Home General Discussion

In general

Do you like cigars in general? I do.

I ask because at various discussion forums, I read a lot of comments about cigars that folks find "disgusting", 'awful", "trash" and advise that no one smoke any cigars made by manufacturers that produce dozens of brands..

And these are not comments about Repo Man, Raji's Untimely demise, Dark Shark etc., these are comments about national brands. Gurkha, Victor Sinclair, Macanudo and others - heck I read once that Henry Clay, my "go to" for 20 years, was the worst cigar someone ever smoked.

And prices. I've read and heard from various smokers that they can't finds any smokes under $3, 4 even $6 that they can enjoy.

Now I've been smoking cigars for 40 years, premium hand-made for 20 years and have been a "hobbyist" for more than 5.

I haven't smoked them all, but I smoke as many different brands as I can. i've paid from .10 to $30 for a cigar.

Got to tell you, I enjoy almost every single cigar I smoke. By that I mean like 99.9%. I've found none that disgust me, none that taste "like donkey's ass" ('tho I personally wouldn't be able to quantify that flavor), none that I toss an inch in because they are so awful.

No I haven't liked them all - a Mr. Hyde's Monstrous Flavors corona comes to mind, but that's a cigar I smoked a half-dozen years ago that I paid .20 for.

And I read guys don't like the smell of cigar smoke. Me, I like to go into a room where I can tell somebody has smoked cigars in the last couple of days. Some people won't smoke in the car for just this reason.

So is it a advantage to have such a discerning palate that you can only enjoy a realtively limited number of smokes? To not be able to enjoy a $1 cigar or heaven forbid a "mechanizido"? (Oh yeah, I smoke and enjoy a variety of machine-made smokes.)

Instead of developing this fine-tuned palate, I think folks should work on developing a tolerance (for lack of a better word), so you don't end up lighting up cigars that you "hate".

Comments

• brianetz1brianetz1 Posts: 4,134 ✭✭✭
    I have only been smoking cigars for 3 yearsish and seriously smoking for 9 months and even i have found cigars that i don't like. (macanudo hyde park would be one of them)

BUT

the motto i have heard around here is smoke what you like and like what you smoke. Most around here aren't going to call you out for smoking a cigar or call what you smoke disgusting. They might make a comment on how they really don't like that one or something like that. It won't get personal though......unless you are smoking flavored cigars. This place has issues with that apparently.
  • FNAFNA Posts: 55
    "Most around here aren't going to call you out for smoking a cigar or call what you smoke disgusting."

Seems to me folks do it a lot - that's what made me think to write this post.

Flavored cigars are a good example - I don't particularly care for flavored cigars, but I decided to give an ACID a try (cos' I could get one for a buck and a half the other week).

pulled the cello on a Mantra in the morning and took a whiff. Whoa, not smoking that first thing in the morning. I did light it up later in the day. Not my thing, didn't like it that much, especially the first inch. But it got a bit better for me. Bottom line, didn't really like it, but I did find it tolerable, even interesting a couple of times - I didn't hate it, didn't think it was disgusting. have no plans to ever smoke another, but WTF, it was a smoke.

Certainly there are cigars that I enjoy more or less than other cigars. heck, I like 99.9% of all dinners I eat, but sure I like some more than others.

Can I ask what didn'y you like about the Hyde Park?

For me it's a mildish, innocuous smoke, not something I would seek out, but a cigar I would take over many others (but behind many others too)..

• webmostwebmost Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭✭✭
    FNA, you and I ought to herf up some day. I, like you, have zero snooty animus against any machine made smoke, nor any positive bias just cause a stick cost a lot. I'd never say I enjoy 99% of what I smoke, the way that you do; but I can sure guarantee you that I find as many duds at twelve bucks a pop as I do at a buck a pop.

I'll send you a PM. I do a deal of motorcycle travelling. If we come within a reachable radius, we ought to sit under a tree and compare affordable favorites.

