Home General Discussion
Options

Pipes & Cigars vs Cigarettes . . . And How Deeply Do You Inhale?

Personally, I think that either pipe tobacco or cigars are much better for you than cigarettes.

When I smoke my pipe, or a cigar, I do not inhale the smoke down into my lungs. I only draw the smoke into my mouth for the taste, and I blow the smoke out of my nose for the flavor and the smell which I love so very much.

Occasionally, I might accidentally get some smoke down in my throat, and I'll cough a little, but I would never deliberately draw the smoke into my lungs.

Anyway . . . . .

Here's an interesting article I found on the NCBI National Center for Biotechnology Information website at:
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16884817

2006 Oct; 54(1):11-8. Epub 2006 Aug 1.
Effects of type of smoking (pipe, cigars or cigarettes) on biological indices of tobacco exposure and toxicity.

Funck-Brentano C, Rapha

Comments

• Options
    Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,106 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I only smoke cigars and I only inhale by accident. Hey! DNA adducts levels! YOU SUCK! Haha!

I've heard that a similar level of risk exists for oral cancers in cigar & pipe smokers compared to cigarette smokers but I've always maintaned an assumption that liberal use of Kentucky Bourbon or Tennessee Whiskey will kill that **** off. Right?
  • Options
    Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,106 ✭✭✭✭✭
    And Mr Big Fat Heritic, you should get in on my weekend raffle before it's over. Better for you, new guys get more chances to win.
  • Options
    catfishbluezzcatfishbluezz Posts: 7,000 ✭✭✭
    I quit smoking cigarettes a few years ago because my voice was going to hell. I could not sing for more then 30-45 minutes max. I had dabbled in cigars, but a year after I quit I got the cigar bug, and now the pipe bug, and really I sing better then ever. As long as i do not smoke right before the show, its not a problem. I'm not too worried about them honestly, cigarettes are disgusting in comparison.
  • Options
    J.S.J.S. Posts: 754
    I only smoke pipes and cigars and I don't inhale. I also doubt that bourbon will help us lol. Moderation is the key to everything in life.
  • Options
    catfishbluezz:
    I quit smoking cigarettes a few years ago because my voice was going to hell. I could not sing for more then 30-45 minutes max. I had dabbled in cigars, but a year after I quit I got the cigar bug, and now the pipe bug, and really I sing better then ever. As long as i do not smoke right before the show, its not a problem. I'm not too worried about them honestly, cigarettes are disgusting in comparison.

Well, since you have quit cigarettes, and have come over to pipes and cigars, now, you have something to sing about!

I've been watching YouTube videos on the proper way to smoke a cigar. They always refer to the different flavors as "notes" like detecting a note of honey, or a note of ceder, etc. etc.

So, a good cigar is like a musical instrument. Only it's music to the mouth and music to the nose!

I have handmade cigars imported from the Dominican Republic, and each cigar is like a classical symphony of flavors or notes.

DA, DA, DA, DAAAAAAA!!!
    Yeah! V for Victory!