Home Non Cigar Related
Options

College Football Thread

clearlysuspectclearlysuspect Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭✭
Bigshizza:
I know it's college but the school I go to WON!!!! A Big Sky team over a PAC-12 team! Eastern Washington University 49 Oregon State Ducks 46. Pretty damn excited!
Since College Football seems to making it's way into the Preseason Football Thread, I decided to create this thread. My wife and I are college football nuts so I'll probably be around this thread much more than the other one anyway. Plus, preseason is almost over.

Bigshizza, we were glued to the television waiting for highlights from that game. Pretty awesome upset that was. We were watching the Clemson vs UGA game but we were highly interested in what was happening over there. Great win for that program.

Comments

• Options
    Spent all day saturday sipping on some Pepsi, eating the ribs I cooked overnight, and watching a whole lot of College Football.

My thoughts from Week 1:

Decided I'm boycotting Texas A&M games until they get Manziel in check. Really tired of that kid. All the talent in the world and no class whatsoever.

Clemson vs Georgia was the game of the week so far, IMO. That was a really fierce battle between two very talented teams and it lived up to the hype.

Was shocked at how well my team, VT played against Bama, which isn't very well by most other peoples standards, but certainly better than last year.

I was also shocked at how poor Alabama played. They have a lot of questions that need answers if they're going to survive the SEC this year, mainly in their offensive and defensive lines.

Did anyone else see the absolutely ridiculous playmaking by Rice WR Taylor against Texas A&M??? I'll take that guy on my team any day!

#1 team in the land right now, IMO, is Ohio State.

What are your thoughts???
  • Options
    bbass2bbass2 Posts: 1,059 ✭✭
    Agree 100% about Manziel, the kid's a clown and one heck of a QB. He could be on top of the world in the eyes of CFB fans if he would just play the game.

UGA v Clemson ties for game of the week with Vandy v Ole Miss. It was a late thursday game, but well worth staying up for. We had quite a few UGA fans over last night so I enjoyed seeing Clemson pull out the win. They will be a force this year.

Not much to say about GT since they played Elon, but there was certainly some welcome improvements, IE a kicker who can get the ball into the end zone for a touchback!
  • Options
    beatnicbeatnic Posts: 4,133
    Took the camper to Arlington, TX to tailgate and watched LSU beat TCU. I'm a big LSU fan, and yes, our coach is a freaking idiot. It should have been a route. I also was happy to watch the Ole Ballcoach take care of NC. Gonna be an interesting season.
  • Options
    roland_7707roland_7707 Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭
    GO HOGS!!!!
    One God, One Truth
  • Options
    beatnic:
    Took the camper to Arlington, TX to tailgate and watched LSU beat TCU. I'm a big LSU fan, and yes, our coach is a freaking idiot. It should have been a route. I also was happy to watch the Ole Ballcoach take care of NC. Gonna be an interesting season.
    Your coach is an idiot??? I've always been a big Les Miles fan! Not such a big fan of the Bijou Bengals since the Honey Badger departed. Glad to see he's now making his mark in the NFL.
  • Options
    perkinkeperkinke Posts: 1,572 ✭✭✭
    clearlysuspect:
    Bigshizza:
    I know it's college but the school I go to WON!!!! A Big Sky team over a PAC-12 team! Eastern Washington University 49 Oregon State Ducks 46. Pretty damn excited!
    Since College Football seems to making it's way into the Preseason Football Thread, I decided to create this thread. My wife and I are college football nuts so I'll probably be around this thread much more than the other one anyway. Plus, preseason is almost over.

