Home Cigar 101
Options

Cigar Tasting

thehilkthehilk Posts: 1,108 ✭✭✭
Ok, please go easy cause I am new to cigar smoking. At the recommendation of a fellow brother I starting following cigar manufacturers on twitter. I saw something I never heard of before called a cigar tasting. now I would just assume and I could be wrong they just would give out a free stick to everyone and that is the tasting would they? then I started imagining that they cut a stick into pieces and that's how you would do it, but then I thought that may effect the taste. I am sure I am over thinking it, but please fill me in. Thanks.

Comments

• Options
    Gray4linesGray4lines Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭✭✭
    thehilk:
    Ok, please go easy cause I am new to cigar smoking. At the recommendation of a fellow brother I starting following cigar manufacturers on twitter. I saw something I never heard of before called a cigar tasting. now I would just assume and I could be wrong they just would give out a free stick to everyone and that is the tasting would they? then I started imagining that they cut a stick into pieces and that's how you would do it, but then I thought that may effect the taste. I am sure I am over thinking it, but please fill me in. Thanks.
    Yup! Depending on the event and company there may be freebies and really good deals on boxes or samplers.
    LLA - Lancero Lovers of America
  • Options
    Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,016 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think in most cases when the term cigar tasting is used they (Manufacturer reps) are just holding an event for their brand and there may be some freebies handed out. I've heard of some tasting classes offered where you learn about different aspects of the different flavor profiles but I would think those classes are few and far between.
  • Options
    webmostwebmost Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭✭✭
    There's a restaurant near Columbia PA which offered cigar/wine/food tastings. You got, say, seven food courses with five wines with four cigars with a couple brandies. Hefty price, of course, by the time you assembled and cooked all the stuff and rented out the room all night long. They listed the courses, the wines, desserts, and so forth; but not the cigars. I called the restaurant and asked; but they were unable to say. Said they never knew until the event. Seemed strange to me; so I never signed up. Sounds like a full evening tho. Only thing missing is a chamber orchestra.

“It has been a source of great pain to me to have met with so many among [my] opponents who had not the liberality to distinguish between political and social opposition; who transferred at once to the person, the hatred they bore to his political opinions.” —Thomas Jefferson (1808)

• Options
    beatnicbeatnic Posts: 4,133
    Check with your local cigar shops. They often hold "events" where you can partake of a particular lines' collection of cigars. Here, an event may cost $10 and you get a free cigar and drinks, etc. There is usually a company rep. to answer questions and 5 for 4 kinda pricing. Good place to meet other smokers and learn, even if you don't care for the particular line.