Home General Discussion

Cohiba Black...? Anything comprable?

I LOVE THE COHIBA BLACKS, I hate the Price Tag on the box. I am looking for more of an everyday smoker at a decent price in the Modero anyone got an idea. I live in South Fl. so Cubans are readily accessable, but i am a law abiding citizen and dont want any trouble.... I am having trouble matching the flavor, taste and draw, I get out of the Cohiba's... fill me in if you have any ideas.

Comments

• vankleekkwvankleekkw Posts: 404
    Well, there are plenty of NC maduros that are much better than the Cohiba Black IMO. If you want a ISOM stick, the Cohiba Maduro 5 is the only one that I know of, but will provide much better flavor and is probably cheaper than it's overpriced sibling.

For a cheaper Maduro, try the 5 Vegas 'A' or Partagas Black to start.
  • betasynnbetasynn Posts: 1,249
    The only Cohiba I've had was a Red Dot. If they're similar, just suck on a wet sock. If you're looking for a good-priced maduro, vankleekkw is dead-on with the 5 vegas A. I'd also recommend a Rocky Patel Fusion MM.
  • nsezellnsezell Posts: 294
    also, the RP edge maduro is one of my favorite's. It's affordable and included in a few different samplers on this site. The vegas A is one of my favorites tho, and you can't beat the price. I like the box-pressed shape. Also, if you're still learning, try one of the new nUB maduro's. They have a great flavor, but they're not very complex so you really get to enjoy the good part.
  • zoom6zoomzoom6zoom Posts: 1,214
    Haven't had the Black, but I greatly enjoyed the Cohiba XV that I got in a sampler.
  • kent1146kent1146 Posts: 86
    JCargo:
    I LOVE THE COHIBA BLACKS, I hate the Price Tag on the box. I am looking for more of an everyday smoker at a decent price in the Modero anyone got an idea. I live in South Fl. so Cubans are readily accessable, but i am a law abiding citizen and dont want any trouble.... I am having trouble matching the flavor, taste and draw, I get out of the Cohiba's... fill me in if you have any ideas.

Bleh.  Don't listen to the rest of the guys here.  If you like the Cohiba Blacks, then keep smoking them.  The only person you need to please when smoking a cigar is you.

But they are expensive... as for alternatives... a Rocky Patel Vintage 1990 or 1992 would be right up your alley.  Nice, dark, oily maduro wrapper.  Lots of flavors of chocolate, coffee, cream, and spice.  The RP's usually run for about $7-$9 per stick, depending on the vitola and retailer you buy from.

If you're looking for even cheaper, check out the Rocky Patel Edge maduros.  They tend to be a little less complex than the Vintage 1990/1992s, but are a great value for your money at about $5-$6 each.

• DiamondogDiamondog Posts: 4,169
    I am a fan of the Cohiba Blacks too, first smoked one in the Dominican, little bar in Sosua with a walk in humi....large dutch guy owns...bought a bunch then...I picked a couple up from here a little while back.....check out the Macanudo Maduros...
  • TatuajeVITatuajeVI Posts: 2,378
    For a few other maduro recommenations, just to throw it out there, Carlos Torano Casa Torano Maduro ($5-7), MAXX by Alec Bradley ($4-6), and questionably my favorite value smoke, the Nica Libre. On special, you can pick them up for around $2 a stick and they are WONDERFUL. Give them a month in the humidor and it's magic.
  • Matt MarvelMatt Marvel Posts: 930
    TatuajeVI:
    For a few other maduro recommenations, just to throw it out there, Carlos Torano Casa Torano Maduro ($5-7), MAXX by Alec Bradley ($4-6), and questionably my favorite value smoke, the Nica Libre. On special, you can pick them up for around $2 a stick and they are WONDERFUL. Give them a month in the humidor and it's magic.
    Nica Libre. End of discussion.