“It has been a source of great pain to me to have met with so many among [my] opponents who had not the liberality to distinguish between political and social opposition; who transferred at once to the person, the hatred they bore to his political opinions.” —Thomas Jefferson (1808)

• kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    FNA:

I ask because at various discussion forums, I read a lot of comments about cigars that folks find "disgusting", 'awful", "trash" and advise that no one smoke any cigars made by manufacturers that produce dozens of brands..

And these are not comments about Repo Man, Raji's Untimely demise, Dark Shark etc., these are comments about national brands. Gurkha, Victor Sinclair, Macanudo and others - heck I read once that Henry Clay, my "go to" for 20 years, was the worst cigar someone ever smoked.

And prices. I've read and heard from various smokers that they can't finds any smokes under $3, 4 even $6 that they can enjoy.

Now I've been smoking cigars for 40 years, premium hand-made for 20 years and have been a "hobbyist" for more than 5.

I haven't smoked them all, but I smoke as many different brands as I can. i've paid from .10 to $30 for a cigar.

Got to tell you, I enjoy almost every single cigar I smoke. By that I mean like 99.9%. I've found none that disgust me, none that taste "like donkey's ass" ('tho I personally wouldn't be able to quantify that flavor), none that I toss an inch in because they are so awful.

No I haven't liked them all - a Mr. Hyde's Monstrous Flavors corona comes to mind, but that's a cigar I smoked a half-dozen years ago that I paid .20 for.

And I read guys don't like the smell of cigar smoke. Me, I like to go into a room where I can tell somebody has smoked cigars in the last couple of days. Some people won't smoke in the car for just this reason.

So is it a advantage to have such a discerning palate that you can only enjoy a realtively limited number of smokes? To not be able to enjoy a $1 cigar or heaven forbid a "mechanizido"? (Oh yeah, I smoke and enjoy a variety of machine-made smokes.)

Instead of developing this fine-tuned palate, I think folks should work on developing a tolerance (for lack of a better word), so you don't end up lighting up cigars that you "hate".
    this is crap. not trying to be mean but seriously, you are frustrated or upset or whatever you are because people have one preference over another?

there are cigars that i dont like. I am unapologetic about that. i dont tell people that like those cigars that they are wrong, but i do say why I dont like them.

i like cigars in general but not every cigar is my cup of tea. and there is nothing wrong with that.

i will put down any brand that i think is garbage. i will tell people why i dont like them. i do have a developed palate and i like to think i did before i smoked cigars when it came to things like food or beer. so if i dont like a cigar, i am not going to try and tolerate it. i am going to say i dont like it and why. being discerning is not a bad quality. it shows that i have some standards. if i dont like a cigar i wont try and "tolerate it"
    i just wont buy it. i dont have to. cigars are a luxury item. i can be as picky as i want to be about them. i have an obligation to myself, my time, and my pocketbook to be picky about what i smoke. i work hard for my money and i want to smoke what i like. Manufacturers know that people will buy what they like. this presses them to make better cigars. having a discerning palate helps the cigar market improve.

if i say i cant find a cigar under $3.00 that i like, its not because i look down on the price. it is because i honestly cant find one. i know what i like. they all happen to have a price over $3.00.

if you have found cigars that you like under $3.00, good for you. i have not. i should not and will not feel bad about this situation or be made to feel like some sort of cigar snob.

there are still very few brands that i will truly bash but there are several that i will not ever buy. with the ever changing cigar market i hardly think that i am limiting myself. even after almost a decade of smoking cigars on a regular basis, i would venture to say that i have only smoked 10% of what is on the market now. i dont see this intolerance of garbage as "limiting" to my smoking hobby.

my time, money, and enjoyment is no place for "tolerance" of sub standard product.
  • No_one21No_one21 Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭
    brianetz1:
    I have only been smoking cigars for 3 yearsish and seriously smoking for 9 months and even i have found cigars that i don't like. (macanudo hyde park would be one of them)