Bigshizza, we were glued to the television waiting for highlights from that game. Pretty awesome upset that was. We were watching the Clemson vs UGA game but we were highly interested in what was happening over there. Great win for that program.
    Okay, first BIG correction to make: it's the Oregon State BEAVERS, Ducks are an hour south and won their game 66-3 against Nichols State (you'd get stabbed in Eugene for that mistake ;->). I was at the OSU game (my dad won tickets in some charity auction, I refuse to participate in the extortion that is college tickets these days) and their D was AWFUL. They gave up OVER 600 YARDS!! And while EW were no slouches, they executed very well, they should not have had that kind of yardage, ESPECIALLY the running yards their QB racked up. OSU is in for a very bad year if they can't stop anything. I'm not even really a football guy and I can see that.
  • Options
    BigshizzaBigshizza Posts: 15,645 ✭✭✭✭✭
    perkinke:
    clearlysuspect:
    Bigshizza:

Okay, first BIG correction to make: it's the Oregon State BEAVERS, Ducks are an hour south and won their game 66-3 against Nichols State (you'd get stabbed in Eugene for that mistake ;->). I was at the OSU game (my dad won tickets in some charity auction, I refuse to participate in the extortion that is college tickets these days) and their D was AWFUL. They gave up OVER 600 YARDS!! And while EW were no slouches, they executed very well, they should not have had that kind of yardage, ESPECIALLY the running yards their QB racked up. OSU is in for a very bad year if they can't stop anything. I'm not even really a football guy and I can see that.
    Ok Kevin my bad BEAVERS....it is! But still for my little school to do so well was quite surprising..
  • Options
    Bigshizza:
    perkinke:
    clearlysuspect:
    Bigshizza:

Ok Kevin my bad BEAVERS....it is! But still for my little school to do so well was quite surprising..
    Yeah, there were about 30,000 of us a little surprised. Except for the fact that the Beavs scored 40 points it looked like a return to the old days when I started college here and we still had a 30-year losing streak. :)
  • Options
    Poker_SlobPoker_Slob Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ohio State didn't look great against Buffalo. However, they will still beat up those ladies from Michigan at the end of the season!! And my personal opinion of Manziel...he'll be playing in Canada if he doesn't grow up.
  • Options
    Did anyone see Winston, true freshman QB from Florida State last night?? Daaaaaaaamn! Jimbo Fisher caught a good one with that kid!
  • Options
    Yes he looked really impressive! I think Clowney spent too much time on the couch reading headlines about how good he is. I'm sure coaches will still game plan around him but he's been pretty meh so far.
  • Options
    LSU
  • Options
    macs-smokesmacs-smokes Posts: 587
    K-State was kind of sloppy, but got it done. The Ragin' Cajun's played well... darn good Sunbelt team. And who is the convict that is being spoken of that is currently at Texas A&M? He will be either in jail or a coffin quickly if he does not change his ways.
  • Options
    webmostwebmost Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Did you read the series of articles in SI trashing Oklahoma State for drugs, cash, sex, and kindergarden academics to lure football players?

“It has been a source of great pain to me to have met with so many among [my] opponents who had not the liberality to distinguish between political and social opposition; who transferred at once to the person, the hatred they bore to his political opinions.” —Thomas Jefferson (1808)

• Options
    webmost:
    Did you read the series of articles in SI trashing Oklahoma State for drugs, cash, sex, and kindergarden academics to lure football players?

I read the preview of the article, can't say I'm in the least bit surprised; not at Oklahoma State specifically, but college football in general. NCAA reg's are a joke and their punishments are even worse. Either get serious about breaking programs who violate the rules or stop the pretense of having rules.

On a related note, speaking of programs whose "punishment" was a complete joke, it's just not even worth watching UO games, the Ducks are crushing Tenn. and it's barely into the third quarter.
  • Options
    webmostwebmost Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yeah, soon's my tat was done, I switched that off. No contest. Tennessee had no answer.

“It has been a source of great pain to me to have met with so many among [my] opponents who had not the liberality to distinguish between political and social opposition; who transferred at once to the person, the hatred they bore to his political opinions.” —Thomas Jefferson (1808)

• Options
    I'm seeing more teams moving toward the passing game. Just my observation.
  • Options
    My wife got me tickets to the GT v VT game last night as an early birthday present. I was on the edge of my seat the whole time waiting for GT's offense to start clicking, but it never happened. Props to Bud Foster and that god forsaken defensive line. At least the defense held up their end of the bargain. I'd considered offering a 5stick bet to you clearlysuspect, but now I'm glad I didn't lol.

I didn't get any pics after dark, but the Atlanta skyline makes for an awesome backdrop to the stadium.image