Home Non Cigar Related

Ruby Throated Hummingbirds

13»

Comments

• Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,004 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2020

@TX98Z28 I'm not sure about the cross breeding. I stumbled across that video and thought I'd show you the pics. The feathers act as a prism and can often alter the colors we see from different angles. And also there could be other types besides this one coming farther into uncharted territory these days. Maybe yours is not this one.

edited May 2020

I think this is a female green breasted mango.
    http://jimburnsphotos.com/media/crGreen-breasted-Mango-fema.jpg

• First_WarriorFirst_Warrior Posts: 3,140 ✭✭✭✭✭

We hung a feeder yesterday and had two hummers on it this morning. The leaves still aren't on the trees up here but the Hummingbirds are back.

• YankeeManYankeeMan Posts: 2,654 ✭✭✭✭✭

When we lived up north, we had a ton of hummingbirds and chickadees that used several feeders, and then the bluejays moved in and ruined everything!

• jlmartajlmarta Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭✭✭

@YankeeMan said:
    When we lived up north, we had a ton of hummingbirds and chickadees that used several feeders, and then the bluejays moved in and ruined everything!

Been there... done that... right here in California. I solved my blue jay problem, though.... 😎

• IndustMechIndustMech Posts: 4,661 ✭✭✭✭✭

@YankeeMan said:

As long as the Bluejays beat the Cardinals...

I know, You're a big dog and I'm on the list.
    Let's eat, GrandMa.  /  Let's eat GrandMa.  --  Punctuation saves lives

It'll be fine once the swelling goes down.

• YaksterYakster Posts: 25,534 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think the hummingbird that uses our feeder has learned to fly right in front of me when the feeder is empty. The feeder is right next to a lilac bush which sees a lot of hummingbird activity too.

I'll gladly bomb you Tuesday for an Opus today. 

Join us on the New Zoom vHerf (Meeting # 2619860114 Password vHerf2020 )
    edited June 2020

The other day I was swapping fresh feeders and since it's usual feeder was missing for a minute, one humming bird decided to come in close. Deb was wearing a bright pink/peach colored shirt and one came right up in her face. I'm sure it did so to see if the color represented flowers it could feed on. It startled her, so she screamed a bit and startled it in return.

• RhamlinRhamlin Posts: 8,908 ✭✭✭✭✭

But how do they taste fried?

• d_bladesd_blades Posts: 3,701 ✭✭✭✭✭

Still have a few around here, saw two so far this morning. They should be gone in another week or two.

Don't let the wife know what you spend on guns, ammo or cigars.

Filled up our two feeders yesterday and they are getting hit pretty good. Little guys and girls are topping off their tanks for the journey south. Hope to see them again in the spring.

• d_bladesd_blades Posts: 3,701 ✭✭✭✭✭

Just saw a straggler, most left over two weeks ago.

Don't let the wife know what you spend on guns, ammo or cigars.

Haven't seen one on our feeders for the past three or four days. Will be great to welcome them back in the spring. Stay safe little ones.

• WaterNerdWaterNerd Posts: 3,279 ✭✭✭✭✭

Here in So Calif, we have hummingbirds here year round. I have a family that nests in the tree behind my house. I'll get some pics up this weekend :)

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt
    — Abraham Lincoln

• silvermousesilvermouse Posts: 19,049 ✭✭✭✭✭

Ours have headed down to Rodger's place.

They stopped, in tanked up, and were on their way. When you think about their long fragile journey it's a wonder.