Home General Discussion
Options

Cigar Budget (Monthly?)

No_one21No_one21 Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭
Hey Guys,

I always like to plan things out (engineer) so I'd really like to have some sort of budget for my cigar buying/smoking. Now, I can't promise to abide by such a budget as I'm sure you all will say, but some sort of organization would help me feel less wild about the whole thing lol

My plan is 2-3 cigars a week to smoke, so about 12 cigars a month. I figure I could get that for about $40-$60 depending on how I split samplers/5-packs/etc so I'm likely looking at that range for a monthly budget. I don't know if that seems really high, or ok, or w.e so what do you guys spend?

You don't have to say what you do, but I'm a 22 yr old grad student so I really can't let this just run amok. However, I am committed to this as a hobby and it seriously helps me so I know I can afford it and make room in other budgets if I need to (like booze lol).

Comments

• Options
    thedjfish@comcast.netthedjfish@comcast.net Posts: 1,692 ✭✭✭
    you know this post is violation of a man law some where. do you know what some of wives and girlfriends or both would do if they actually knew what we spent on cigars?
    but i can say i smoke 2 a day normally, so go figure
  • Options
    J.S.J.S. Posts: 754
    I think you are wise to at least try to keep a budget. I do, and I have to keep to it but I have a lot more room to play. As a 22 yr. old grad student I think you are thinking about right. You will not have a lot of time to smoke anyway, grad school takes it from you lol.

You will be able to increase that later. Smoke what you like and if you cannot smoke as much just remember that being a student is not forever.
  • Options
    Lol can't you counter that with what they spend on shoes, jewelry, hygiene products, etc etc? Either way I'm sure I have enough Man Law Bonus Points to make up for any lost here :)
  • Options
    fla-gypsyfla-gypsy Posts: 3,023 ✭✭
    My budget? 3 to 4 cigars a day.
  • Options
    jlmartajlmarta Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭✭✭
    fla-gypsy:

WOW! I admire your consumption rate, Gypsy, but I can't imagine how a person can smoke that many. I smoke 1 a day and don't think I have the taste buds for any more than that. Or available time, either, for that matter. I'd like to smoke more but it isn't feasible for me. I'll just keep on envying you, I guess.... LOL
  • Options
    jthanatosjthanatos Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭
    jlmarta:
    fla-gypsy:

WOW! I admire your consumption rate, Gypsy, but I can't imagine how a person can smoke that many. I smoke 1 a day and don't think I have the taste buds for any more than that. Or available time, either, for that matter. I'd like to smoke more but it isn't feasible for me. I'll just keep on envying you, I guess.... LOL
    +1

If I smoke more than 3 or 4 a week, my taste buds go into full rebellion... I wish I could enjoy 3 or 4 a day. As far as the topic at hand, my cigar budget is part of my whiskey and dining out budget. And that whole number is a floating point. I know how much I want to save each month, and 25% whatever I have after savings and expenses goes into that budget. The rest gets divided between savings and pet projects. I will, however, "save up" my budget for multiple months for a big purchase like spendy Scotch, a great dinner, or some special cigars.
  • Options
    kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    if my humidors are full, i cant buy any more cigars. that is my restriction.
  • Options
    jadeltjadelt Posts: 763 ✭✭
    No_one21:
    Hey Guys,

I always like to plan things out (engineer) so I'd really like to have some sort of budget for my cigar buying/smoking. Now, I can't promise to abide by such a budget as I'm sure you all will say, but some sort of organization would help me feel less wild about the whole thing lol

My plan is 2-3 cigars a week to smoke, so about 12 cigars a month. I figure I could get that for about $40-$60 depending on how I split samplers/5-packs/etc so I'm likely looking at that range for a monthly budget. I don't know if that seems really high, or ok, or w.e so what do you guys spend?