BUT

the motto i have heard around here is smoke what you like and like what you smoke. Most around here aren't going to call you out for smoking a cigar or call what you smoke disgusting. They might make a comment on how they really don't like that one or something like that. It won't get personal though......unless you are smoking flavored cigars. This place has issues with that apparently.
    Feel free to send me any Macanudo Hyde Park sticks you get stuck with hehe I like em a lot. What do you dislike? Just wondering.
  • VisionVision Posts: 7,764 ✭✭✭✭✭
    kuzi16:
    FNA:

this is crap. not trying to be mean but seriously, you are frustrated or upset or whatever you are because people have one preference over another?

there are cigars that i dont like. I am unapologetic about that. i dont tell people that like those cigars that they are wrong, but i do say why I dont like them.

i like cigars in general but not every cigar is my cup of tea. and there is nothing wrong with that.

i will put down any brand that i think is garbage. i will tell people why i dont like them. i do have a developed palate and i like to think i did before i smoked cigars when it came to things like food or beer. so if i dont like a cigar, i am not going to try and tolerate it. i am going to say i dont like it and why. being discerning is not a bad quality. it shows that i have some standards. if i dont like a cigar i wont try and "tolerate it"
    i just wont buy it. i dont have to. cigars are a luxury item. i can be as picky as i want to be about them. i have an obligation to myself, my time, and my pocketbook to be picky about what i smoke. i work hard for my money and i want to smoke what i like. Manufacturers know that people will buy what they like. this presses them to make better cigars. having a discerning palate helps the cigar market improve.

if i say i cant find a cigar under $3.00 that i like, its not because i look down on the price. it is because i honestly cant find one. i know what i like. they all happen to have a price over $3.00.

if you have found cigars that you like under $3.00, good for you. i have not. i should not and will not feel bad about this situation or be made to feel like some sort of cigar snob.

there are still very few brands that i will truly bash but there are several that i will not ever buy. with the ever changing cigar market i hardly think that i am limiting myself. even after almost a decade of smoking cigars on a regular basis, i would venture to say that i have only smoked 10% of what is on the market now. i dont see this intolerance of garbage as "limiting" to my smoking hobby.
    my time, money, and enjoyment is no place for "tolerance" of sub standard product.

I think kuzi hit on it when he said they are a luxury item. Some people pound down bud light because its cheap and its beer. I pick up a 6 pack of Victory for 16 bucks because of quality and subtle nuances.... I think it may come down to a quanty over quality and vice versa for some people.
  • brianetz1brianetz1 Posts: 4,134 ✭✭✭
    FNA:
    "Most around here aren't going to call you out for smoking a cigar or call what you smoke disgusting." Seems to me folks do it a lot - that's what made me think to write this post. Flavored cigars are a good example - I don't particularly care for flavored cigars, but I decided to give an ACID a try (cos' I could get one for a buck and a half the other week). pulled the cello on a Mantra in the morning and took a whiff. Whoa, not smoking that first thing in the morning. I did light it up later in the day. Not my thing, didn't like it that much, especially the first inch. But it got a bit better for me. Bottom line, didn't really like it, but I did find it tolerable, even interesting a couple of times - I didn't hate it, didn't think it was disgusting. have no plans to ever smoke another, but WTF, it was a smoke. Certainly there are cigars that I enjoy more or less than other cigars. heck, I like 99.9% of all dinners I eat, but sure I like some more than others. Can I ask what didn'y you like about the Hyde Park? For me it's a mildish, innocuous smoke, not something I would seek out, but a cigar I would take over many others (but behind many others too)..
    I have to say i disagree with you to a point. the flavored cigars, i totally see it and made a comment about it on our virtual herf the other day. I got a decent answer about how it is bringing down the cigar industry because it is enticing younger smokers and that is dangerous, but overall the hate for them on here is pretty high.

the only other smoke i can think of that people get mean about is Gurkha and that has more to do with high sticker prices vs. quality of the smoke.

have you been to other forums? Other forums make this place look like candy land when it comes to this topic. they tear cigars like 5 vegas and other cheaper smokes a new ass hole just on the fact they are $3 smokes. i haven't seen anyone on here do something like that.

