Home Non Cigar Related
Options

Modest Pope

phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2418455/Francis-takes-delivery-new-Popemobile--29-year-old-Renault-4-190-000-miles-clock.html

I usually don't follow the Pope and the Vatican all that much but I do like seeing a Pope not acting like a king.

Comments

• Options
    beatnicbeatnic Posts: 4,133
    Most Catholics that I know would agree with you. This man grew up poor in South America, far away from the pompassity of the Vatican. It won't be long before the hierarchy of the Vatican start showing their disapproval of him.
  • Options
    Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,440 ✭✭✭✭✭
    beatnic:
    Most Catholics that I know would agree with you. This man grew up poor in South America, far away from the pompassity of the Vatican. It won't be long before the hierarchy of the Vatican start showing their disapproval of him.
    So, we'll hear things like "He didn't appear Papal at todays meeting in..."

I've got to say, so far I've been really impressed with him. Very rare for Church leaders of any faith to actually emulate Jesus, in my experience anyway.
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • Options
    raisindotraisindot Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭
    Me, too. I haven't had particularly positive feelings about the last few popes, but Pope Francis seems like the spiritual descendant of the 20th century Popes John and Paul. Modest and tolerant (by papal standards anyway), he's set exactly the right tone for the church after decades of reactionary backpedaling.
  • Options
    christian1971christian1971 Posts: 467 ✭✭✭
    Im impressed with him too. Though not the vatican. A good friend of ours knew pope john paul quite well. Told me how the vatican buys its cars via the mafia. Thought that was funny.
  • Options
    raisindotraisindot Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭
    christian1971:
    Im impressed with him too. Though not the vatican. A good friend of ours knew pope john paul quite well. Told me how the vatican buys its cars via the mafia. Thought that was funny.
    That reminds me of one most unintentionally funny line deliveries in movie history. In the horrible "Godfather III" when Al Pacino says, in his most ham-hocked delivery ever, "We have to save the pope!" I almost needed to leave the theater after that I was laughing so hard.
  • Options
    VulchorVulchor Posts: 4,848 ✭✭✭✭
    Agree with the sentiment here, very impressed and acts more like what I always though (growing up a catholic) the pope should be like.