You don't have to say what you do, but I'm a 22 yr old grad student so I really can't let this just run amok. However, I am committed to this as a hobby and it seriously helps me so I know I can afford it and make room in other budgets if I need to (like booze lol).
    My opinion. Your plan is right on if you buy online. However, there is an initial "start up" cost to accumulate some sticks (and a place to keep them). Welcome!
  • Options
    CigaryCigary Posts: 630
    I don't think any cigar enthusiast will abide by a budget as we tend to cheat when we see something that has a great price tag with it. To do 3 per week is pretty good but I'd add on caveat to this plan...put some away for resting so you can see how the profile develops over resting time. I think you will appreciate this for two reasons...one you will have a comparison of how a cigar will actually get better over time plus you will be building up your humidor. Just one stick per week will net you 52 extra cigars a year which is building up a quality humidor full of great cigars and I'd advocate buying 5 paks...3 to smoke per week and 2 to rest..that makes 104 cigars a year. 5 pak usually will come with a great price tag as well because buying up singles tends to be a little expensive as you would be buying MSRP. I'll be the one to tell you...there are cigar auctions that can save you as much as 50% off sticker and that's a great savings but you have to discipline yourself to not buying more than you can afford.
  • Options
    catfishbluezzcatfishbluezz Posts: 7,000 ✭✭✭
    Depending on how many cigars you want to smoke, buy for the future up front and your budget will even out. For example, I bought a ton of stuff earlier this year, but am not buying much now. For one, I am out of room, but I also have enough to smoke what I want when I want and age. If I want to buy a box, i either sell, smoke, or wait. So now my monthly budget is much different then it was 6 months ago when I went on a spree.
  • Options
    Well to the start-up costs I think I've done pretty well so far. Got a humidor, cutter, lighters, herf-a-dor, and 2 humidification gel things. I have bought most online, but when I go to a B&M I will certainly support them a bit.

Also, I will be keeping about 20 cigars at all times in my 50 ct and I plan to save a few of those longer term. But 50-100 saved a year isn't really in my plans. I like smoking these cigars and I don't think I'm at the point where I'm planning years ahead. I'm planning months at most.

I certainly plan on finding a few cigars that I would want more regularly so I can save on buy them with some sort of bulk (5-10). But I need new things often so I will definitely keep picking up samplers to taste as many as I can.
  • Options
    beatnicbeatnic Posts: 4,133
    fla-gypsy:
    I'm in this ballpark. However, I'm a bit dated and actually have a good income and savings, so it doesn't affect my lifestyle. I'm reminded of a saying from my college days. Its' better to have weed in times of no money than to have money in times of no weed. LOL. Build a stash now.
  • Options
    taythegibstaythegibs Posts: 2,025
    No_one21:
    Well to the start-up costs I think I've done pretty well so far. Got a humidor, cutter, lighters, herf-a-dor, and 2 humidification gel things. I have bought most online, but when I go to a B&M I will certainly support them a bit.

Also, I will be keeping about 20 cigars at all times in my 50 ct and I plan to save a few of those longer term. But 50-100 saved a year isn't really in my plans. I like smoking these cigars and I don't think I'm at the point where I'm planning years ahead. I'm planning months at most.

I certainly plan on finding a few cigars that I would want more regularly so I can save on buy them with some sort of bulk (5-10). But I need new things often so I will definitely keep picking up samplers to taste as many as I can.
    that was my thought process when i started here, but after a few deals that were too good to pass up, a bunch of trading, and a few bombs i now have about 100 'good' cigars, 30 'great' cigars and about 80 'soso' cigars. and thats down from what i did have, im gradually thinning the herd and improving my stash.
  • Options
    The_buffalonianThe_buffalonian Posts: 987 ✭✭✭
    taythegibs:
    No_one21:

that was my thought process when i started here, but after a few deals that were too good to pass up, a bunch of trading, and a few bombs i now have about 100 'good' cigars, 30 'great' cigars and about 80 'soso' cigars. and thats down from what i did have, im gradually thinning the herd and improving my stash.
    ive been doing the same thing I allow myself to get a box and/or some 5 packs in or under 160ish a month
  • Options
    jliujliu Posts: 7,735 ✭✭✭✭
    I don't have a monthly budget anymore... Spent too darn much so I am on a buying freeze. I'm thinking i'll do more trades in the future if I want to try new stuff. i used to give myself a 200 per month budget. That was a big mistake haha
  • Options
    The buffalonian:
    taythegibs:
    No_one21:

