Home Pipes
Options

Mixing tobacco's and pipes

2»

Comments

• Options
    J.S.J.S. Posts: 754
    catfishbluezz:
    Alright, this makes sense to me now. Now I am thinking 6... VA, English, Aro's, Flavored, Perique, Orientals?? That sound about right guys? And by flavored I mean the heavy Vanilla or Cherry stuff versus the aro's that are Cavendish but not overly flavored.
    If you want to go this way that is fine. I started and quickly bought 5. 1 for VA and Burley. 1 for Lat. 1 for VA/Per 1 for orientals without lat./per in them and 1 for aros which include what you are calling flavored and what many blend notes call "lightly aromatic." It is different for everyone but if a "lightly aromatic" blend has a vanilla Cavendish in it, I can taste the vanilla component right away so I see no reason to have 2 for the genre.

You can break down so far that it becomes insane and there is no real reason for it. Some dedicate pipe(s) to just 1 blend. I have considered it for 1 as I really like it and I can tell the difference in a new pipe versus a pipe that has smoked many similar blends. Others I really cannot. I know of people how also break down into other categories (e.g., cigar leaf, etc.) but at this point in your journey I would say 2 pipes are fine 6 would be a great goal but eventually you will want better quality briar, more ascetic appeal, or any number of things that will quickly increase the price. Start small and then buy what you see the need for.
  • Options
    catfishbluezzcatfishbluezz Posts: 7,000 ✭✭✭
    Well...I have four now lol. The Fe.Ro, a basket, and two cobs. I can also get more Fe.ro...for a really good deal so I will check out their higher end offerings as well. I've always had an eye for Nording too. I think for now, on more nicer one for the light Aro's i really like will suffice.
  • Options
    catfishbluezz:
    Well...I have four now lol. The Fe.Ro, a basket, and two cobs. I can also get more Fe.ro...for a really good deal so I will check out their higher end offerings as well. I've always had an eye for Nording too. I think for now, on more nicer one for the light Aro's i really like will suffice.
    Yeah, I think you have all you need for now lol. Soon you will be looking and see one that you really like, that's when you will either say, no I am not going to take the hobby that way or you will be saving up to buy it.

Right now, I have my eye on a Ferndown, but that might not happen it is a little on the high sde.
  • Options
    catfishbluezz:
    Yeah, I think you have all you need for now lol. Soon you will be looking and see one that you really like, that's when you will either say, no I am not going to take the hobby that way or you will be saving up to buy it.

Right now, I have my eye on a Ferndown, but that might not happen it is a little on the high sde.
  • Options
    The_KidThe_Kid Posts: 7,869 ✭✭✭
    J.S.:
    catfishbluezz:
    Ok cool, that makes sense as I have heard that about Perique. I had not heard that about VA's, so I assume you are speaking of the black shag correct?
    VA's will not ghost. Because they don't, they will pick up any ghost in the pipe. So if you are smoking a lot of Lat. or perique or lat/perique blends, a straight VA will pick up the ghosts lingering in the pipe. I like that once in a while but if you are trying to get to know a new blend you will have added elements that are not part of it present. You might eventually get a pipe for just VA's.

Right now, I think you are heading in a good direction. No need to break the bank buying pipes right away.
    Damn D I never gave this all that much thought.. I can def appreciate your approach,,,for me i say F It let em ghost, lol,, thats whats cleaning for,, idk ,,to each their own,, Rock on Brother!!!!! And Good Luck!!
  • Options
    Hey guys, Dustin has brought up an Issue that many enthusiast have considered and discussed,, I learned a few things on this subject and thought I would share an article I found.. I dont smoke any flavored blends, cherry,apple, peach etc so what works for me def isnt for everyone.
    I dont know who supports/sponsors this site/link so I am not advocating any company here, just trying to share some good info,
    http://pipesmagazine.com/python/pipe-smoking/dedicating-tobacco-pipes-to-pipe-tobacco-blends/
  • Options
    mgk2020mgk2020 Posts: 97
    The Kid:
    Hey guys, Dustin has brought up an Issue that many enthusiast have considered and discussed,, I learned a few things on this subject and thought I would share an article I found.. I dont smoke any flavored blends, cherry,apple, peach etc so what works for me def isnt for everyone.
    I dont know who supports/sponsors this site/link so I am not advocating any company here, just trying to share some good info,
    http://pipesmagazine.com/python/pipe-smoking/dedicating-tobacco-pipes-to-pipe-tobacco-blends/

Thanks for the post. Pretty much a condensed version of this thread. Anyone wanting to cut to the chase should just start with that post. Lol
  • Options
    mgk2020:
    The Kid:

Thanks for the post. Pretty much a condensed version of this thread. Anyone wanting to cut to the chase should just start with that post. Lol
    I do appreciate everyones thoughts and insight ,,Thanks,, maybe as I progress I'll change my approach. I just read a review on something called American Blend sweet peach pipe tobacco,,sounded yummy
  • Options
    catfishbluezz:
    This is what i ordered lol
    1 McClelland Tin Frog Mortons Cellar (100g)-A mellow, fragrant Latakia blend aged with stave cubes cut from barrels used to mature and flavor Frog Morton's own special whiskeys. Ahhh!

