Home Non Cigar Related
Options

Nvidia Shield Kicking Butt!

phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
http://news.cnet.com/8301-1001_3-57597684-92/nvidia-ceo-shield-selling-out-in-stores-but-were-making-more/

I really haven't had much interest in this device and really don't get how it's selling so well but I guess it's good news. I do however wish Nvidia would perhaps not cut bait on their GPU's. I really don't know where all these articles are going with this PC dying non-sense but I don't see them going any time soon and hell the 780's were selling like hot cakes.

Comments

• Options
    jthanatosjthanatos Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭
    phobicsquirrel:
    http://news.cnet.com/8301-1001_3-57597684-92/nvidia-ceo-shield-selling-out-in-stores-but-were-making-more/

I really haven't had much interest in this device and really don't get how it's selling so well but I guess it's good news. I do however wish Nvidia would perhaps not cut bait on their GPU's. I really don't know where all these articles are going with this PC dying non-sense but I don't see them going any time soon and hell the 780's were selling like hot cakes.
    Shield is selling well for two reasons. 1. It is able to run all sorts of nifty android stuff with a real controller in a portable box... turning it into an "every system emulator".
    2. Once the kinks are worked out with the wifi streaming, being able to move about the house and still play your 1k+ gaming rig is pretty cool.

Mostly the former. On the GPU front, with CUDA and OpenCL high end GPUs are always going to be in demand, but we have kinda hit a bottleneck recently with desire. Some of these GPUs are awesome in terms of specs, but are very niche in terms of what can actually use them to full potential. Combine this with the rise of bandwidth allowing for virtual mainframe setups... the need for everyone to have duel titans is a shrinking market. It will come back at some point. PC development seems to be cyclical with old bottlenecks disappearing and new ones showing up as other components outpace the rest of the box.
  • Options
    beatnicbeatnic Posts: 4,133
    still playing games? Seems like its just the same games, different graphics, climb a wall, go fast, karate chop, shoot something, collect points, coins, kill, kill, kill. etc., etc.
  • Options
    jthanatosjthanatos Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭
    beatnic:
    Fix'd
  • Options
    J.S.J.S. Posts: 754
    Lol! That made me laugh so hard the wife came in to see what was so funny!
  • Options
    beatnicbeatnic Posts: 4,133
    jthanatos:
    beatnic:
    Fix'd
    ROTFLMFAO. OK. I'm an old fart! I stand down!. LOL
  • Options
    The_KidThe_Kid Posts: 7,869 ✭✭✭
    beatnic:
    jthanatos:
    beatnic:
    Fix'd
    ROTFLMFAO. OK. I'm an old fart! I stand down!. LOL
    lol
  • Options
    jthanatos:
    phobicsquirrel:

Shield is selling well for two reasons. 1. It is able to run all sorts of nifty android stuff with a real controller in a portable box... turning it into an "every system emulator".
    2. Once the kinks are worked out with the wifi streaming, being able to move about the house and still play your 1k+ gaming rig is pretty cool.

Mostly the former. On the GPU front, with CUDA and OpenCL high end GPUs are always going to be in demand, but we have kinda hit a bottleneck recently with desire. Some of these GPUs are awesome in terms of specs, but are very niche in terms of what can actually use them to full potential. Combine this with the rise of bandwidth allowing for virtual mainframe setups... the need for everyone to have duel titans is a shrinking market. It will come back at some point. PC development seems to be cyclical with old bottlenecks disappearing and new ones showing up as other components outpace the rest of the box.
    1k gaming rig? I guess but haven't seen one run crysis 3 on max settings. lol. Well I think it's good that something else is giving the regulars a run for their money. I am curious to see how well the new ps's and xbox's sell. Really though I think they are coming out too soon. Your right though, 2 or more titans IMO is a waste and most people don't get that high end of a card, I mean why would you? Really it's just bragging rights.
  • Options
    beatnic:
    still playing games? Seems like its just the same games, different graphics, climb a wall, go fast, karate chop, shoot something, collect points, coins, kill, kill, kill. etc., etc.
    coins? hmmm, I love me some mario but that's about all the coin collecting I do anymore.