on teh hyde parks.......when i smoked them they tasted like burnt paper to me. Not appealing at all. Honestly tasted like a .40 grenadier. just no flavor what so ever. Now they were one of the first cigars i had of my own in my humidor, but after smoking my 3rd one i gave the other 2 away because i didn't like them. I would never bust anyone's chops if they liked them, but not my cup of tea.
  • AVJimAVJim Posts: 449
    Amen Kuzi.
    "I refuse to join any club that would have me as a member"
  • thedjfish@comcast.netthedjfish@comcast.net Posts: 1,692 ✭✭✭
    kuzi16:
    FNA:

i find when someone does not like a cigar and they voice there opinion on it about either "sucks" or "taste like crap" i dont think anyone would take that personally, thats that one persons personal experience with that cigar, personally i look for flavors i like, i dont think a person should have to build a tolerance to cigars they dont like, be it a $1 cigar or a $100 cigar a person, A person should build his or her palate on what they like, not what they dont, kna i have to disagree with some of your posting, but agree with smells and where your smoking,
    but disagree about tolerating cigars one does not like
    kuzi summed it up pretty well for me
  • catfishbluezzcatfishbluezz Posts: 7,000 ✭✭✭
    Gurkha is crap, they blow up...that's crap. I've yet to have a victor Sinclair that didnt leave the taste is sandpaper on my palate. To be completely honest, as a reviewer, I toss sticks that taste like manure, mulch, sandpaper, and crap all the time. Happened twice recently, and can happen for many reasons. Either way, to each his own. Don't take it personal. Who care what you like or I like as long as we are enjoying ourselves. Send me all the macs you want guys, and ou can smoke that rancid DE, AJ, and DPG crap LOL ;)
  • bigharpoonbigharpoon Posts: 2,963 ✭✭✭
    I like and appreciate your general acceptance to all cigars. Personally, I do find cigars I don't really enjoy and don't mind stopping them in exchange for a different one. I don't get many opportunities to smoke so I want each one to be as good as possible. I wish I had a broader tolerance for cigars like you do, it would make it a lot easier. It's all about enjoying yourself and camaraderie with other cigar lovers.
  • Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭✭✭
    FNA, like yourself, I enjoy most cigars. I enjoy them for what they are, Primeros Costa Ricans and Dominicans are OK with me, for when that kind of cigar is appropriate. A benefit of this is that if I've smoked them regularly for a bit, I enjoy the high end stuff even more
    SWAG is the one I just can't stand, at all, and Victor Sinclair, well, if you gave me one at your house after supper I'd probably smoke it so as not to be rude.

on the other hand

I completely understand if folks have the desire to not smoke a cigar unless it's special. I don't consider them "snobby" for this, it's just their taste.
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • FNAFNA Posts: 55
    "because people have one preference over another?"

that's not what I said at all. i in fact noted that I prefer certain cigars over others.

What I noted was people finding cigars quality cigars to be "garbage", "crap".

I've certainly read on this board people saying that every cigar Victor Sinclair makes is "crap". Company makes like 25 brands, maybe I've smoked a dozen. they are not a favorite, but they sure taste like cigars to me. I wouldn't say to anybody "Never smoke these"

Kuzi says he's mayge tried 10% of available cigars, then goes on to say "I don't see this intolerance of garbage as limiting"

This is not exattly what I'm talking about but it's a part of it. Kuzi does not in general like cigar smoking becuase he thinks 90% of cigars are gabage - without even smoking them.

Even on a level below that, cigars he doesn't like are deemed to be "sub-standard product" and this is what I'm talking about.

If you don't like a cigar, don't like the cigar, but why is it garbage or sub-standard? people may not like caviar - is that because caviar isn't fit to eat?

Me, I think and have found most cigars to be smokes, not garbage.
  • HeavyHeavy Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭
    I try to find something positive in every cigar I smoke. I don't smoke nearly as much as most of you guys on here (If I smoke 2-3 cigars a week these days that's a ton for me), so maybe I'm an eternal noob or just a cockeyed optimist. I spent money on it, I want to enjoy the time with the cigar, so I look for something good. There are only a few times that I just couldn't find anything at all positive about my experience with a cigar.

