Home Non Cigar Related
Options

Friendliest City in the U.S.: Personal opinion

rzamanrzaman Posts: 2,650 ✭✭✭
Just came back to Nicaragua after my month long home leave in the U.S. I have been to East, West, Mid-West, North-West and Alaska. The cruise trip was really fun and I will write something later. I had a short unscheduled work trip in Portland, Oregon. I have been traveling around the world since I was 13. I have been to 35 plus States but I do not hesitate to say that I found Portland, Oregon is the friendliest city in the U.S. No need to start a debate, it is simply my personal observation. Every State has friendly people but people in Oregon really caught my attention. I have been looking for a vacation house in Oregon for a while and now I am confident to buy a property there. I simply love Oregon.

When I was in Portland I was thinking of Dennis, Tony and specially Glen who is from Portland. Sorry Glen as I mention that it was an unexpected short work trip. I promise next time I will let you know when I am there. I liked every individual I met in Portland and had a great time. My wife and kids also loved the city and the State. You guys have great Thai food and wine.

I will add more information about my tour. I came back with 300 plus cigars. Now I don’t know how to store them that means I need more humidors lol. I truly miss you all and happy to be back home. Yes I call Nicaragua my home now since I have been living here four years and extended one more year. I don’t know which country I am heading next. Anyway, I hope you all are enjoying the summer.

Comments

• Options
    Glad you enjoyed yourself,, Oregon is a great state,, theyre so nice there they even pump your gas for you,,for nuthin!!!
  • Options
    BigshizzaBigshizza Posts: 15,645 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The great NW representing glad you had fun Rip!
  • Options
    Very true! I bought couple bottles of wine, beers, fish and spicies and the sells girl helped me to carry all the way to the parking area then ask me if she could join me for dinner since I bought so many exotic spices. When I gave her a confused look she gave a beautiful smile and said just kidding. That would never happen to Washington DC area where I am from.
    Secret Sasquatch:
    Glad you enjoyed yourself,, Oregon is a great state,, theyre so nice there they even pump your gas for you,,for nuthin!!!
  • Options
    I am moving from East to West coast after my retirement-:)
    Bigshizza:
    The great NW representing glad you had fun Rip!
  • Options
    webmostwebmost Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭✭✭
    rzaman:
    Very true! I bought couple bottles of wine, beers, fish and spicies and the sells girl helped me to carry all the way to the parking area then ask me if she could join me for dinner since I bought so many exotic spices. When I gave her a confused look she gave a beautiful smile and said just kidding. That would never happen to Washington DC area where I am from.
    Secret Sasquatch:
    Hope you got her number.
    “It has been a source of great pain to me to have met with so many among [my] opponents who had not the liberality to distinguish between political and social opposition; who transferred at once to the person, the hatred they bore to his political opinions.” —Thomas Jefferson (1808)

• Options
    raisindotraisindot Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭
    If I could convince my wife to move out to Portland (after first getting a job there) I'd do so in a second. Only been there once (on business years ago), and didn't interact with the local people that much, but everything else about the city--its funkiness, its off-beat character, the ever-present aroma of ganja on nearly every block--appealed to me. Plus it's surrounded by vineyards and some of the most beautiful scenery in America is accessible within an hour drive. I'd love to live there, rain and all.

As for other 'friendly' cities, I can say that my home city of Boston (and surrounding environs) are truly among the most unfriendly cities in America. But I think the most friendly city I ever went to was Minneapolis. Friendly, nonjudgemental people, strangers who say hello to you when you pass them on the street, courteous drivers, respectful store clerks, people who didn't walk around everywhere with their eyes glued to a cell phone.
  • Options
    PM her number to you Davis-:)
    webmost:
    rzaman:
    Secret Sasquatch:
    Hope you got her number.
  • Options
    My wife also liked Oregon so I am closer to the process.
    raisindot:
    If I could convince my wife to move out to Portland (after first getting a job there) I'd do so in a second. Only been there once (on business years ago), and didn't interact with the local people that much, but everything else about the city--its funkiness, its off-beat character, the ever-present aroma of ganja on nearly every block--appealed to me. Plus it's surrounded by vineyards and some of the most beautiful scenery in America is accessible within an hour drive. I'd love to live there, rain and all.

As for other 'friendly' cities, I can say that my home city of Boston (and surrounding environs) are truly among the most unfriendly cities in America. But I think the most friendly city I ever went to was Minneapolis. Friendly, nonjudgemental people, strangers who say hello to you when you pass them on the street, courteous drivers, respectful store clerks, people who didn't walk around everywhere with their eyes glued to a cell phone.
  • Options
    perkinkeperkinke Posts: 1,572 ✭✭✭
    Hehe, we do pride ourselves on being nice people here in Oregon. If you do move out here you have to promise to see the rest of the state, too many Portlanders think the state stops where their sidewalks do. ;)
  • Options
    stephen_hannibalstephen_hannibal Posts: 4,317
    I just left the Washington DC area and moved to Triangle in NC. I've only been here a week and a half and I already love it.

The DC area is soo stressful.

• Options
    jthanatosjthanatos Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭
    I have always been a fan of small town areas, especially Mid-West, South, and North-west. Nice people, no rushing, and open air. This may just be a reflection of my youth, I grew up with the closest town being a little burg of 76 people.