Home Non Cigar Related
Options

Musical taste.

2»

Comments

• Options
    dutyjedutyje Posts: 2,263
    Stabbing Westward was always one of my favorite bands as well. I saw them a few times at small venues back in the mid-90's (when Ungod was their only album). I got to hang out with the band after the show once when they were a little bigger (shortly after Wither, Blister.... had been released). He's very shy and quiet. Wasn't a very interesting fellow, actually, but his music is awesome :)
  • Options
    madurofanmadurofan Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭
    Thats cool. I seem to remember seeing an interview or somethign saying that he was a loner. His music is anger though I loved it.
  • Options
    EmceeEmcee Posts: 132 ✭✭✭
    Slow day at work, so I dug through the archives a bit and found this thread...

I like music like I like cigars: widely varied.  Having played a horn for the past 30 years, I have a natural lean toward great jazz, blues, orchestral, etc.  I also grew up in the 80's, so I am a bit of a product of my generation, and I love the metal and rock from that era.  My mother always listened to stuff like The Doors, Cream, Paul Revere, Jimi Hendrix, Janis Joplin, stuff like that.  Dad was a big Motown fan and loved country music from the era when it wasn't pop music with a southern drawl.  So, I listen to and play a big range of music. 
    Some of my favorites:
    J.S. Bach, G. Gabrielli, Tchaikovsky, Copland
    Glenn Miller, Artie Shaw, Benny Goodman, Cab Calloway
    Anything Gershwin
    Dave Brubeck, Arturo Sandoval, Slide Hampton, Miles Davis, Herb Alpert
    Doors, later Beatles, Rolling Stones, The Who, 
    Eric Clapton in any iteration, Peter Frampton
    Ronnie Milsap, George Jones, Waylon, Willie, Randy Travis, The Judds
    Dead Milkmen, Sex Pistols, Dead Kennedys
    Metallica, Megadeth, GnR, Ozzy, Iron Maiden
    Queen, Meatloaf, Blue Oyster Cult, Chicago
    Styx, Yes, REO Speedwagon
    Nirvana, STP, Soundgarden, Audioslave
    Rage Against the Machine, Beastie Boys, Cake
    Black Keys, White Stripes, Arctic Monkeys
    Love me some Marley, Bob and Ziggy both

Not a fan of today's pop or country music. God, I could talk about music for hours! But I'll leave it at this, lol.

• Options
    CharlieHeisCharlieHeis Posts: 8,169 ✭✭✭✭✭

the type of music people listen to tottally plays into wheather or not i'll talk to em. so im just wondering who to avoid, or im looking for new stuff to listen to. your call

What a doucher. 
  • Options
    jlmartajlmarta Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭✭✭

the type of music people listen to tottally plays into wheather or not i'll talk to em. so im just wondering who to avoid, or im looking for new stuff to listen to. your call

What a doucher. 
    Kinda speaks to why he isn't around any longer, doesn't it?  B)
  • Options
    NOGILLS2NOGILLS2 Posts: 156 ✭✭✭
    Like most of you, my taste varies depending on my mood and my day. One of my favorite new groups is Saint Paul and the Broken Bones. You can find them on YouTube. 
    I am a happy man. You have made me very grateful. For this is the very first time that the Crown Jewels have ever been adequately & deliriously praised by an unprejudiced person. Still it is the cigars' own fault that this is so for it is a cigar which excites envy & jealousy in the smoker because he knows & feels the truth of which you have said; that there is no other cigar that is just like it. There are cigars which resemble it but only in appearance, not in spirit & not in the ability to dare & do. There is no other cigar that can make a person want to go away & get by himself & think this life over & wonder if it is altogether worth while. I will send you some more when you get out. Let me know. Any man of fine intelligence who is acquainted with Crown Jewels prizes them above any other gems & saves them & hoards them. I gave Harry Rogers a box two years ago & he has them yet. Let me know when you are out.
  • Options
    PatrickbrickPatrickbrick Posts: 7,741 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I rarely put music on, but when I do no one has ever heard of them.  Love me some whole wheat bread, anti flag, and the most known nofx, along with much more.
    "We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give".  Winston Churchill.
    MOW badge received.
  • Options
    jsnakejsnake Posts: 5,979 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sevendust, All That Remains, Bullet For My Valentine, Slipnot, Korn, Breaking Benjamin, Stone Sour, Disturbed, Love and Death, Papa Roach, Red, etc. like my music loud 
  • Options
    Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,025 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2017
    I like only the really good stuff. No crappy music for me. Not gonna make a long list. Let's just say my musical taste is AMAZING. (Sorry about the no-list thing. Sad for you I'm sure.)
  • Options
    YaksterYakster Posts: 25,768 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2017
    I'm like Peter, :D  I love anything with banjos, washtub basses, and jaw harps.  The high class stuff. 
    Join us on Zoom vHerf (Meeting # 2619860114 Password vHerf2020 )
  • Options
    First_WarriorFirst_Warrior Posts: 3,171 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Jimmy,Janis, and Steve Ray. Armstrong,Bird,Coltrane,and Davis. Son House,Little Walter, Muddy, Lighting, King,Collins,and the Wolf. Then there is also Callas. I remember going to see Janis in 1969. One of my jobs in my previous life was a rock band roadie for a couple of years.
  • Options
    bert873bert873 Posts: 2,561 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2017
    jsnake said:
    Sevendust, All That Remains, Bullet For My Valentine, Slipnot, Korn, Breaking Benjamin, Stone Sour, Disturbed, Love and Death, Papa Roach, Red, etc. like my music loud 
    I can do anything from this list along with Bob Marley, Eric Clapton, Rolling Stones, Thrice, Story of the Year etc. Basically if it has a guitar, bass and drums I'll probably enjoy it. 
     I'll listen to whatever if someone else is listening to it but I usually avoid all country, most rap/hip hop (unless at a party). 
    Ive learned that i enjoy a lot of stuff live that normally I wouldn't listen to on a regular basis. Nothing beats sitting at a bar/restaurant and listening to a live band playing rock/blues 
    I usually prefer listening to music over watching TV and often spend countless hours on YouTube watching music videos or live shows of bands. My time spent listening to music has decreased with the little one but before he was here I would easily say I listened to music anywhere from 3-7 hrs a day depending on what I had going on
  • Options
    Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,025 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Emcee said:

