Home General Discussion

How or why did you start smoking cigars? What's YOUR story?

Just like the title says, how or why did you start smoking cigars?

For me, it was about a year ago when I transferred into a four year college, I met a kid from my dorm that liked to smoke cigars and we were talking one night and it got my interest. At first it was funny, I didn't even know how to puff on a cigar without inhaling, it just didn't seem to make sense to me. Then I had someone explain to me that it was like sucking on a straw but not swallowing. AHA! That was it, lol!

The first cigar I ever bought and smoked was a Cusano 18 Connecticut, and from then on I've been hooked.

I just love how relaxing it can be. Plus the ladies at school seem to love the smell, so many times have a group walked by and been like "Oh that smells so good, what is that?".. such an amazing conversation starter :)

What's your guys story?

Comments

• SmokeWISmokeWI Posts: 64
    *fixed problem*
  • Chuck_NChuck_N Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭
    A buddy and I started taking a yearly fishing trip to Northern Minnesota about 30 years ago. One year I bought a couple stogies to take along. The next year after I bought like 20 to take with. It made us feel like we were livin the high life. Been smoking em ever since. I find it relaxing, and still makes me feel like im living large.
  • alienmisprintalienmisprint Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭
    I was in Iraq about 5 years ago and my CSM was big into cigars. Well, at the time I thought he was, because at the time I had no idea what the T-word was, and didn't realize about all he smoked was T-word house blends, lol. Anyways, when he decided to splurge, he bought Acid Kuba Kubas. He gave me one after a particularly strenuous day, and it was really relaxing. It had been a bad day for us, but sitting out there on our little make-shift gazebo, not talking, just letting some of the stress of the day fade away was a great experience. Pretty much immediately after that, I started seeking out other cigar smokers, and I got turned onto brands like Carlos Torano, Rocky Patel, and Gurkha. I was enjoying what I had been smoking so far, but the final nail in the coffin was an Alec Bradley Pryme.

One of the civilian contractors out there was selling off a good chunk of his stash, and I picked up two of the Prymes from him. I just grabbed them because they had cedar sleeves and big fancy bands. On our flight back home, our first stop in the states was in Alaska. They had a nice smoking area upstairs, and we had about 3 hours to kill. I decided to fire up one of the Prymes to celebrate bringing back all of our guys with no losses or too severe injuries. It was my first cigar back in America, and it was amazing. To this day, it is my favorite cigar. From that point on, I've been hooked. There have been stretches of time since then that I haven't been able to enjoy a stick as often as I'd like, but I guess that's just the way it goes sometimes.
  • beatnicbeatnic Posts: 4,133
    SmokeWI:
    sorry for the double post right off the bat but can't seem to figure out why it posted the entire thing in 1 block of text instead of paragraphs that I meant for there to be?
    link

link link
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    my father and father in law smoke cigars. seemed like the right thing to do.

... it was.
  • roland_7707roland_7707 Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭
    I was in an online class with a guy who said one of his hobbies was cigars, that kinda got me interested. Then my wife said that she had a fellow teacher that smoked a cigar with a glass of burbon every night. Went over there one night and he gave me a Mocambo, which tasted like grass clippings to me, and i didnt smoke another for a couple of months until i bought the 20ct humidor and G2/G2 turbo sampler from c.com. The turbo is still one of my favorite sticks.
    One God, One Truth
  • Russ55Russ55 Posts: 2,765 ✭✭
    Many of the men in my family smoke cigars and drink scotch. That was fine for my initial exposure, but this forum, and getting together with some of it's members is really what fueled, and grew the hobby for me.

I probably started seriously around 5 years ago. My wife bought me a humidor for my birthday, a friend recommended ccom, I then ran into Tim, and it all kind of went downhill from there. =)
  • jthanatosjthanatos Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭
    One of my friends was a member of a cigar club in college, and I enjoyed some with them. Then I graduated, got married and kinda forgot about it for 4 years. When our church received a new pastor on a call, he was a retired navy chaplain with a love of cigars and pipe tobacco... and I started back up, came here for humidor advice... soon, my wife joined in my hobby, and the rest is history.
  • kaspera79kaspera79 Posts: 7,257 ✭✭✭
    My Brother-in-Law smoked Cigars.. But cheap ones. Curly Heads, Bundles that he found for like 20.00, no name stuff, or Th**pson house samplers. But he sometimes treated himself to a Montesino by Fuentes. He would harass me about smoking cigarettes, and suggested I try cigars. Thankfully it was the Montesino. I found the long filler stuff more to my liking and began my search of any and every cigar I could afford. That was twenty years ago.