Having said that, I don't really see anyone here bashing someone for enjoying something that someone else thinks sucks. I do think just calling a cigar 'garbage' or saying it 'sucks' is somewhat lame and appreciate someone like Kuzi or Catfish or a myriad of other brothers here saying why they don't like a cigar. We all have different tastes and appreciate different qualities in cigars and i think everyone here understands and appreciates that. I like plenty of cigars that I've seen people on here say they don't like but I don't take that personally at all.

Gurkha is clearly the main brand that gets bashed here, but even amidst the bashing there are always a few sticks singled out that people like, even if they are bashing Gukhas themselves i.e. "Gurkha is a terrible company becuase of well documented x,y & z, but I still really enjoy the Symphony / Park Ave / Blue Steel whatever". My thing with Gurkha is that they have so many blends that come and go, I just don't have time to mess with them to figure out what I like. Like I said before, I'm a pretty sporadic smoker so I just won't seek them out but am always willing to try something new and never turn something down that is generously offered to me. If you like it but I don't, so be it. That just gives us something to converse about and I bet during that conversation we'll find something we do agree on. That's the beauty of cigars and this community IMO.
  • SleevePlzSleevePlz Posts: 6,249 ✭✭✭✭
    FNA, thanks for your thoughts on this, but I must say that I really disagree. I really don't have the interest in "developing a tolerance" for cigars I don't like. Why would I? I certainly wouldn't do this with anything else. I don't like Honey Boo Boo or any reality show on Bravo and definitely don't intend to learn to tolerate them. There are way too many cigars that I know I like or have a strong indication that I would like to even consider wasting my time on cigars that are, quite frankly, garbage.
    LLA - Lancero Lovers of America
  • Russ55Russ55 Posts: 2,765 ✭✭
    Maybe I'm reading the thread wrong, but it sounds like your problem is one of semantics, and the way people are expressing their opinions more than anything. I'm probably in the neighborhood of people who enjoy select, or limited cigars as opposed to anything and everything. I really like it that way. I know my tastes, and I know what I like, and don't like. You may find that limiting, but I don't. It helps me enjoy my hobby more. Taking the time to really pin down my likes/dislikes, and develop my palate has given me the freedom to know that there are some things out there that I don't have to try to know that I'm not going to like. I'm ok missing out on those because I know the chance I will enjoy will be rather small. I've already found several cigars that send me over the moon. Some are expensive, some are not.

I think the way we enjoy things is highly personal, and very subjective. For instance, I could never enjoy cigars the way my Dad does. He always smokes the same brand, never really tries anything new, and never retrohales. It would drive me nuts, but it makes him happy, so I keep quiet. When we get together we each enjoy cigars in our own way, and I don't push him to do it my way. I spend the time enjoying his company.

I don't know if that helps, or really has any bearing. I'm kind of tired right now. I should stay outta these kinds of threads.
  • phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
    I don't like a lot of the cigars I try. One of the reasons why I stopped getting samplers and the like. I figure that out of the many cigars I have tried I like a handful and I stick to them. However I do try new ones that other people really like. when I say other people, I mean people who seem to have the same tastes as I do. I rarely find cigars under 6 dollars that I enjoy (msrp). Then again I do like some house blends that are below that but most of them I do not like. However I do not judge a cigar by the price. Most 20 dollar and up sticks I feel really are not worth the price.

I really haven't been around too many people who are "snobs" with cigars. Sure many say they like or dislike a cigar but to the point of giving some one crap about liking a cigar they do not, I have not seen that many times. I do get the occasional look or weird noise from people when I say I am not a fan of the my father line. One incident came at a local cigar shop (cascade) where a younger guy (one that I don't recall seeing there too long) was talking a bit of crap because I said I didn't like the my father line all too much. That sort of, for what ever reason made him challenge me on my "cigar" ness (if that makes sense). I was put off by it especially since he was working there and when I do go there I usually drop more money on cigars than my fathers. But his attitude in general is what made me mad.

