Home Non Cigar Related
Options

Shutdown...a different (non partisan) perspective

2»

Comments

• Options
    RBeckomRBeckom Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭
    Non Partisan, what exactly does this mean?
    A choice was made, a side was chosen so how can the words stand?
    Non Partisan has become a party, one of many.
    Is there even such that exist?
    True Non Partisan?
    Just curious I guess.
  • Options
    I had a professor tell me once

Eliminate parties?
    Put 300 people in a room for long enough, and sooner than later they start choosing sides.
  • Options
    Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,557 ✭✭✭✭✭
    RBeckom:
    Non Partisan, what exactly does this mean?
    A choice was made, a side was chosen so how can the words stand?
    Non Partisan has become a party, one of many.
    Is there even such that exist?
    True Non Partisan?
    Just curious I guess.
    true, my bad
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • Options
    webmostwebmost Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭✭✭

Well I thought it was funny.

“It has been a source of great pain to me to have met with so many among [my] opponents who had not the liberality to distinguish between political and social opposition; who transferred at once to the person, the hatred they bore to his political opinions.” —Thomas Jefferson (1808)

• Options
    phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
    webmost:

Well I thought it was funny.

lol
  • Options
    I chose my words carefully too see if, in fact, true non-partisan could exist and it killed this thread.
    What gives?
    Let loose the wrath that is politics!
    Let the battle rage!
  • Options
    beatnicbeatnic Posts: 4,133
    Well, I'm glad thats all done. BO got what he wanted. Harry Reid got to trash GOP. They got their money, saved Obamacare, opened up the government again and all the country is happy. Life will be grand from here on out. I heard that my healthcare bill was going to be reduced by $2,500. Can't wait. I also see where my home energy expenses will be reduced due to this green stuff. Cool. That will help. And we're importing and feeding many more people from other countries. I'm happy to contribute. Life will be grand!.

• Options
    beatnic:
    Well, I'm glad thats all done. BO got what he wanted. Harry Reid got to trash GOP. They got their money, saved Obamacare, opened up the government again and all the country is happy. Life will be grand from here on out. I heard that my healthcare bill was going to be reduced by $2,500. Can't wait. I also see where my home energy expenses will be reduced due to this green stuff. Cool. That will help. And we're importing and feeding many more people from other countries. I'm happy to contribute. Life will be grand!.

Hey! you don't think they'll back out on their promises, do you? That's crazy! I mean, look at the record:

Obama said he'd close Guantanamo and......well, wait! there's more

He said he'd get us out of Afghanistan and we're....well, but wait, there's more!

We were promised that this government would be MORE transparent, that the dark days of Bush/Cheney secret operations were over and.....oh, wait, there's more.....

as Giilda Radnor used to say.......never-mind
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • Options
    KevinFittsKevinFitts Posts: 225
    A wise old "non-partisan" man once said that If you took all of the politicians, put them in a sack and hit it with a stick, you would never hit the wrong one ;-)
  • Options
    KevinFitts:
    A wise old "non-partisan" man once said that If you took all of the politicians, put them in a sack and hit it with a stick, you would never hit the wrong one ;-)
    Perfect!

• Options
    Amos Umwhat:
    KevinFitts:
    Perfect!

Exactly!
  • Options
    webmostwebmost Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭✭✭
    beatnic:

I do wish we could at least have compromised some of the more hateful features of this debacle. I remember when that daft old biddy said "We have to pass this law so we can find out what's in it." Having passed it, and then having found out what's in it, couldn't we at least have tweaked it just a mite? Why so obdurate?

Most of all, the tax on "medical devices". That thing is disgusting. When life hands someone one of those electric wheelchairs where you blow through a straw to drive it, or a dialysis unit, or a pain implant, or a pacemaker, or some unimagined ingenuity which the future might invent, then the last thing we need is to levy a big whacking tax on that. I don't get how that even came into someone's feeble brain pan to consider such a wackadoo thing. Disgusting. It reminds you of some medieval Balkan tyrant with an unpronounceable name levying a cruel crutch tax on his subjects. This type of thinking does not belong in modern society.

The last proposal from the house, that this legislation apply to congress just as it does to the ordinary citizen, I don't think you'll find a whole lot of us who don't think that whatever congress passes ought to apply equally to themselves. Government ought never to exempt themselves from the onerous regulations they impose upon the rest.

Stealing half a tril from medicare to cook the books will surely not make either of these more solvent.

And where does BO derive the power to postpone an employer mandate which is part of the law passed by Congress, while Congress better not afford the same year's delay to the individual by passing a law? Is he above the law and they below him?

This whole debacle demonstrated nothing but arrogance. The prez declared he will not budge an inch no matter what. Thinks he was elected to be king. Claims that if them ignernt wicked republicans don't like the law they ought to win an election. What? How do you think they got there? They did win elections. Plenty of them. They were not appointed to office because they'd been big time campaign fund raisers, as seems to be the main requirement for appointment.

Methinks the concept of checks and balances must not have been taught in elementary school in Indonesia.

So here we are. Stuck with it. Forever. Like Head Start and the War on Drugs and the War on Poverty, no matter how bad it fails, all we will do in future is throw more and more and more and more money at it. Print more and throw it. Cause that's what we do. In government, when things go wrong, we just throw more money at the same people who made things go wrong. Don't tell me you will fine tune it later. When has that happened? Certainly not here, at the eleventh hour.

Good intentions don't help. The road to hell is paved with good intentions. Good arithmetic trumps good intentions any day.

Already, after a couple weeks when the web site built on a no bid contract for half a bil so far and expected to top two bil by next year fell on its face, a reporter asked the house minority leader what he thought should be done. He said we should give them more money. Not three weeks old and we're already saying sling more money at it.

In thirty years, no one will understand how we ever did without it; yet it will be as bad a return on investment as social security retirement.

... and shackled with as many added burdens.

“It has been a source of great pain to me to have met with so many among [my] opponents who had not the liberality to distinguish between political and social opposition; who transferred at once to the person, the hatred they bore to his political opinions.” —Thomas Jefferson (1808)