Home General Discussion

Why the cap?

For the longest time, I've been wondering why cigar makers leave the cap on one end of the cigar. Why don't they just cut it off at the factory?

Comments

• PuroFreakPuroFreak Posts: 4,131 ✭✭
    They place the cap on the cigar to hold the cigar together. Thats why if you cut the entire cap off the cigar it tends to unravel. You are only supposed to cut the cigar part of the way down the cap.
  • MAJORdorMoMAJORdorMo Posts: 356
    I realize that, but is it too much of a hassle for them to remove part of the cap?
  • j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    If they were to remove the cap, thus leaving both ends open, it introduces the potential for air flow through the cigar which would dry it out if it was not in a well humidified environment. Aside from that, it's obviously easier for them to apply the cap and package it rather than go through the extra step of capping it and then cutting it.
  • shamrockedshamrocked Posts: 285
    plus i like cutting my caps with a blunt pair of scissors ...
    j0z3r:
    If they were to remove the cap, thus leaving both ends open, it introduces the potential for air flow through the cigar which would dry it out if it was not in a well humidified environment. Aside from that, it's obviously easier for them to apply the cap and package it rather than go through the extra step of capping it and then cutting it.

Great answer.
    Thanks!
  • andrewhandrewh Posts: 97
    shamrocked:
    plus i like cutting my caps with a blunt pair of scissors ...
    LOL
  • zoom6zoomzoom6zoom Posts: 1,214
    If you want cigars with the ends already cut, there's always White Owls or Backwoods....
  • KriegKrieg Posts: 5,188 ✭✭✭
    Why? Because it's freaking fun

"Long ashes my friends."

• LasabarLasabar Posts: 4,472 ✭✭✭
    There's also cigars that have a chisel-like tip and all you have to do is squeeze the end and the end opens up, kinda like a self opening cigar...

But don't know of they are good or not
  • ironhorseironhorse Posts: 469
    It's a conspiracy between the cigar cutter companies and the cigar maker companies!! Those dirty money grubbin bastards!!
  • 4bob44bob4 Posts: 212
    Lasabar:
    There's also cigars that have a chisel-like tip and all you have to do is squeeze the end and the end opens up, kinda like a self opening cigar...

Damn I was told to punch both sides of my chisel when I last had one. Ass hat b&m guy.
  • LasabarLasabar Posts: 4,472 ✭✭✭
    4bob4:
    Lasabar:

Damn I was told to punch both sides of my chisel when I last had one. Ass hat b&m guy.
    Well an actual chisel tip you would punch or cut, but look up "Primeros" cigars and they have a specially rolled chisel-looking tip that you just squeeze each end and the cigar opens up... I believe Primeros are made by Victor Sinclair and come in regular cap the weird squeeze cap thingy
  • T. GervaisT. Gervais Posts: 239
    MAJORdorMo:
    I realize that, but is it too much of a hassle for them to remove part of the cap?

Is it too much of a hassle for you to cut the cap?
    T. Gervais:
    MAJORdorMo:

Is it too much of a hassle for you to cut the cap?

Touche.
  • Why don't they just cut it off at the factory? Because a punch works better?
  • FourtotheflushFourtotheflush Posts: 2,555
    MAJORdorMo:
    j0z3r:
    Great answer. Thanks!

OK, so it has to be the air flow and the dryness because they could always figure out how to put an open cap on the cigar to hold it together.