Home Non Cigar Related
Options

Got a job in my field!

No, I'm not talking about farming, lol.

I graduated top of my class from a 3 year college course just days after turning 50. The only work I found in my home town was a 3 month contract at barely more than minimum wage. Last week I got a phone call about an interview I did out of town, and they offered me the job! I start on August 26 as an IT Programmer Analyst which is exactly what I went to school for.

Unfortunately it means I have to move. I hate the idea of selling my house, but it's really too far to commute. The kids are grown up and moved out and my wife was looking for a new job anyway, so the timing could not be better.

Best of luck to all those who are job seeking and don't ever give up.

Comments

• Options
    LiquidChaos66LiquidChaos66 Posts: 3,767 ✭✭✭✭
    Congrats! It's a hard market out there and it makes me happy to hear people getting hired. :) best of luck with the move and the new job! Knock'em dead!
    Life is like a blind fiver. You never know what you're gonna get.
  • Options
    perkinkeperkinke Posts: 1,572 ✭✭✭
    Congrats man! Great to see your investment in time, energy, and money is paying off for ya.
  • Options
    reggie713reggie713 Posts: 2,517 ✭✭✭✭
    congrats!!
  • Options
    phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
    cool man, good luck selling your house and moving and all of that. sort of a fast start date to do all of that.
  • Options
    stephen_hannibalstephen_hannibal Posts: 4,317
    Congratulations man.

• Options
    roland_7707roland_7707 Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭
    Congrats brother.
    One God, One Truth
  • Options
    Ken_LightKen_Light Posts: 3,537 ✭✭✭
    Sounds like everything's aligning itself nicely. Hopefully it's not too far out of town and you can commute a bit and not rush like hell to move. Three weeks is pretty insane.
    ^Troll: DO NOT FEED.
  • Options
    jlmartajlmarta Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I agree about the timing being tight but the upside is wonderful news for you. And it'll all work out. You'll manage, you'll see. I'm really happy to hear that it's what you wanted. A lot of folks are settling for less these days. Congratulations, my friend. ..... :-/)
  • Options
    The_KidThe_Kid Posts: 7,869 ✭✭✭
    Congrats, change is good.
  • Options
    BigshizzaBigshizza Posts: 15,645 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Congrats man! I know it's been a long haul! You are bringing your dog correct?
  • Options
    camgfscamgfs Posts: 968
    Thanks everyone :)

I am trying to set up a place to stay from Monday to Friday for a couple months. 3 weeks is NOT enough time to sell/purchase/move and I gave 2 weeks notice where I work now. That leaves me only 1 week to make arrangements before I start the new job.

The dog, birds and wife will stay behind and take care of selling the house while I try to find a place closer to work. My wife will be looking for a new job and we hope to have all our ducks in a row within the next 3 months.....that's our current goal and I think it's one we can manage.

I love the small town we live in now but it won't support us with decent jobs so its time to go.

• Options
    rwheelwrightrwheelwright Posts: 3,296
    Congrats man!
  • Options
    RhamlinRhamlin Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That's fantastic brother!
  • Options
    beatnicbeatnic Posts: 4,133
    Sometimes doors open and close very quickly.
    <br< Instant Karma's gonna get you!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Options
    jj20030jj20030 Posts: 5,804 ✭✭✭✭✭
    congrats