Home Non Cigar Related
Options

Preseason Football

clearlysuspectclearlysuspect Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭✭
We've watched most of the games so far. The wife and I been suffering like crack addicts for the last month waiting for some football.

Anyone else been watching? Anything/anyone you've been impressed by so far?

For me, Stephens-Howling looked like Barry Sanders for about 10 minutes against NYG last night. Was impressed by all the QBs in the NE vs Philly game. All 1st, 2nd, and 3rd string QB's for both teams led scoring drives.

Comments

• Options
    Poopy_JonesPoopy_Jones Posts: 455 ✭✭✭
    Been watching a few games. Watching Colts-Bills live right now. Wanted to see more of Chip Kelly's offense in Philly the other day but was in and out of the TV room. My wife is a Cardinals fan ( yes I know ) and she was happy to see them beat the Packers at least. I'm still a Browns fan but I'm not dilusional
  • Options
    Poker_SlobPoker_Slob Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭✭✭
    C'mon poopy, you got to be a bit dilusional to be a Browns fan. They will be better this year than they were last year. I predict 10 and 6 for the Cleveland Browns this season. How's t hat for dilusional? FOOTBALL!!
  • Options
    Poopy_JonesPoopy_Jones Posts: 455 ✭✭✭
    10-6 for the Browns is certainly optimistic. I do agree that they will be better this year
  • Options
    webmostwebmost Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You know what's interesting about Chip Kelly's first go? He'd have one or two plays no huddle quick as a wink, then one or two huddle up. Even the players never knew. After a play, they'd stare at the sideline for a signal. If it was quick snap, they'd go quick as the ball was spotted. What happened was, the defense never knew whether they'd have time for subs or not. Took advantage of the no huddle hurry up even when pausing to discuss. Never seen it done like that.

Matt Barkley looked good.

“It has been a source of great pain to me to have met with so many among [my] opponents who had not the liberality to distinguish between political and social opposition; who transferred at once to the person, the hatred they bore to his political opinions.” —Thomas Jefferson (1808)

• Options
    Ken_LightKen_Light Posts: 3,537 ✭✭✭
    Poopy Jones:
    Been watching a few games. Watching Colts-Bills live right now. Wanted to see more of Chip Kelly's offense in Philly the other day but was in and out of the TV room. My wife is a Cardinals fan ( yes I know ) and she was happy to see them beat the Packers at least. I'm still a Browns fan but I'm not dilusional
    The Browns, if run properly, will be superbowl contenders in 1-2 years. Not this year, but soon. I said this last year (only I said 2-3) and I'm sticking to it.
    ^Troll: DO NOT FEED.
  • Options
    webmost:
    Matt Barkley looked good.

You know, when they drafted him I thought "what a great value pick in the 5th round, but how does he fit into Chip Kelly's offense?" He's never been real mobile. One of the commentators said something that finally made sense of it. "He reads defenses well, he's accurate with the football, he has great anticipation, and he makes quick decisions and gets the ball out fast." Now that I really think about it, this is exactly what Chip Kelly needs out of his QB. If he can work on his mobility even a little (and it already seems like he has) then he'll be a perfect fit!
  • Options
    Ken Light:
    The Browns, if run properly....
    ...are the key words here. :-/
  • Options
    The_KidThe_Kid Posts: 7,869 ✭✭✭
    I think the preseason game ive enjoyed the most so far is the Pats/ Eagles,,,,,,,,,Seattles D look like its gonna be even better this year.
  • Options
    Ken_LightKen_Light Posts: 3,537 ✭✭✭
    clearlysuspect:
    Ken Light:
    The Browns, if run properly....
    ...are the key words here. :-/
    Well....yeah....that's why I had to put them in there, unfortunately.
    ^Troll: DO NOT FEED.
  • Options
    jthanatosjthanatos Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭
    I was at the at the Colts vs Bills game. Only people on either side that came to play were the Bills' special teams. Here's a couple pics from my seat

• Options
    Great seats. That looks awesome!!!
  • Options
    The Kid:
    I think the preseason game ive enjoyed the most so far is the Pats/ Eagles,,,,,,,,,Seattles D look like its gonna be even better this year.
    The first quarter of this game felt like a regular season game. Only game I think we can say that about so far. And both offenses came out clicking on all 6 cylinders. Well, the Eagles were clicking on 6 cylinders. I think the Patriots were clicking on 12 cylinders.
  • Options
    Dion Jordan (R) for Miami looks incredible. That guy was in on everything!!! He's going to be a force for that team.
  • Options
    beatnicbeatnic Posts: 4,133
    Jamall Charles of Kansas City looked impressive against the Saints. I think he got hurt today in practice. With 3 games of preaseason left , I don't think anyone knows who is gonna even play yet.
  • Options
    I'll get to see a lot of the games you guys are talking about tonight. I recorded the replays of all the ones I haven't seen yet last night on NFL Network.
  • Options
    I try to to remain unbiased when watching Tyrod Taylor, back up QB for Ravens, since I'm a die hard Virginia Tech fan. But I'm also a Ravens fan so I have to look at him objectively. That guy gets better and better every year. I really don't think a team ever wants to knock Flacco out of the game because this guy will scorch you in the air and on the ground and you didn't spend all week preparing for him.

