Home General Discussion
Options

Worst cigars over $8.00

Well I got some really good info with my "best cigars under $2.00" post so now for the other end of the spectrum. I know we can get sticks much cheaper online but what about our local stores? I'm new to all this and I love to try new singles but I hate spending $8 + just to find out it was $ wasted. I know cigars are all a matter of individual taste and opinion but if most opinions on say Gurkha aren't very good, tells me probably not a safe buy.

Comments

• Options
    SleevePlzSleevePlz Posts: 6,249 ✭✭✭✭
    I'm probably in the minority, but most Viaje tend to disappoint me.
    LLA - Lancero Lovers of America
  • Options
    firetruckguyfiretruckguy Posts: 2,522 ✭✭✭
    Most anything Gurkha........
  • Options
    BigshizzaBigshizza Posts: 15,645 ✭✭✭✭✭
    SleevePlz:
    I'm probably in the minority, but most Viaje tend to disappoint me.
    I've had lots of construction/draw issues lately. Love the flavor but too many screwed up ones!
  • Options
    catfishbluezzcatfishbluezz Posts: 7,000 ✭✭✭
    Viaje and Drew Estate for me. Construction issues and overpriced IMO. Fuente as well, but they are well constructed, I just don't think they are worth the money an search for the rarer stuff.
  • Options
    stephen_hannibalstephen_hannibal Posts: 4,317
    I agree with the Drew Estates. Lots of high prices and meh performance/flavor. Oh any Tats I seriously don't understand the hype.
  • Options
    Anything by Don Pepin/My Father...I've never come across a good blend from them. Still not even sure how their Flor De Las Antilles won cigar of the year...it's average at best.
  • Options
    MartelMartel Posts: 3,306 ✭✭✭✭
    Graycliff Platinum. Good smoke, but not a $20 smoke. Much better after lots of rest, but golly gee, Sheriff Andy, that there's highway robbery.
    Intelligence is knowing that a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.

I like Oliva and Quesada (including Regius) a lot.  I will smoke anything, though.
  • Options
    webmostwebmost Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Jasonc1982:
    Anything by Don Pepin/My Father...I've never come across a good blend from them. Still not even sure how their Flor De Las Antilles won cigar of the year...it's average at best.
    U R Kiddin. Love them sticks.
    “It has been a source of great pain to me to have met with so many among [my] opponents who had not the liberality to distinguish between political and social opposition; who transferred at once to the person, the hatred they bore to his political opinions.” —Thomas Jefferson (1808)

• Options
    BamablowsBamablows Posts: 338
    webmost:
    Jasonc1982:
    I would have to agree with webmost on that one. Flor De Antilles is one of my favs!
  • Options
    denniskingdennisking Posts: 3,703 ✭✭✭
    Jasonc1982:
    Hello
    Your taste buds have failed
    that is all
  • Options
    Meh...we're all different in our tastes. I've liked some cigars that few others liked...and vice versa. Good thing there's so much variety out there now.
  • Options
    catfishbluezzcatfishbluezz Posts: 7,000 ✭✭✭
    dennisking:
    Jasonc1982:
    Hello
    that is all
    lol...I tossed both FDLA's I had, but alot of people like them. For the most part, I rarely smoke anything from my father. Too much strength for me, but there are a few I enjoy with a ton of age. I'm just not that patient.
  • Options
    VisionVision Posts: 7,790 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bamablows:
    webmost:
    Jasonc1982:
    I would have to agree with webmost on that one. Flor De Antilles is one of my favs!

Add me to the WTH o_O list.... FDLA meh... but most of the rest are really solid.
  • Options
    Over $8 that are not worth it. I would take Anejo over Opus... if that counts. DE MUWAT is #1 on my list.
  • Options
    gio164gio164 Posts: 180
    Montecristo Media Noche BLAH!
  • Options
    And one more.... most if not every 60 ring on the market. Pumped up prices due to the amount of tobacco used and that people still have the bigger is better mentality... i get it....

To me its like this.... 60 rings exists for the reasons that buffets exist. They serve cold, salty, poor tasting, cheap, bland, crappy food but people keep going back to them because....... MORE IS GOODERER!!!
  • Options
    Roberto99Roberto99 Posts: 1,077
    most graycliff, most gurkha, dominican cohiba
  • Options
    beatnicbeatnic Posts: 4,133
    catfishbluezz:
    dennisking:
    Jasonc1982:
    Hello
    that is all
    lol...I tossed both FDLA's I had, but alot of people like them. For the most part, I rarely smoke anything from my father. Too much strength for me, but there are a few I enjoy with a ton of age. I'm just not that patient.
    +1
  • Options
    bigharpoonbigharpoon Posts: 2,963 ✭✭✭
    Most of the rare, hard to acquire limited edition special this or that whatevers. Yeah, some of them are good but never have I had one that I thought was worth the price. Just because it's rare doesn't mean it's good, it just means it's...rare.
  • Options
    firetruckguyfiretruckguy Posts: 2,522 ✭✭✭
    gio164:
    Montecristo Media Noche BLAH!
    Send every one of them to me! One of my fav's!
  • Options
    kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    beatnic:
    catfishbluezz:
    dennisking:
    Jasonc1982:
    Hello
    that is all
    +1
    the DPG blue with about 5 years on em is just wonderful.
  • Options
    robertgreen30robertgreen30 Posts: 2,105 ✭✭✭✭
    Vision:
    And one more.... most if not every 60 ring on the market. Pumped up prices due to the amount of tobacco used and that people still have the bigger is better mentality... i get it....

To me its like this.... 60 rings exists for the reasons that buffets exist. They serve cold, salty, poor tasting, cheap, bland, crappy food but people keep going back to them because....... MORE IS GOODERER!!!
    lol funny *** Pete
  • Options
    robertgreen30robertgreen30 Posts: 2,105 ✭✭✭✭
    Roberto99:
    +1
  • Options
    raisindotraisindot Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭
    Maybe I'm in the minority here, but I recently had a Liga Pravada Feral Pig generously sent to me by a fellow forum member. Hands down it was one of the worst cigars I've ever had. The aroma of brushfire, the taste of three-day old used charcoal briquettes.
  • Options
    bluezulubluezulu Posts: 136 ✭✭✭
    Roberto99:
    Agreed. The U.S. Cohibas are horrible to me. The flavors profile are all over the place and burn issues throughout. I keep getting them as the throw in stick as part of the big brand classics or other premium samplers, but the non-Cuban Cohibas are my give away sticks.