1 McClelland Grey Havens (100g tin)-This is something that might appeal to those who favor Danish blends of Burley, Virginia and Cavendish. It is a predominantly dark brown to black medium-cut blend with a few blond strands. Composed of Burley and matured Virginias with a Cavendish treatment, it smelled at a distance (at first upon opening) like vanilla, but directly from the tin like chocolate, though laid on with a restrained hand. What makes it interesting is the addition of Perique.

1 McClelland Frog Morton on the Bayou (100g tin)-A good Latiakia English blend that i believe Has a little perique added.

1 McClelland Blue Mountain-Rich with the finest Mountain Latakia, a classic full Balkan pipe tobacco mixture, smoother and deeply fragrant. The inspiration for this elegant mixture was a 21-year old tin of the legendary #75

1 McClelland Black Shag-The first in the 221B Series, it is a very finely cut stoved Virginia running from dark red to jet black.

1 McClelland Easy Street-Cool as the coolest jazz, soft as velvet nights, rich and creamy. A whisper of English Walnut perfects this elegant Black Cavendish.

1 McClelland Navy Cavendish-With this tobacco, we reintroduce the smoker to the traditional Navy Cavendish, pressed in cakes and aged naturally with dark Jamaican rum to achieve its rich depth of flavor, color and aroma.

1 McClelland Frog Morton on the Town-This is a softer Frog Morton blend. Frog Morton formulated this exceptionally mellow blend, fragrant with basma, smooth and rich with Latakia for his evening at the opera. This is a new blend and hailed as exceptional by all lovers of Frog Morton

So let me know which ones sound like they can be smoked in one pipe. From what you guys have described, I woudl guess that the following could be smoked in one pipe:
    Easy St, Navy, Grey Havens, and maybe the 221B?

FM on the Town, Blue Mountain, Bayou, Cellar?

Is that how you guys would separate them?
    Thats a helluva line up D, I have three blends by McClelland,, Christmas Cheer, 3 Oaks, and Wilderness
  • Options
    The Kid:
    Thats a helluva line up D, I have three blends by McClelland,, Christmas Cheer, 3 Oaks, and Wilderness

How is that 3 Oaks? It's on my to order list. McClelland is probably my favorite brand, in that I find that the vast majority of my favorites are by them.
  • Options
    Yeah everyone says McClelland rules. Had to spend $100 to get free shipping, otherwise it was $10 to ship. So you know me...had to hit the century mark lol. I really like the Frog, so I ordered plenty more, and then ordered around what I think I've liked so far.
  • Options
    catfishbluezz:
    Yeah everyone says McClelland rules. Had to spend $100 to get free shipping, otherwise it was $10 to ship. So you know me...had to hit the century mark lol. I really like the Frog, so I ordered plenty more, and then ordered around what I think I've liked so far.
    I am with you my friend. I hate shipping cost. I only order when I can get free shipping with one exception but I only order through them a couple of times a year.
  • Options
    mgk2020:
    The Kid:

How is that 3 Oaks? It's on my to order list. McClelland is probably my favorite brand, in that I find that the vast majority of my favorites are by them.
    I have yet to try it, the tin is unopened,, was trying to preserve as i already have a few others ive been working on,,I really need to get some small storage containers for my pipe tobaccy
  • Options
    catfishbluezz:

Have you tried Frog Morton's Cellar? If you like the original I think you'll really like Cellar. If you like Perique be sure to try FM Bayou too. Those are the two best in my opinion.
  • Options
    mgk2020:
    catfishbluezz:

Have you tried Frog Morton's Cellar? If you like the original I think you'll really like Cellar. If you like Perique be sure to try FM Bayou too. Those are the two best in my opinion.
    just broke in my new pipe with cellar, good stuff. Gonna try the bayou here soon as well. This week will be pipe week mainly.
  • Options
    Nice. You'll like Bayou if you like Perique. I wish I could by both of them in bulk, I'd order a pound of each, no problem. I'd consider more maybe. Sounds like you're pretty well set, but if you want to try something different and very interesting, I highly recommend Drama Reserve. Another favorite I wish I could get in bulk. Just a different experience all around.
  • Options
    mgk2020:
    Nice. You'll like Bayou if you like Perique. I wish I could by both of them in bulk, I'd order a pound of each, no problem. I'd consider more maybe. Sounds like you're pretty well set, but if you want to try something different and very interesting, I highly recommend Drama Reserve. Another favorite I wish I could get in bulk. Just a different experience all around.
    Haven't had Perique yet, so I so not know. I bought all this order one recommendations from pipe smokers and from my own tastes and likes. I'll keep an eye out for Drama for sure. For now, I've got plenty of tobacco to smoke lol.