Home Cigar 101

Dry Boxing

ZAPZAP Posts: 186 ✭✭
Just checked my humidor and it is at 78 humidity for some reason.  Got a week off next week and am planning on having more than a few and not looking for burn issues...

What's the protocol for dry boxing?

I left the lid open for awhile and got it to 70 but am going to bed now and guessing it will be up again tomorrow.

I guess my question is how long should I dry box the cigars I am looking to smoke...??

4 hours...24 hours...48 hours??  I have no idea...thanks for the help

Comments

• BigshizzaBigshizza Posts: 15,644 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't have too many issues with humidity but I dry box because I feel it eases the cigar into acclimation with enviornment. It's usually 8-24 hours. Have fun on your time off.
  • Lee.mcglynnLee.mcglynn Posts: 5,960 ✭✭✭✭
    I live in a tough area for humidity! If yours spiked up it could be the humidity around your humi. Over here the humidity has been around 80 which stinks and well dry boxing really will not help. What are you using as a humidifier in your humi?
    Money can't buy taste
  • CigaryCigary Posts: 630
    If your humi is reading that high then throw in some desiccant material....( packet of silica that you get in your prescriptions and or your new shoes...) this will bring your RH up quickly.
  • J.S.J.S. Posts: 754
    Cigary:
    If your humi is reading that high then throw in some desiccant material....( packet of silica that you get in your prescriptions and or your new shoes...) this will bring your RG quickly.
    That is a great idea!
  • Russ55Russ55 Posts: 2,765 ✭✭
    ZAP:
    Just checked my humidor and it is at 78 humidity for some reason.  Got a week off next week and am planning on having more than a few and not looking for burn issues...

What's the protocol for dry boxing?

I left the lid open for awhile and got it to 70 but am going to bed now and guessing it will be up again tomorrow.

I guess my question is how long should I dry box the cigars I am looking to smoke...??

4 hours...24 hours...48 hours??  I have no idea...thanks for the help
    Sounds like you need to get humidity issues sorted out rather than worry about dryboxing. You really shouldn't need to drybox most, if any cigars. There are some out there that seem to need it no matter what, but I don't waste my time with them anymore. There's no protocol really, that I'm aware of, just experiment a bit with an empty cigar box, and see what works. Try an hour, and if that doesn't work you can bump it up a few more hours, and so on. Good luck.
  • Lee.mcglynnLee.mcglynn Posts: 5,960 ✭✭✭✭
    J.S.:
    Cigary:
    If your humi is reading that high then throw in some desiccant material....( packet of silica that you get in your prescriptions and or your new shoes...) this will bring your RG quickly.
    That is a great idea!
    or you can just use boveda and your good
    Money can't buy taste
  • jthanatosjthanatos Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭
    Lee.mcglynn:
    J.S.:
    Cigary:
    That is a great idea!
    or you can just use boveda and your good
    +1 Love boveda packs. Great for traveling too.
  • ZAPZAP Posts: 186 ✭✭
    ---
    Cigary:
    If your humi is reading that high then throw in some desiccant material....( packet of silica that you get in your prescriptions and or your new shoes...) this will bring your RH up quickly.

great idea...thanks
    Lee.mcglynn:
    I live in a tough area for humidity! If yours spiked up it could be the humidity around your humi. Over here the humidity has been around 80 which stinks and well dry boxing really will not help. What are you using as a humidifier in your humi?

Yeah I think that is culprit.   Usually I have issues the other way but humidity has been high lately and real high tonight and dammit if I am not back at 78...took the humidifier out now...we'll see how that works

Forgot to mention I'm using the basic humidifier device that comes with cheap humidors....

• webmostwebmost Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭✭✭
    ZAP:
    Lee.mcglynn:

Yeah I think that is culprit.   Usually I have issues the other way but humidity has been high lately and real high tonight and dammit if I am not back at 78...took the humidifier out now...we'll see how that works

Forgot to mention I'm using the basic humidifier device that comes with cheap humidors....

Here's an easy way: Set your box beside the air conditioner. It's a lot drier there.

“It has been a source of great pain to me to have met with so many among [my] opponents who had not the liberality to distinguish between political and social opposition; who transferred at once to the person, the hatred they bore to his political opinions.” —Thomas Jefferson (1808)

• jthanatosjthanatos Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭
    ZAP:

You are a braver man than I.
  • kaspera79kaspera79 Posts: 7,257 ✭✭✭
    ZAP:
    Lee.mcglynn:

ZAP... Have you learned nothing in your time here ? That green foam is notorious for causing mold. You need to protect your investment with bead, or humi-packs.
    kaspera79:
    ZAP:
    Lee.mcglynn:

ZAP... Have you learned nothing in your time here ? That green foam is notorious for causing mold. You need to protect your investment with bead, or humi-packs.

Yeah I need to switch....I've only had this one for a month or two so hopefully I'm ok..