I like music like I like cigars: widely varied.  Having played a horn for the past 30 years, I have a natural lean toward great jazz, blues, orchestral, etc.  I also grew up in the 80's, so I am a bit of a product of my generation, and I love the metal and rock from that era.  My mother always listened to stuff like The Doors, Cream, Paul Revere, Jimi Hendrix, Janis Joplin, stuff like that.  Dad was a big Motown fan and loved country music from the era when it wasn't pop music with a southern drawl.  So, I listen to and play a big range of music. 
    Some of my favorites:
    Anything Gershwin
    Dead Milkmen, **** Pistols, Dead Kennedys

Not a fan of today's pop or country music. God, I could talk about music for hours! But I'll leave it at this, lol.

Your list,....... vs. everybody else's list.

• Options
    Bob_Luken said:
    Emcee said:

Some of my favorites:
    Anything Gershwin
    Dead Milkmen, **** Pistols, Dead Kennedys

Your list,....... vs. everybody else's list.

Like I said, it was a slow day at work... I had time.

• Options
    avengethisavengethis Posts: 5,687 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hanson - mmmmbop

*End thread*
    Team O'Donnell FTW!

"I've got a great cigar collection - it's actually not a collection, because that would imply I wasn't going to smoke ever last one of 'em." - Ron White
  • Options
    GuitardedGuitarded Posts: 4,647 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Emcee a horn player? Ever heard of Bill Clark from Canada? 
    Our wives worked in the fine arts dept. at UNM . Great guy, very talented jazz trumpet player. 
    Friends don't let good friends smoke cheap cigars.
  • Options
    @Guitarded no, I haven't heard of him, but now I'll do a little digging and see what I can find out there.  Love to listen to a new-to-me artist and see what they do.  And yeah, I've been playing since I was 10, trombone primarily, but I can do ok with the other brass.
  • Options
    peter4jcpeter4jc Posts: 15,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Emcee said:
    @Guitarded no, I haven't heard of him, but now I'll do a little digging and see what I can find out there.  Love to listen to a new-to-me artist and see what they do.  And yeah, I've been playing since I was 10, trombone primarily, but I can do ok with the other brass.
    For trombone, I like Bill Pearce.  Think he's dead now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MjJH3qaXdLo

"I could've had a Mi Querida!"   Nick Bardis
  • Options
    peter4jc said:
    Emcee said:
    For trombone, I like Bill Pearce.  Think he's dead now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MjJH3qaXdLo

I've heard of Bill Pearce, but it's been a long time.  Very smooth sound, and I love that.  Bill Watrous or Slide Hampton are two good ones, also.
  • Options
    twistedstemtwistedstem Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Like alot of different types of music. Anything from ABBA to Otep. But currently loving the new VOLBEAT  album and DROPKICK MURPHY.  
    My most played list on my phone
    Aerosmith
    Acdc
    Neil Diamond
    DKM
    Everclear 
    Rob Zombie
    Volbeat 

no matter where you go, there you are.

• Options
    WylaffWylaff Posts: 5,271 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've been listening to Two Steps from Hell a lot lately.
    "Cooking isn't about struggling; It's about pleasure. It's like sǝx, with a wider variety of sauces."

At any given time the urge to sing "In The Jungle" is just a whim away... A whim away... A whim away...
  • Options
    YaksterYakster Posts: 25,768 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2017
    Of course you have, Baron von Hallam, It could be your avatar and theme music...

And now you've got me listening too.
    Join us on Zoom vHerf (Meeting # 2619860114 Password vHerf2020 )