Home General Discussion
Options

Mechanic's Mouthpiece

webmostwebmost Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭✭✭
Brothers, here's a useful tip: If you, like me, enjoy a good cigar while ruminating with manly steel in hand in the garage, and if your manly rumination includes, say, fiddling with a carburetor, or removing fuel lines, then, this is important: do not smoke that stogie to the nub. Gack. Stop before you reach the place your gasoline fingers been grasping Ugh. Don't ask me how I know. Ptui.

Of course I could figure this out beforehand. But that Ave Maria was such a wonderful part of the experience that I was reluctant to toss the hind couple inches. Egad. Temptation sank me again.

In consequence of which, I am now in the market for a cigar mouthpiece for use in the garage. Nothing meerschaum and gold; nothing antique and special; just something that can kick round a workbench and serve a need. Anyone know where to get? Anyone make one?

“It has been a source of great pain to me to have met with so many among [my] opponents who had not the liberality to distinguish between political and social opposition; who transferred at once to the person, the hatred they bore to his political opinions.” —Thomas Jefferson (1808)

Comments

• Options
    thedjfish@comcast.netthedjfish@comcast.net Posts: 1,692 ✭✭✭
    Damn, now was that 87 or 91 octane?
  • Options
    Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,016 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What about one of those metal bands that come on those Macanudos? I don't have any experience with those bands but looks like if you're mechanically inclined you could make it work on any cigar that didn't exceed that band's particular ring guage.
  • Options
    Also this on ebay - Brown Medico Cigar Holder - Large - NEW
    $ 11.95 FREE Standard Shipping
  • Options
    CigaryCigary Posts: 630
    Amazon has them but you do know that they come in RG size..so if you are somebody who smokes a predominant size then you can buy them for around $13 ...if you smoke different size RG then you might have to spring for another $13. http://www.amazon.com/s?ie=UTF8&page=1&rh=i:aps,k:cigar mouthpiece
  • Options
    jgibvjgibv Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭✭✭
    So you want something simple, cheap, and easy .... to hold the cigar so you can nub it ....

How about a toothpick?
    Can't get much cheaper & simpler than that.

I've seen/read about somebody(s) on here using a toothpick as a nub holder before; don't remember what thread it was in though.

* I have a new address as of 3/24/18 *

• Options
    webmostwebmost Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bob Luken:
    What about one of those metal bands that come on those Macanudos? I don't have any experience with those bands but looks like if you're mechanically inclined you could make it work on any cigar that didn't exceed that band's particular ring guage.
    Soon's you said metal band that put me in mind of a hose clamp.
    “It has been a source of great pain to me to have met with so many among [my] opponents who had not the liberality to distinguish between political and social opposition; who transferred at once to the person, the hatred they bore to his political opinions.” —Thomas Jefferson (1808)

• Options
    webmost:
    Bob Luken:
    Soon's you said metal band that put me in mind of a hose clamp.
    See? Mechanically inclined indeed. LOL Just as long as the little thread slots don't let your fuel soaked fingers get fuel on the wrapper. Oh, I just thought of an Idea. how about a section of PVC pipe. Split it down the middle. (cut it lengthwise) Hold the two halfs onto the cigar with a rubber band. you might have to cut extra off one or both sides lengthwise so the two halfs don't exactly meet.
  • Options
    Well, I usually don't get gasoline on my fingers since I'm not a mechanic so I just stick the short butt into a pipe and smoke the rest.

A friend of mine uses a roach clip to hold the short cigar butt as pot smoker do.

• Options
    twistedstemtwistedstem Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭✭✭
    yikes.i always thought smoking and gas didnt mix well.when im trying to get the most out of a cigar i use the pick part of a pipe tool to hold it.
    no matter where you go, there you are.

• Options
    Ken_LightKen_Light Posts: 3,537 ✭✭✭
    My first thought was the Cigar Minder but now I'm thinking that might be overly bulky and complicated. But you're handy, maybe it could provide inspiration for your solution.
    ^Troll: DO NOT FEED.
  • Options
    No_one21No_one21 Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭
    Maybe a bit funny, but what if you looped 2 hose clamps together? One could hold the cigar, and the other could be like a ring for your finger. Just slide the cigar in the top one and tighten a little. You could place it upside down on a Stogiestand. Then, pick up from the clamp without the cigar with your index finger through the loop and your thumb and middle can hold it in place. I'll draw it up if you like since descriptions can be hard to visualize lol
  • Options
    pelirrojopelirrojo Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭
    On a similar train of thought, what about a zip-tie? It would keep your cigar from rolling away and you could pick it up by the excess on the zip-tie. A bag of those would be pretty cheap, but not reusable.
  • Options
    pelirrojo:
    On a similar train of thought, what about a zip-tie? It would keep your cigar from rolling away and you could pick it up by the excess on the zip-tie. A bag of those would be pretty cheap, but not reusable.
    Good idea. Some of them you can slip a knife blade or a small screwdriver up in there and get them to release.
  • Options
    The_KidThe_Kid Posts: 7,869 ✭✭✭
    pelirrojo:
    good idea! I was workin on a fuel prob last weekend myself,, must of dropped the tank from the vehichle 3-4 times.. I used my stogie stand, for the most part, and chucked it when it got a little too hard to manage.. It was time for me to get to work anyways.. on a side note JJ20030 hooked me up with a cool cigar poker/holder he got from one of his fishin buds! Ill try to find a pic and post later.
  • Options
    BamablowsBamablows Posts: 338
    Stuff the cigar down in the end of a nice light weight poker style pipe. They stand up on their own on a flat surface and no flames involved , plus you can nub the heck out of it! ;)