I will say that there is a general feeling around many boards that some manufactures have really turned bad. Many do not like general cigars or gurkha because of how they do business and how they turn out a lot of crap cigars. Though I tend to agree I won't bash anyone who likes them. Same with flavored cigars. I do not like them, however I do like some of the gurkha infused cigars. Personally I feel that if you like cigars, cool, but really tastes are all subjective as well as how much one has to spend on a cigar. Just because I'm smoking a expensive cigar and a person next to me is smoking a cheaper one makes no difference.

Like what was mentioned above, some like coors or bud light. I do not and I really wish those were the beers I loved because it would save me a boat load of money!
  • Lee.mcglynnLee.mcglynn Posts: 5,960 ✭✭✭✭
    I'm with the people that say not every cigar is for them. I've had a lot of duds this year and I can't understand how people will spen money on them no matter the price. A cigar is suppose to be a good experience not a eh one. You invest a lot of time to smoking one so why just make it so so. Personally I have no problem chucking a stick if I don't like it. Why try and find one small puff of somewhat enjoyment when you can get something you know you'll like! I've tried finding the bang for the buck and have had little success. I'm not saying there aren't any low cost budget sticks I enjoy but there are few. You state victer Sinclair has all these lines out but that is also what destroys a company. I will sometimes state how I'm not sure why people smoke certain things but that's because well I really do wonder. Take for instance the Ashton vsg...I think it's blan and it doesn't do a thing for me. Yet there are people who swear by this cigar and think I'm nuts for not liking it. When it comes to taste we all know what we like and I feel most of the people on here are done figuring out what they look for and like in a cigar
    Money can't buy taste
  • RhamlinRhamlin Posts: 8,908 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yup I've had a few that I didn't like. But only a couple that I didn't like because of the taste. The 55 Serie by VS is the most notable. But most I have been able to at least tolerate. But I find myself more and more getting to the point of if I can't get enjoyment out of it then why bother. If I'm smoking just to be smoking might as well get a pack of Backwoods.
  • RhamlinRhamlin Posts: 8,908 ✭✭✭✭✭
    phobicsquirrel:
    I don't like a lot of the cigars I try. One of the reasons why I stopped getting samplers and the like. I figure that out of the many cigars I have tried I like a handful and I stick to them. However I do try new ones that other people really like. when I say other people, I mean people who seem to have the same tastes as I do. I rarely find cigars under 6 dollars that I enjoy (msrp). Then again I do like some house blends that are below that but most of them I do not like. However I do not judge a cigar by the price. Most 20 dollar and up sticks I feel really are not worth the price.

I really haven't been around too many people who are "snobs" with cigars. Sure many say they like or dislike a cigar but to the point of giving some one crap about liking a cigar they do not, I have not seen that many times. I do get the occasional look or weird noise from people when I say I am not a fan of the my father line. One incident came at a local cigar shop (cascade) where a younger guy (one that I don't recall seeing there too long) was talking a bit of crap because I said I didn't like the my father line all too much. That sort of, for what ever reason made him challenge me on my "cigar" ness (if that makes sense). I was put off by it especially since he was working there and when I do go there I usually drop more money on cigars than my fathers. But his attitude in general is what made me mad.

I will say that there is a general feeling around many boards that some manufactures have really turned bad. Many do not like general cigars or gurkha because of how they do business and how they turn out a lot of crap cigars. Though I tend to agree I won't bash anyone who likes them. Same with flavored cigars. I do not like them, however I do like some of the gurkha infused cigars. Personally I feel that if you like cigars, cool, but really tastes are all subjective as well as how much one has to spend on a cigar. Just because I'm smoking a expensive cigar and a person next to me is smoking a cheaper one makes no difference.