ive been doing the same thing I allow myself to get a box and/or some 5 packs in or under 160ish a month
    Ok so then I guess the question is, why have so many? I mean I understand saving some for a long time based on either aging them for a better/different smoke, or just collecting really cool cigars. But, on the scale of hundreds seems excessive unless you're really actively bombing/trading/herfing. Maybe I'm just too new lol I swear next month I'll be asking "Is it ok to only keep 350 cigars in a 400 ct humidor?"
  • Options
    thedjfish@comcast.netthedjfish@comcast.net Posts: 1,692 ✭✭✭
    oh boy you are new, some of us have excess of of the 1000 mark, some even in the 2-3-4k range.
    some for bombing most for smoking for me, i like a veriety of smokes so i have alot to chose from, some i have even forgotten i had
  • Options
    perkinkeperkinke Posts: 1,572 ✭✭✭
    I keep thinking I should plan a budget in, but I just kinda buy what sounds good and what I can get a deal on (I've picked up some really good stuff for pretty good deals on the bid sites and getting on a couple mailing lists). It's FAR easier than you think to end up with a pretty good sized, quality stash. You pick up a fiver here and there, some show up out of the blue....
  • Options
    beatnicbeatnic Posts: 4,133
    No_one21:
    The buffalonian:
    taythegibs:
    No_one21:

Ok so then I guess the question is, why have so many? I mean I understand saving some for a long time based on either aging them for a better/different smoke, or just collecting really cool cigars. But, on the scale of hundreds seems excessive unless you're really actively bombing/trading/herfing. Maybe I'm just too new lol I swear next month I'll be asking "Is it ok to only keep 350 cigars in a 400 ct humidor?"
    A lot of the members here are collectors. They try to get some of everything and store it. Others age their cigars. I understand that, but sometimes risky. Sometimes we have guys who are just nuts, and we love them. I'm a big smoker and have 3 medium sized humidors at my house, and one at my office and just smoke and replace. I do save and age a few, but that's not my bag.
    The important thing here is that when you get the urge to smoke one of your favorite cigars, that all you have to do is walk over to the humidor. You'll figure out your own needs.
  • Options
    Ken_LightKen_Light Posts: 3,537 ✭✭✭
    No_one21:
    The buffalonian:
    taythegibs:
    No_one21:

This reminds me of my father-in-law, who every time he sees my cigar collection says "You have a lifetime supply of cigars!" In truth, he might be right, if I only wanted to smoke THOSE cigars. But new things are being released all the time, my tastes change, I like to age some cigars, and I have an appreciation for a huge variety of cigars and smoke in a variety of situations so I need lots of variety. In short ,my collection will definitely not last a lifetime, in fact I'll probably get around to smoking only 1/4 of them eventually, and bomb and trade and hand out the rest, constantly updating the collection to suit my current wants. I could do this on a smaller scale, for sure, but I'm fortunate not to have to, and when you consider operating at a smaller scale you also have to sacrifice the savings that are had in bulk, not just on box prices, but in daily deals and weekend blitzes on here that are often 15-20 sticks at great discounts.

In the end, and especially as a student, you need to do what suits your needs while still fitting your budget. Of course, being so new to this, you probably need to start by figuring out your needs. That can be one of the most fun parts of the hobby though! Occasionally you'll figure out your needs by them not being met, but mostly it's lots of experimenting, so have fun with it!! (on a spreadsheet if your engineering background demands it)
    ^Troll: DO NOT FEED.
  • Options
    kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    i have about 350 cigars at the moment (this is low for me). i have this many with the intent on giving many away, aging them and some are just cool to have. I have no problem smoking them and that is what i intend to do, but some are fun to hold on to. i like saying i have "X" or "Y" cigar. I do have about 100 of them that were purchased for the sole intent on giving them a few years of age. I will get my collection back up to the 500+ mark soon. that is about where i like to be. I like to have about a box on hand of some of my favorites so there is about 75 right there that i will never be below. given what i aim to age and what i like to have plenty on hand for "everyday" use i will never be below 150-175.

i do have a few hand-fulls of cigars that i will not see again like my personal blends and a few very rare gifts that i only smoke on special occasions. so i guess my "never be below" number is closer to 250.

of course i have been building my "collection" for about 8 years now...
    it may be easier to tell you that i will never have more than 650. i think that is my max capacity.

it may just be a case of "more than i need less than i want"