it twice, put fuel in it without adding air, turned down the flame and now it just spits flame off and on but wont stay lit.
    Toss or keep trying?
    After I refill, I have to turn the adjustment all the way down or I get the same results as you describe.
  • BigshizzaBigshizza Posts: 15,644 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Amos Umwhat:
    I love these, but in the last year I've bought a couple that seemed to have some flaw, would not re-fill like all the others that looked exactly like them. I haven't figured it out yet, possibly a wrong piece got drilled somewhere?.
    Exactly! I had a brand new one that didn't seem to bring the fuel in correctly and wasn't lighting, got pissed and through it away. Thank God I have the one Jim sent me from last year..
    That seems to be the deal with this one. Thanks for helping out, but it's headed for the trash. Got some matches I can use until I can get another lighter.
    One God, One Truth
    If you are getting a spark then you know it's all about combustion after that...air in the chamber will always cause this issue....spitting flame. Purging is something that is important...it means you need to purge ALL contents from the chamber and it takes about 3-4 times until all contents are gone and you'll know it's empty when there is no more hissing as you purge. The next thing is to dial the adjustment screw down all the way....recharge making sure that when you refill that you don't get overspray as that is a sign that you are just refilling the chamber with a mix of butane and air...that causes the spitting of the flame. I've seen a lot of people just keep charging with the overspray and expect the lighter to light. It takes practice to refill without overspraying but when you are good at the technique you'll never have an issue again ( well...95 out of a 100 ) and I have over 25 lighters that will account for this. When you recharge do it for about 8 seconds...let it rest for 4 seconds...then recharge again for another 4 seconds as this is what ensures the best recharge...you fill the entire chamber w/o having any air left to cause problems. Sometimes in lighters the feeder tube comes loose and no amount of recharging will fix this...that means you take the screws out and reattach the hose..simple fix. When the chamber is full recharged then dial the screw up about 1/4 turn...let the lighter adjust to the outside temp by letting it rest for a few minutes then try to light. If it doesn't light then turn the adjustment up another 1/4 and try again.
  • Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,004 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Finally picked up one of these out of curiosity. Works great. Wish I'd gotten one sooner. I'd probably be about a hundred dollars richer now if I had bought one of these before any of my other ones. (Maybe $200)
    Lol....it wouldn't have mattered I knew about the Ronson along with the Ronson Comet and I still buy lighters..it's a sickness I tell you.
  • macs-smokesmacs-smokes Posts: 587
    I have a Ronson that is a back up. I prefer the feel of a zippo lighter and use the z-plus insert. When I take that out at the B&M I get looks until it fires. $9.00 on eBay great buy.
  • macs-smokesmacs-smokes Posts: 587
    Double post..
  • The_KidThe_Kid Posts: 7,869 ✭✭✭
    Bigshizza:
    Amos Umwhat:
    Exactly! I had a brand new one that didn't seem to bring the fuel in correctly and wasn't lighting, got pissed and through it away. Thank God I have the one Jim sent me from last year..
    do ya need the adapter to fill the jetlite?,, My butane cans dont seem to wanna work on this guy.
    The Kid:
    Bigshizza:
    Amos Umwhat:
    do ya need the adapter to fill the jetlite?,, My butane cans dont seem to wanna work on this guy.
    Most butane cans come with an adapter but some don't. I know the Ronson butane can will fit that lighter..colibri will as well and so does Lava.