Like what was mentioned above, some like coors or bud light. I do not and I really wish those were the beers I loved because it would save me a boat load of money!
    I've had this happen once. In a shop I was hoping to get some T52's to try but all they had were #9's and to be honest I've only had one that wowed me the rest have just been a good smoke. When the kid working there tried to push them on me I told him I thought the Undercrowns were a much better smoke, You'd have thought I was from Mars by the look he gave me. So I just paid for my V's and left.
  • AVJimAVJim Posts: 449
    All I can say is "wow". I am not saying it's crap or great. I would hate to offend anyone with an opinion. Interpret "wow" how you like.
    "I refuse to join any club that would have me as a member"
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    you are now doing the exact thing you claim that i did.
    ... you are saying i said something i didnt.
    FNA:
    "because people have one preference over another?"
    that's not what I said at all. i in fact noted that I prefer certain cigars over others
    thats fair. but if a brand consistently tastes bad to me i will still continue to say that the brand is crap.
    FNA:
    What I noted was people finding cigars quality cigars to be "garbage", "crap".
    "quality" and "crap" are apparently subjective. you are finding that people find quality cigars (to you) to be crap (to them)
    just because they are a national brand does not make them good. popularity, sales, and opinion are not necessarily indicators of quality.

burn, draw, and construction are indicators of quality.
    flavor is not. that is way too subjective.
    FNA:
    I've certainly read on this board people saying that every cigar Victor Sinclair makes is "crap". Company makes like 25 brands, maybe I've smoked a dozen. they are not a favorite, but they sure taste like cigars to me. I wouldn't say to anybody "Never smoke these"
    if i smoked 50% of the blends any company had and every one of them had serious issues i would NOT be wasting my money and time to continue smoking them.

i would also be doing my brothers here a huge disservice by not telling them about how awful they are. i would gladly help my friends save time and money via friendly suggestion to not smoke a brand.
    FNA:
    Kuzi says he's mayge tried 10% of available cigars, then goes on to say "I don't see this intolerance of garbage as limiting"
    exactly. with me having only smoked, at best, 10% of blends out there that leaves me 90% of all blends yet to try. there will always be something new for me to try. i smoke a lot of cigars. the number of blends that are on the market and constantly coming on to the market ensure that i always will have more options.
    FNA:
    This is not exattly what I'm talking about but it's a part of it. Kuzi does not in general like cigar smoking becuase he thinks 90% of cigars are gabage - without even smoking them.
    that is not at all what i have said.
    what i am saying is that i have sampled 10% of cigars out there.
    of that 10% that i have tried i will never smoke many of them again. and will go even further and say of that 10% tha i have tried and didntl like 10% are so bad that i will tell others just how bad they are so that others dont waste their time and money on them.

90% of the cigars i have smoked i have been good with. and that is only 10% of what is available on the market. given the sampling of what i have had, i would say that 90% of all cigars on the market are good enough to smoke.

haha... me... not liking smoking cigars. thats a good one.
    FNA:
    Even on a level below that, cigars he doesn't like are deemed to be "sub-standard product" and this is what I'm talking about.
    again, that is not what i said.
    there are brands out there that dont have quality control and that makes the brand crap regardless of what the blend is. this is a huge problem. i wont spend my money on sub standard product.

there are plenty of cigars that i dont like that i dont deem "sub standard product" such as the Oliva O. its just not for me... but i dont have hate for it.
    Gurkha on the other hand has done me wrong on too many occasions with construction issues, blend issues, identity issues, and customer service issues that i cannot in good faith tell people that they are good cigars or drop a single dime more on them.

