Home General Discussion
Options

Comparing The Smell

clearlysuspectclearlysuspect Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭✭
So, lately, before I smoke a cigar, I usually take it out of my humidor and smell the wrapper. And then I'll smell the foot of the cigar. Take a nice big whif and breath in real deep. Then I'll pick up a darker cigar (if possible) and I'll do the same thing. And I'll pick up a lighter cigar (if possible) and I'll do the same. And I'll compare what I smell in these cigars. The only problem is, they all pretty much smell the same to me. I actually went through my entire humidor and, with the exception of one or two, they all pretty much smell the same. Does anyone have an explanation for this, or is my sense of smell just royally screwed. I hope I put deoderant on today? ***sniff sniff***

Comments

• Options
    Garen BGaren B Posts: 977
    Did you take them out of the cello? At least in my case everything smells the same until I take em out of the cello. Aside from that, did you do anything to kill your sense of smell i.e. burn your nostrils, smoke cigarettes etc?
  • Options
    I usually keep everything in the cellos except for one of each type that I own. I'll usually keep that one out and when I smoke it, I'll take the next one out and leave it in the humidor. So, some of these cigars have been out for a week, some a day or two, some a couple months. I used to smoke and I'll occassionally enjoy a cigarette from time to time, but I never exhaled through my nose. I could never stand that.
  • Options
    Garen BGaren B Posts: 977
    Well the only other thing I could think of doing is cleansing your nose by smelling something strong, then the cigar, then the strong thing, then another cigar. Or pay a guy to stand by your humi and tell you what each cigar smells like.
  • Options
    kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    a lot of cigars will smell very similar before the light because tobacco lets off a more distinguishable scent after it is lit. (IMHO).

if you were standing there in front of yout humidor smelling cigar after cigar, there may be something else going on. the olfactory system gets used to stimulation faster than any other sense in your body. your eyes take longer to adjust to extreme situations, your skin will almost always feel what you are touching, you will always hear the strange buzz that comes out of that old radio even after you turn it off.
    but when you enter a cigar shop and you have been there 10 minutes, you no longer notice the old smoke smell. ...and thats not just because you have a new cigar lit.

long story short
    Garen hit the nail on the head. you have to smell something very different between each cigar because otherwise you get used to the tobacco smell and it deadens your sensativity to subtle changes between cigars.
  • Options
    Oooooh. I'll try this today and see if it works for me. Coffee beans should do the trick, yes?
  • Options
    kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    maybe? maybe not. the goal is exactly opposite of what you are trying to smell. so... maybe a bowl full of lemons or oranges.
  • Options
    LasabarLasabar Posts: 4,472 ✭✭✭
    I find the best thing to smell inbetween each cigar is cocaine...

By the time I'm done rooting through the humidor I don't have pants and I'm outside, but with no cigar for some reason
  • Options
    bbc020bbc020 Posts: 1,422
    Lasabar:

By the time I'm done rooting through the humidor I don't have pants and I'm outside, but with no cigar for some reason
    HA!
  • Options
    Lasabar:

Oh that's good. My friends Whitney and Bobby are comin over tomorrow. Maybe it'd be a good idea to let them try this with me!