Home Cigar 101
Options

Moldy balls?

Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,016 ✭✭✭✭✭
I've got several of the clear pucks that ccom sells - (Round Crystal Humidifier – Clear)

http://www.cigar.com/cigars/viewcigar.asp?prod=M-HUM45

They contain clear gel balls that swell up when you add distilled water. I have noticed that the gel balls in one of them has turned a darker color. Kind of a gray or charcoal tint. There are no obvious fuzzy or dark spots or pieces in the puck other than the gel balls. There's just the darker tint to the gel balls.

You think this is mold?

Anybody had these gel balls just simply turn gray on you?

I've had no direct experience with mold and wondered if I should just toss this one puck just to be safe.

Comments

• Options
    LiquidChaos66LiquidChaos66 Posts: 3,767 ✭✭✭✭
    I'm remembering from a prior thread that they have been known to discolor. Not resulting from mold but maybe a chemical imbalance that changes them.
    Life is like a blind fiver. You never know what you're gonna get.
  • Options
    They're all uniform in color. Every one of those little balls is the same tint of gray.

Can you locate that thread? I did a quick search earlier but came up empty.
  • Options
    I was trying to find it myself. But my phone is being a little ****. Lol it's been within the last 2 months though.
  • Options
    Any keywords you remember from the subject line of the original post?
  • Options
    "Mold on beads" I didn't re read the thread. But from the snippet I read I'm pretty sure it's the one.
  • Options
    Ken_LightKen_Light Posts: 3,537 ✭✭✭
    ^Troll: DO NOT FEED.
  • Options
    jadeltjadelt Posts: 763 ✭✭
    I have had the round balls (the clear or blue ones that swell up) and the clear crystals (that swell up) will get black mold on them. Mine were definite black spots not uniform color. I stopped using them and now just use heartfelt beads and KL.
  • Options
    Beads - crystals - gel - The terminology can get confusing. Sometimes they call gel crystals and beads are actually more crystaline than bead-like. Sigh, somebody, pass me the Bovedas.
  • Options
    onestrangeoneonestrangeone Posts: 2,441 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have a couple of of these that have developed the dark spots as well, can't tell if it is mold or not, I have been watching for about a month and it's not spreading or anything IDK.
    I thought maybe there might have been a spot or two on the screen that didn't get coated well at the factory and the metal touching the balls caused some discoloration, not sure though.
    I have switched almost everything over to electric or KL so I only use the disc as a temporary adjustment. One of the small disc in a 20 qt container will take the RH from about 55 to about 65 in a week or so, this is good for the stuff coming out of the freezer.
  • Options
    KingoftheCoveKingoftheCove Posts: 937 ✭✭✭
    toss them all
    just use beads.............heartfelt or good KL.
    silica silica silica silica

Did I mention just use silica?

98% of the time, people who are using the gel crap, and similar.........end up with issues.

• Options
    I didn't take the time to mention that I don't use these as my primary humidification. Just like Onestangeone said, I just use these for a convenient boost in humidity. It's easier than spritzing the KL. (Damn! That makes me sound sooo lazy.)
  • Options
    KingoftheCoveKingoftheCove Posts: 937 ✭✭✭
    Bob Luken:
    I didn't take the time to mention that I don't use these as my primary humidification. Just like Onestangeone said, I just use these for a convenient boost in humidity. It's easier than spritzing the KL. (Damn! That makes me sound sooo lazy.)
    I hear ya!
    FWIW, I have 6 bead containers/trays in my big cooler, and three each in my 125ct humis.
    In my cooler, two the silica containers are my "adjustment" units. If I need to lower RH, I dry the beads from those two containers out a bit. If I need to raise RH, I spritz a bit.
    In my humis, one of the containers is my adjustment unit.
    I don't usually have to make adjustments, but when I do, it's painless/quick/easy.
    and yes...........................I drink Dos Equis.
    Stay smokey my friends..............

• Options
    Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,431 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Oh, sorry, I thought this was a personal hygiene thread
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • Options
    raisindotraisindot Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭
    Amos Umwhat:
    It took thirteen messages to get to this one? We're either becoming more gentlemanly or we're seriously off our game here, folks! :)
  • Options
    curtpickcurtpick Posts: 2,757 ✭✭✭
    Bob Luken:
    Beads - crystals - gel - The terminology can get confusing. Sometimes they call gel crystals and beads are actually more crystaline than bead-like. Sigh, somebody, pass me the Bovedas.

Now your talkin !
    Why make it so damned hard

Throw a Boveda in there and forget about it until its time to change them. In my case about every three to four months.
    Family, Friends, Golf, Cigars, Fine Whiskey, Good beer.... is there anything else ?  Follow on instagram @crguy1961
  • Options
    Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,431 ✭✭✭✭✭
    raisindot:
    Amos Umwhat:
    It took thirteen messages to get to this one? We're either becoming more gentlemanly or we're seriously off our game here, folks! :)
    Perhaps the moldy balls were seen as low hanging fruit?
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • Options
    Amos Umwhat:
    raisindot:
    Amos Umwhat:
    Perhaps the moldy balls were seen as low hanging fruit?
    Yep, it took a while but Amos took the wheel and steered us to where I knew it would eventually have to go after having worded it like I did. The question was definitely low hanging fruit.