Home General Discussion
Options

Coolidor trouble

I built a Coolidor about 6 months ago utilizing Heartfelt 70rh beads. I noticed today the beads are growing green mold!?!? I have been charging them with distilled water, has anyone else had this issue?

Comments

• Options
    thedjfish@comcast.netthedjfish@comcast.net Posts: 1,692 ✭✭✭
    Churchill83:
    I built a Coolidor about 6 months ago utilizing Heartfelt 70rh beads. I noticed today the beads are growing green mold!?!? I have been charging them with distilled water, has anyone else had this issue?
    you said the beads are set for 70% from heartfelt, what are you using to monitor your humidity? green mold? its not in any direct sun or heavy light is it?
  • Options
    thedjfish@comcast.net:
    Churchill83:
    you said the beads are set for 70% from heartfelt, what are you using to monitor your humidity? green mold? its not in any direct sun or heavy light is it?
    I'm using a digital hydrometer purchased from a local B&M. The cooler is in my spare bedroom and stays at 70 degrees and 68-70rh. My other humidor sets next to it using the same beads and no mold. It's very bizarre
  • Options
    KingoftheCoveKingoftheCove Posts: 937 ✭✭✭
    1) have you salt tested the hygro?
    2) what are the beads in, and how to you hydrate them?
    3) is the set-up the same for the "other" humidor as is for the coolidor in question, as in:
    a) same beads
    b) same bead containers
    c) same method of hydrating beads
    d) same hygrometer, which has been calibrated

Lots of questions I know, but ya need to do a bit of "elimination" in order to attempt to solve this issue.

You may in fact be over-charging your beads without knowing it.
  • Options
    KingoftheCove:
    1) have you salt tested the hygro?
    2) what are the beads in, and how to you hydrate them?
    3) is the set-up the same for the "other" humidor as is for the coolidor in question, as in:
    a) same beads
    b) same bead containers
    c) same method of hydrating beads
    d) same hygrometer, which has been calibrated

Lots of questions I know, but ya need to do a bit of "elimination" in order to attempt to solve this issue.

You may in fact be over-charging your beads without knowing it.
    I have not salt tested the digital. In the Coolidor the beads are in solo cups and charge them by pouring distilled water until all the beads are clear
  • Options
    MVW67MVW67 Posts: 5,591 ✭✭✭✭
    Clean and dry beads, put in panty hose/stockings preferably clean ones.....put distilled water in small sprayer then lightly mist.:-)
    Life is too short, live it like no tomorrow...
  • Options
    BigshizzaBigshizza Posts: 15,645 ✭✭✭✭✭
    MVW67:
    Clean and dry beads, put in panty hose/stockings preferably clean ones.....put distilled water in small sprayer then lightly mist.:-)
    That's what I do...
  • Options
    KingoftheCoveKingoftheCove Posts: 937 ✭✭✭
    Churchill83:
    I have not salt tested the digital. In the Coolidor the beads are in solo cups and charge them by pouring distilled water until all the beads are clear
    OK.......
    first.....salt test your hygro asap

second........pouring water into a SOLO CUP until all beads are clear is adding WAY too much water (especially on 70rh beads)......I'm guessing the bottom of the cup stays wet all the time ......... you only want 1/2 of your beads, or less, to be "clear"

third.....find better containers for your beads.....a regular 12 or 16oz solo cup isn't a good idea ....you want shallow containers with maximum surface area, with bead depth of about 1/2 inch or so

fourth.....ditch the moldy beads, start over with a calibrated hygro, new beads (65rh is better) and better containers

fifth.......do the dollar bill test on your cooler, all the way around, and seal it up better if needed

You can find my thread on my cooler set-up and how I did it with KL (about $70).........................still rock solid for me.
  • Options
    ehehatehehat Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭
    MVW67:
    This, "pouring water into solo cups until all beads are clear" sounds like it would be really easy to put too much water in. How often are you doing this?
  • Options
    ehehat:
    MVW67:
    This, "pouring water into solo cups until all beads are clear" sounds like it would be really easy to put too much water in. How often are you doing this?
    The "solo" cup is/was a temporary container. I only poured enough that the beads turned clear, draining out the excess. Once they became dry opaque in color I would recharge, usually about every 2 to 3 mos.