As a VT fan I'm glad to see him doing well, but honestly never thought he ever had a chance at being an NFL quarterback.
  • Options
    Roberto99Roberto99 Posts: 1,077
    The Kid:
    I think you are right. It looks like a good year to be a seahawk fan. You got Winfield from us, he is one of the the best defensive football players I have ever seen. Played like a free safety from the corner position. Don't know if I ever saw him miss an open field tackle. He is getting older though so he isn't what he used to be. Harvin on the other hand...if you can keep him happy...realize he was on his way to league mvp by midseason last year before his "injury".
  • Options
    Roberto99:
    Harvin on the other hand...if you can keep him happy...realize he was on his way to league mvp by midseason last year before his "injury".
    Yeah..... But part of being an MVP caliber player is staying healthy. We'll see if he can do that this year. Looking forward to watching Seattle play again this year.
  • Options
    Watched a few more preseason week 1 games last night!

Chris Johnson!!!! Wow!!!

Thought Carson Palmer looked sharp for Arizona. He seems already timed up nicely with a few of his receivers. Nice timing flag pattern right out of the gates. Then Drew Stanton came in and looked sharp also. Led the team up and down the field several times.

Watched the Green Bay game. Thought it was interesting the commentators were speaking about how little the back up QB's ever get to play because Favre never came out of the game and now Rogers never comes out of the game. Graham Harrell has been there since Favre was playing and hasn't played a single reg season snap. SO WHY PICK UP VINCE YOUNG???? At what point are you ever going to look at that roster and say "You know, I think I'd rather have Vince Young in than Aaron Rogers!"
  • Options
    jthanatosjthanatos Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭
    clearlysuspect:
    At what point are you ever going to look at that roster and say "You know, I think I'd rather have Vince Young in than Aaron Rogers!"
    When you want an extra rushing threat on the field? Not that I think he will get any play time either way.
  • Options
    clearlysuspect:
    Watched a few more preseason week 1 games last night!

Chris Johnson!!!! Wow!!!

Thought Carson Palmer looked sharp for Arizona. He seems already timed up nicely with a few of his receivers. Nice timing flag pattern right out of the gates. Then Drew Stanton came in and looked sharp also. Led the team up and down the field several times.

Watched the Green Bay game. Thought it was interesting the commentators were speaking about how little the back up QB's ever get to play because Favre never came out of the game and now Rogers never comes out of the game. Graham Harrell has been there since Favre was playing and hasn't played a single reg season snap. SO WHY PICK UP VINCE YOUNG???? At what point are you ever going to look at that roster and say "You know, I think I'd rather have Vince Young in than Aaron Rogers!"
    Well, Coaches and team managers like to be prepared for any and all situations. As you mentioned Harrell has little to no experience, so they probably wanted a backup QB with experience, in the event Rogers gets the flu and cant play. I know then why have Harrell,, IDK , once again maybe for situational football, I donk know much about Harrell and his strengths and weaknesses,, How is he looking this pre-season???
  • Options
    The Kid:
    I donk know much about Harrell and his strengths and weaknesses,, How is he looking this pre-season???
    He looked alright. I watched his first couple of drives and he didn't look bad. He didn't really get to do a lot because they were trying out there new horse in the backfield, Jonathon Franklin. But he looked OK. I thought Young looked a little more impressive just because he was able to make some plays with his legs and by that time he was playing against the 4th string defense as well.
  • Options
    Man the Chargers look awfull
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,917
    The Kid:
    Suck it Rudy. :-)
  • Options
    The Kid:
    I will cheer for the Chargers once Phillip Rivers is gone. I can't stand that dude. Talented QB but I can't stand his personality. His first several seasons it was always someone else's fault, never his. No respect for that kind of leader.
  • Options
    Watched TB @ NE last night. Doug Martin went down early with an injury and Mike James out of U of Miami stepped in and did a very nice job. Watched that guy play a lot in college. He has great vision and very shifty moves.

If you play fantasy football, I'd pick up Amendola quickly!!!!! Looks like Brady's favorite new target. I think they connected 7 times for about 70 yards and a TD in the first quarter and without an incompletion!
  • Options
    bbass2bbass2 Posts: 1,059 ✭✭
    I haven't watched much of the nfl yet, but sorry to hear about your Hokie syndrome. GT is due to take you guys down this year. :P
  • Options
    deejmemixxdeejmemixx Posts: 3,084 ✭✭
    ...sea....hawks You can not watch them play and not go.... holy shi!t that is a crazy good team. They are tearing manning apart. Get ready for the seahawks bandwagon to get full.
  • Options
    deejmemixx:
    ...sea....hawks You can not watch them play and not go.... holy shi!t that is a crazy good team. They are tearing manning apart. Get ready for the seahawks bandwagon to get full.
    I dunno. I didn't see Manning make a whole lot of mistakes and none that were forced by the defense. One made tackle on a kick return and one less fumble on the goal line and that game would have looked a lot different. I mean, the Seahawks offense wasn't on the field for 43 straight minutes (not game minutes). Of those 43 minutes, about 5 minutes was taken up by a returned kick and another 5 minutes were taken up by a returned fumble. That means the Bronco offense was doing a pretty good job of staying on the field for the other 33 minutes.

That being said, we were all over the Seahawk bandwagon last year. We just love to see good football being played.
  • Options
    bbass2:
    I haven't watched much of the nfl yet, but sorry to hear about your Hokie syndrome. GT is due to take you guys down this year. :P
    Hahaha.. we'll see. I actually cheered for VT to lose every game last year, even though I've been a lifelong VT fan and the QB, Logan Thomas, and his entire family are very close to my family. Wish him all the best, but it's time for offensive coordinator Brian Stinespring to go. It was time for him to go 10 years ago. Only way for that to happen is if the team hits rock bottom. They came close last year.

As for GT, I think Bud Foster has that triple option figured out. You gotta remember where teams like VT and Miami came from, The Big East. Back in the day, Big East was practically all option teams.