Home Non Cigar Related

Hunting

2»

Comments

• jlmartajlmarta Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Rhamlin:
    but I've never liked the taste of deer or elk.

The taste of deer has a lot to do with it's fat. Deer fat, to me, tastes rancid. If you can cut out all the fat and replace it while cooking with, say, beef fat or bacon fat, the flavor gets markedly better. Nothing at all wrong with elk fat, though. In my world, once you've tasted elk you'll throw rocks at beef. And the best elk of all for eating is an old, dry cow. Loves me summadat elk.
  • ShotgunJohnShotgunJohn Posts: 1,545 ✭✭
    I love going hunting, I usually go deer hunting and elk hunting with my Father-In-Law. I have unfortunately been unable to go the past 2 seasons because of work.
    I love hunting with my Remington Model 770 .300 Winchester Magnum.
    I also when I get a chance go upland hunting. I use to go with my barber since my Father-In-Law doesn't hunt anything but Big Game.
    Last October I lost my barber to cancer, so needless to say I didn't go last year.

I also agree with The Kid I usually count the points excluding eye-guards and say 3x4 (3points left/4points right).
  • The_KidThe_Kid Posts: 7,869 ✭✭✭
    jlmarta:
    Rhamlin:
    but I've never liked the taste of deer or elk.

The taste of deer has a lot to do with it's fat. Deer fat, to me, tastes rancid. If you can cut out all the fat and replace it while cooking with, say, beef fat or bacon fat, the flavor gets markedly better. Nothing at all wrong with elk fat, though. In my world, once you've tasted elk you'll throw rocks at beef. And the best elk of all for eating is an old, dry cow. Loves me summadat elk.
    Yep my friends who age and debone the deer themselves will go to a butcher and buy beef fat (another name?) and add that to the meat they would grind for burger.. Totally agree with trying to remove the deer fat especially before freezing. Thats why I'd process most of the fattier cuts into something else and keep just the lean steaks..Love the taste of Elk. I hear Moose is outstanding as well.
  • ug danug dan Posts: 375
    The Kid:
    ug dan:
    I got my antelope sunday. Now i have a cow elk tag in December to wait for!
    Good Luck, What did you use for the Antelope?
    270 wsm with 130 grain
    nice!! I know nothing about antelope, do they have the same sleeping eating patterns as deer? Whats a shooter? Did you get em in morning or eve? Terrain?
  • JZJZ Posts: 827
    Bow season opens on Saturday (09/10)! Hoping for 2 - 4 deer this season!
    Damn, how do you have that many tags?
    The Kid:
    Georgia allows 10 does and 2 bucks !!
    The Kid:
    Georgia allows 10 does and 2 bucks !!
    Yea I was thinking there may of been some doe tags,, But two bucks?.Wow .Plus I read somewhere that Georgia has more B&C bucks than any other southern state...Nice!!!
    Wow! Puts the ugly little forked-horn I got in Washington to shame. Sure was good eatin' though.
  • ug danug dan Posts: 375
    The Kid:
    High fence bull. I think it was off that Broadmouth Canyon Ranch.
  • ShotgunJohnShotgunJohn Posts: 1,545 ✭✭
    The Kid:
    What a magnificent animal and a great trophy. I hunt on the East Side in Washington where it is spike only unless you draw a special tag. I have seen 5x5 that are 50 yards away and just stand and watch you because they typically get passed by.
    This one is a monster and puts all the ones I have seen to shame.
    Well my friends daughter took a 4x4 yesterday morning on the property where Im living. Its a big deer.. Got em with shotgun slug at bout 60 feet. Nice Buck her first one, Ill post a pic when he sends me one.
  • Thats excellent for a first one.
    Thanks, This pic doesnt do it justice,
    Photobucket
    The Kid:

It IS bs, isn't it? If he had killed it here in California, fine. But to kill it legally in another state... well, these do-gooder Democrats in our legislature are just looking for something to pi ss and moan about. A few of 'em ought to get the ol' stump treatment. You know the one - where ya sit him on a stump, nail his b alls to it, set the stump on fire, and hand him a dull knife.
  • jj20030jj20030 Posts: 5,804 ✭✭✭✭✭
    more wussifacation of america from the bleeding hearts and pansays, and trying to hinder/take away our rights to bare arms and hunting rights, total bs what is happening in our great country these days, btw, my hunting was good last night, and for the whiners, possum and rat on a stick is tasty! imageimage
  • gmill880gmill880 Posts: 5,947
    jj20030:
    more wussifacation of america from the bleeding hearts and pansays, and trying to hinder/take away our rights to bare arms and hunting rights, total bs what is happening in our great country these days, btw, my hunting was good last night, and for the whiners, possum and rat on a stick is tasty! imageimage

I swear I can't look at a possum without thinking about 'ol George Jones ...
  • ToombesToombes Posts: 4,506 ✭✭✭
    I cheat and deer hunt from my parent's back deck. Nothing like sitting on the porch on a frosty morning and having your Mom hand you a cup of coffee through the kitchen window. My Dad keeps grumbling about the cigar smoke keeping the deer away, though... Who woulda thunk?
  • RBeckomRBeckom Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭
    I've hunted most of my life. When our children were growing up I hunted for meat to feed the family. Now I hunt for trophies only. I've never killed an animal that I didn't consume furthermore I feel that hunting has enriched my life in numerous ways and taught me to respect the game I pursue with the up most respect. Dear has always been my favorite animal to pursue.
    jj20030:

I'm glad to see that someone has the cannon shot to SHOW what they believe in. :-)
    jj20030:

I'm glad to see that someone has the cannon shot to SHOW what they believe in. :-)
    I guess my computer thought it needed saying twice.
    The Kid:
    Thanks, This pic doesnt do it justice,
    Photobucket

Great buck. Congratulations to the hunter. I'll try to find some of my photos and post them later.