Home Non Cigar Related
Options

Life

deejmemixxdeejmemixx Posts: 3,084 ✭✭
hey guys, mr sniper said some of you may be interested in my little world atm. As some of you know my mother is very ill, and I recently moved her from South Dakota to SC to be by us and better hospitals. She has HEP. C, congestive heart failure, liver transplant, 2 valves replaced, kidney failure etc. She was admitted back to the hospital about 1 1/2 weeks ago due to fluid build up from liver failure and congestive heart failure. All we look decent I guess, until yesterday when she was not able to breath due to fluid on the lungs (already had 1.5 liters of fluid removed). After having her use a pressurized mask that was not working and her lungs shutting down we had to put her on a ventilator to help her breath. She also has a throat cathoder (spelling) and so on.

She may never be able to come off the ventilator, this morning I did wake her to let her know I was still there and her blood pressure shot up to 170...way to high so I was told I can not wake her anymore. During the time she was awake she scribbled some notes and after some detective work, I figured out it said "feel better" and I asked her if she meant she was. I got a huge thumbs up and almost a smile. This is great, just wish it was her and not the machines making her feel good, but we will take what is giving to us.

Long story short, tough times hit everyone, and she has taught me to fight and not give up as she has not in her 15+ years of being super sick. I am going to start researching how to start a foundation or something, so I can donate money in her name to schools that need better libraries and a scholarship to a student who is ill.

She was instrumental in implementing Accelerated reader to the Midwest schools. Some of your kids may have the program at your school, it has proven to raise reading levels by leaps and bounds if the schools can keep up with it. She was a librarian for years at a middle school and loved reading, it only makes sense to continue her helping reading levels of students. I also think it is important for someone to know her story and how hard she fought no matter what was thrown at her and succeeded in life, this is important for students with illnesses that feel it is hopeless to achieve anything.

I would like to name the organization, Be a Fighter. I do not know how to get this going, how I would get donations etc....but had to share the thoughts and ramble as my brain is a bit scattered at the moment. If anything writting this has helped me shed some build up emotions that I have a problem showing .. I may need a new keyboard due to this not being waterproof.

Smoke a cigar in my mothers name tonight if you all could. Her name is Donna and is truly the strongest person I have ever met and my hero.

Comments

• Options
    The_KidThe_Kid Posts: 7,869 ✭✭✭
    Sorry to hear this,,, while things may not seem to get better, Just try to have faith and know this is a bridge we all must cross. I know that probably doesnt help ease the sting of losing someone who is loved beyond words.
    I dont know anything about charitable foundations or the like but I know some here have experience, so good luck with that. Hang in there.
  • Options
    ToombesToombes Posts: 4,506 ✭✭✭
    Shane,
    I'm terribly sorry to hear about your mom. You didn't explain how bad it was in the texts, but I knew your were pretty busy at the moment. I'm always willing to help a friend in need and I'll do everything I can to help you get your plan out into action. Having met your mom in June, I can honestly say that she is a wonderful person. Gabriel's school participates in the AR program. Even though school hasn't started here, he's already making a list of books that he wants to read. When the students reach a specific goal of AR points, they're taken on a field trip to Barnes and Noble. He really looks forward to it and has surpassed the required number of points for the last three years. I wasn't aware that your mom helped implement the program, but I thank her for such a great asset.
    I shall smoke a cigar in her honor tonight, all the while praying that she can be taken off of the ventilator with no issues. Call me if there's anything you need or if I can help out in any way. Much love, brother.
  • Options
    roland_7707roland_7707 Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭
    Prayers for you and your family brother.
    One God, One Truth
  • Options
    onestrangeoneonestrangeone Posts: 2,441 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Consider it done my friend. I will add you to my prayers as well, it is good that you talk about this so that it does not poison your soul.
  • Options
    perkinkeperkinke Posts: 1,572 ✭✭✭
    What a fantastic tribute, a great way to preserve her memory and legacy. When you're ready, look into creating a 501(c)(3).
  • Options
    Gray4linesGray4lines Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭✭✭
    perkinke:
    What a fantastic tribute, a great way to preserve her memory and legacy. When you're ready, look into creating a 501(c)(3).
    So sorry for your mom's condition, but what a great idea.

Yes, 501c3 is a "nonprofit" tax classification if im correct. Look for a "community foundation" to set up a fund. My mom works at one and thats where all of the local high school and college scholarship funds are created and didistributed.
    LLA - Lancero Lovers of America
  • Options
    RhamlinRhamlin Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sorry to hear her health is still going downhill brother. Smoking one in her honor and praying she feels better and things improve. Hope you find the info you need, I'm sure it's out there.
  • Options
    BigshizzaBigshizza Posts: 15,645 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Shane
    I'm always here for support if you need it! It's a lot for everyone to process and everyone does it in different ways! I will smoke one for you and your mom! Great idea for a reading scholarship.
  • Options
    deejmemixxdeejmemixx Posts: 3,084 ✭✭
    thanks guys, i appreciate the info.

she is in good spirits today, awake and alert, mind seems to be in good order. She was writing notes and pinching me and the grandkids, messing around and laughing. her vitals have gotten somewhat better and they may look at taking the tubes out tomorrow. She is not losing liquids as she should be with the amount of dieatrics they are giving her so this is a concern. Oxygen levels she is been given is down to 40% instead of 100% as it was all through the night. She is still in super critical condition though.