FNA:
    If you don't like a cigar, don't like the cigar, but why is it garbage or sub-standard? people may not like caviar - is that because caviar isn't fit to eat?
    why is it garbage? because they waste my time and money when they produce a cigar that tastes like burning cardboard and falls apart half way through, wont draw, wont burn even close to correctly, or contain things that are not tobacco (plastic, sticks, etc...). that IS substandard.
    FNA:
    Me, I think and have found most cigars to be smokes, not garbage.
    good for you.
    ...now dont look down on me for being a bit more discriminating.
  • SasquatchSasquatch Posts: 307 ✭✭✭
    Flavor & taste are subject to each individual differently. No explanation needed. The price point of each cigar is also based on individual concerns. What is cheap to you, may be expensive to another member. I know some weeks the "BOSS" has put me under, not just in, the dog house due to cigar budget. Other members price may never come up, but human nature being what it is....Everybody loves a bargain. Construction issues are not based on the individual. Companies live & die on reputation of quality or lack thereof. Cigars are a way to relax, unwind, & socialize. I will smoke whatever I enjoy. The part about what I enjoy may change from time to time, but everybody has a few "go to"smokes that they consistently enjoy. If I enjoy a $5 stick or a $30 stick, I will smoke them. I will not "turn up" my nose at a stick because of price, but will do so because of taste or reputation of construction. I work hard for my money and will not knowingly support a company that has a history of shoddy construction/customer service.
    Sasquatch:
    Flavor & taste are subject to each individual differently. No explanation needed. The price point of each cigar is also based on individual concerns. What is cheap to you, may be expensive to another member. I know some weeks the "BOSS" has put me under, not just in, the dog house due to cigar budget. Other members price may never come up, but human nature being what it is....Everybody loves a bargain. Construction issues are not based on the individual. Companies live & die on reputation of quality or lack thereof. Cigars are a way to relax, unwind, & socialize. I will smoke whatever I enjoy. The part about what I enjoy may change from time to time, but everybody has a few "go to"smokes that they consistently enjoy. If I enjoy a $5 stick or a $30 stick, I will smoke them. I will not "turn up" my nose at a stick because of price, but will do so because of taste or reputation of construction. I work hard for my money and will not knowingly support a company that has a history of shoddy construction/customer service.
    Bingo!

one of my best smoking buddies hates what i like, and I hate what he likes. At first, it took some time to get used to telling each what we liked was terrible. Everything is subjective with taste, it just is... People take too much *** personal these days... Life is to short to worry abotu what other people worry about IMO.
  • danielruasdanielruas Posts: 778
    AVJim:
    Amen Kuzi.
    +1
  • Lee.mcglynnLee.mcglynn Posts: 5,960 ✭✭✭✭
    This is pointless!! People like what they like and have freedom of speech! If you like a certain cigar others tend to hate hey more for you. FNA I can say one thing kuzi has one of the best pallets around here and he always is consistent with his recommendations. You don't have to smoke what anyone likes but don't single out a member of this awesome forum for not liking IMO what should be bundles.
    Money can't buy taste
  • deejmemixxdeejmemixx Posts: 3,084 ✭✭
    i like tuhtles
    I like nachos, Daniel likes socks
  • onestrangeoneonestrangeone Posts: 2,441 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I like Puppies,

I also don't give a rats A** what anyone thinks about what I smoke. If I like it then it's good if I don't I won't buy anymore.
    I like to see/here what others enjoy or don't and WHY. I try to keep an open mind and make informed decisions as to what I spend my money on.
  • Russ55:
    Maybe I'm reading the thread wrong, but it sounds like your problem is one of semantics, and the way people are expressing their opinions more than anything. I'm probably in the neighborhood of people who enjoy select, or limited cigars as opposed to anything and everything. I really like it that way. I know my tastes, and I know what I like, and don't like. You may find that limiting, but I don't. It helps me enjoy my hobby more. Taking the time to really pin down my likes/dislikes, and develop my palate has given me the freedom to know that there are some things out there that I don't have to try to know that I'm not going to like. I'm ok missing out on those because I know the chance I will enjoy will be rather small. I've already found several cigars that send me over the moon. Some are expensive, some are not.

I think the way we enjoy things is highly personal, and very subjective. For instance, I could never enjoy cigars the way my Dad does. He always smokes the same brand, never really tries anything new, and never retrohales. It would drive me nuts, but it makes him happy, so I keep quiet. When we get together we each enjoy cigars in our own way, and I don't push him to do it my way. I spend the time enjoying his company.

I don't know if that helps, or really has any bearing. I'm kind of tired right now. I should stay outta these kinds of threads.
    +1