Home General Discussion
Options

Want to try scotch for the first time

I am looking to find something to drink while enjoying my smokes. I know many people suggest scotch with their cigars, but I know nothing about scotch, whatsoever.

Anyone have any recommendations? Looking to keep price range to $40 or less, that way if I don't enjoy it, it isn't too much of a loss.

And can anyone maybe tell me a little about scotch? For instance do they all generally taste the same?

Thanks

Comments

• Options
    Rail_JockeyRail_Jockey Posts: 805 ✭✭✭
    Balvenie 12 or 17 year double wood
  • Options
    Russ55Russ55 Posts: 2,765 ✭✭
    No, they don't all taste the same. They can be very different depending on the location they are made. Generally, you have two different types, blends and single malts. There's actually 5, but don't worry about that yet. Blends are mixtures, as the name implies. Blends are going to be the ones you've probably heard of: Johnnie Walker, Cutty Sark, J&B, Dewar's, etc. These can be tried pretty cheaply.

Single malts to me are much more interesting. I get more out of the flavor, aroma, and experience with a good single malt. Try both. I'd recommend starting with Highland single malts first. They tend to be sweeter in character than other scotches, and a bit more friendly to noobies. Macallan makes a decent 12 year that is around 40 dollars. Dalwhinnie is another I'd recommend. In the 50-60 range. Good Scotch is expensive in my opinion. You don't have to break the bank, but it's not cheap. Try both types, experiment, and see what you like. A lot of the tasting/developing your palate info in Kuzi's big thread will work with Scotch. Hope some of that helps.
  • Options
    TridentTrident Posts: 2,561 ✭✭✭✭
    SmokeWI:
    I am looking to find something to drink while enjoying my smokes. I know many people suggest scotch with their cigars, but I know nothing about scotch, whatsoever.

Anyone have any recommendations? Looking to keep price range to $40 or less, that way if I don't enjoy it, it isn't too much of a loss.

And can anyone maybe tell me a little about scotch? For instance do they all generally taste the same?

Thanks

I usually drink scotch with my cigars. Its really hard to say try this one without knowing your tastes. Each scotch tastes different, but what you need to start with is the region. Each region has a little different flavor profile, from a smokey campfire flavor in the Islay Region, to a sweeter flavor in the speysides. It is difficult to keep the price of a good bottle of scotch below $40. JW is a blended scotch and has a various price range, my favorite being the green label for around 60. has a good complex flavor.

If you really want to stick below 40 I would look into some bourbon's or ryes. There are some great Bourbons and ryes for under $40. then you can figure out if you like whiskeys and then move over to scotch if thats the case.

There is a great section in the non cigar related about scotch. check it out.

Cheers
  • Options
    jthanatosjthanatos Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭
    Behold the Scotch Thread

But I agree 100% on Balvenie 12 Doublewood being a great jumping off point. Highland Park and Macallan are also great choices to start.
  • Options
    J.S.J.S. Posts: 754
    jthanatos:
    Behold the Scotch Thread

But I agree 100% on Balvenie 12 Doublewood being a great jumping off point. Highland Park and Macallan are also great choices to start.
    +1 on all of these. Highland Park 12 is now a great malt for the price. I, however, am just the opposite of a lot of you. I drink scotch first. I will end the evening with a cigar (never a pipe when drinking scotch) but only after I have finished drinking. I find that the smoke causes me to lose the various nuances of the scotch.
  • Options
    thedjfish@comcast.netthedjfish@comcast.net Posts: 1,692 ✭✭✭
    SmokeWI:

Thanks
    i dido this i have'nt drank a scotch ever, now cognac, well thats different
  • Options
    VisionVision Posts: 7,793 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Rare Eagle or Buffalo Trace. Single Malt.... Spend a little more and grab some Oban
  • Options
    beatnicbeatnic Posts: 4,133
    Oban, a very light, single malt scotch. Medium priced. Good place to start. If you went for an Islay first (Lagavulan or Laphroig), it might be a bit too powerful and turn you off. Stick to highlands first. If you just want to get the overall flavor of a blended scotch, Dewars is a decent one. My favorite blended scotch is Usquebach, but it is incredibly hard to find.
  • Options
    robertgreen30robertgreen30 Posts: 2,105 ✭✭✭✭
    Vision:
    Rare Eagle or Buffalo Trace. Single Malt.... Spend a little more and grab some Oban
    +1 on the oban
  • Options
    RhamlinRhamlin Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I prefer blended Scotch over single malt. My favorite is Dimple Pinch. It's a tiny bit sweet with a strong smokey peat flavor that I just love.
  • Options
    deejmemixxdeejmemixx Posts: 3,084 ✭✭
    single malt, dont go throw tuns of money down on a high year, get past 12 and it will be no diff to you. until you get your pallet right. try speyside, its great
  • Options
    CigaryCigary Posts: 630
    Scotch like other spirits are kind of an acquired taste and most people who try them for the first time tend to not like it. I suggest getting those small airplane like bottles for samplers...try them and see what blows your dress up. I don't like Scotch as a rule but do love Drambuie...drinks very well with any cigar but that's just me.
  • Options
    pelirrojopelirrojo Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭
    Just for clarification, Eagle Rare and Buffalo Trace are both bourbons and will share very few characteristics with scotches. Some good, reasonably priced whiskies to try that I would suggest would be:

Blended -- Johnny Walker Black, Dewars 12 year, Dimple Pinch, hell I've been known to enjoy some J&B from time to time.

Single Malt -- Aberfeldy 12(highland), Glenfiddich 12 or 15 if you can find a good deal(speyside), Glenlivet 12(speyside), Isle of Jura 10(island), Laphroig 10(islay), Balvenie 12 or 14 Caribbean cask(speyside).

I put the region in which these particular single malts are made in parenthesis as a reference for you. You may find a particular region that suits your tastes better than others. None of the distilleries produce whiskies that taste the "same", however some similarities can be found among distilleries within the same region. For example most scotches from the Islay region have some salty/peaty flavors in the profile. This being due to being aged near the ocean and most of the malts being dried over peat fires.

Other advice I would give is to find somewhere that does scotch tastings, or a liquor store with a knowledgeable staff that can help point you in the right direction. As with anything, but very much like cigars, one man's favorite might not do much for someone else and it's a matter of personal preference.
  • Options
    pelirrojopelirrojo Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭
    Man... now I want a glass of whisky.
  • Options
    VisionVision Posts: 7,793 ✭✭✭✭✭
    pelirrojo:
    Man... now I want a glass of whisky.

I know its not top shelf... but I am digging Jack SIngle Barrel with Coke atm.... its a mixer but still smokey and woody.... nice finish behind the sweetness of the cola
  • Options
    jthanatosjthanatos Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭
    pelirrojo:
    Other advice I would give is to find somewhere that does scotch tastings, or a liquor store with a knowledgeable staff that can help point you in the right direction. As with anything, but very much like cigars, one man's favorite might not do much for someone else and it's a matter of personal preference.
    This is very true. Everyone's taste is different. You ever make it down my way, my liquor cabinet is open for tasting.
  • Options
    beatnicbeatnic Posts: 4,133
    Cigary:
    Scotch like other spirits are kind of an acquired taste and most people who try them for the first time tend to not like it. I suggest getting those small airplane like bottles for samplers...try them and see what blows your dress up. I don't like Scotch as a rule but do love Drambuie...drinks very well with any cigar but that's just me.
    Drambuie and scotch = Rusty Nail!. I've hurt myself drinking that.
  • Options
    SmokeWISmokeWI Posts: 64
    Thanks eveyone for the feedback. Greatly appreciated