Home General Discussion
Options

Camacho's rebranding

SleevePlzSleevePlz Posts: 6,249 ✭✭✭✭
I've read that a lot of people really don't like the rebranding that Camacho has done. I, for one, actually really, really like it. Not only did they lower prices, but I just really like what they did with the packaging. It really fits the BOLD image that they are going for. I would not be surprised if their sales increase quite dramatically. This theme seems to lend itself well to the average cigar smoker. I also need to find some of these accessories. Too cool. imageimage
LLA - Lancero Lovers of America

Comments

• Options
    roland_7707roland_7707 Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭
    I like that. Never had one, but i would buy that just on looks.
    One God, One Truth
  • Options
    Definitely one I'm going to get once birthday money starts flowing in lol.
  • Options
    perkinkeperkinke Posts: 1,572 ✭✭✭
    I like it on the boxes and merch, but not on the bands. I'm more concerned with the idea they have reblended as well.
  • Options
    perkinke:
    I like it on the boxes and merch, but not on the bands. I'm more concerned with the idea they have reblended as well.
    Yeah, I haven't smoked any of the new ones yet, so I can't comment on how they smoke. Like I said, I personally like the band, but at the same time, I'm not smoking the band. So it doesn't actually make any difference as to whether or not I would purchase it.
  • Options
    Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,119 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I prefer the old bands and packaging. But the new ones do really "pop". I bet they'll attract some new buyers. And that ashtray looks really cool and very functional too.

I'm actually more interested to know which blends got canceled and which blends live on . Thanks to the weekend blitz offers I got a few boxes of the old styles and wondered if I'd be able to get more of the same blend or not.

Seems like I remember Kuzi saying that the old Havana blend would remain the same but be called Criollos. Does anybody have a full breakdown as to the changes to the lineup?
  • Options
    Bob Luken:
    I prefer the old bands and packaging. But the new ones do really "pop". I bet they'll attract some new buyers. And that ashtray looks really cool and very functional too.

I'm actually more interested to know which blends got canceled and which blends live on . Thanks to the weekend blitz offers I got a few boxes of the old styles and wondered if I'd be able to get more of the same blend or not.

Seems like I remember Kuzi saying that the old Havana blend would remain the same but be called Criollos. Does anybody have a full breakdown as to the changes to the lineup?
    Link This might help a little. If nothing else, the cover pic is worth the click :)
  • Options
    Gray4linesGray4lines Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have had the new trip maduro, which wasn't supposed to change, and it was the same cigar. A little fresh. But the price really got my attention. Like $10 for a big torpedo instead of the usual $20 at a b&m. Waaaay cheaper. I'd love to find one of those ash trays!
  • Options
    Gray4lines:
    I have had the new trip maduro, which wasn't supposed to change, and it was the same cigar. A little fresh. But the price really got my attention. Like $10 for a big torpedo instead of the usual $20 at a b&m. Waaaay cheaper. I'd love to find one of those ash trays!
    Hey Gray, long time no see. You have to love a company actually putting out a price cut. That never happens. I think the ashtrays are technically a "limited edition" and only available at Camacho events. Not sure about the T-shirts in the can. I really want both! Also, Camacho's website is pretty well done with info on all of the blends. Their facebook is also maintained with some cool info.
  • Options
    SleevePlz:
    Gray4lines:
    Hey Gray, long time no see. You have to love a company actually putting out a price cut. That never happens. I think the ashtrays are technically a "limited edition" and only available at Camacho events. Not sure about the T-shirts in the can. I really want both! Also, Camacho's website is pretty well done with info on all of the blends. Their facebook is also maintained with some cool info.
    Hey, Tony! Been pretty busy with school. All my exams coming up in the next few weeks, so I'll be studying my butt off.

I was surprised at the price... The b&m owner didn't know what to do with all of his old stock higher priced triple mad's, (who's gonna buy the same blend at a higher price?) so he was just gonna smoke them!

I see that the ashtray is a limited thing... Fart. I'll have to look around for some other stuff. I think the new look is way cool. I saw some in a humidor yesterday and that's the first thing I noticed with the bright yellow, red, orange bands and the bold black and silver. I think it will get them more attention.
  • Options
    Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,119 ✭✭✭✭✭
    SleevePlz:
    Bob Luken:

Link This might help a little. If nothing else, the cover pic is worth the click :)
    You were right. Definitely worth the click ;)

I also went to the camacho.com website.

It seems like they want us to buy into the whole badass mantra.

"Our cigars are badass. Our celebrity endorsers are obvious badasses. Smoke our badass cigars so everyone can know you're a badass too. Even our website is badass, black colors, scorpions, hard looks from the celebrities. Aren't we badass? Please think of us as badass OK? Please?"

Kinda' made me laugh.

I'm glad for the price break and I'll probably keep buying from them but I hope nobody thinks I'm a badass. Or thinks that I think that I'm a badass. LOL.
  • Options
    Bob Luken:
    SleevePlz:
    Bob Luken:

"Our cigars are badass. Our celebrity endorsers are obvious badasses. Smoke our badass cigars so everyone can know you're a badass too. Even our website is badass, black colors, scorpions, hard looks from the celebrities. Aren't we badass? Please think of us as badass OK? Please?"

Kinda' made me laugh.

I'm glad for the price break and I'll probably keep buying from them but I hope nobody thinks I'm a badass. Or thinks that I think that I'm a badass. LOL.
    Yeah, subtle isn't in the Camacho dictionary, apparently. As Gray mentioned, the new bands really stand out in the humidor. And, I'm okay with someone thinking I'm a badass :)
  • Options
    KingoftheCoveKingoftheCove Posts: 937 ✭✭✭
    I don't like the new logo....
    I don't like the new "campaign"..........I might simply not be "badass" enough I suppose....
    I hate the new labels............can you say bubblegum cigar?
    The new blends?......I'm betting they will NOT be nearly as good
    They say they're not changing the triple maddie...............I don't believe that for a minute

Which is why I've been buying up the last bits of the old stock at great prices, with my favs being the original Camacho Corojo Monarca, and the triple maddie......I hoarded enough to last me a while
    get em while you can boys.................I see Camacho going downhill with respect to cigar quality........but at the same time, they may make more money.
    I'm not interested in their profits.........I want a good cigar.

• Options
    allsmokedupallsmokedup Posts: 751 ✭✭
    KingoftheCove:
    I don't like the new "campaign"..........I might simply not be "badass" enough I suppose....
    They say they're not changing the triple maddie...............I don't believe that for a minute

Which is why I've been buying up the last bits of the old stock at great prices, with my favs being the original Camacho Corojo Monarca, and the triple maddie......I hoarded enough to last me a while
    get em while you can boys.................I see Camacho going downhill with respect to cigar quality........but at the same time, they may make more money.

I'm doing the same thing as I believe this too. I guess only time will tell....
  • Options
    KingoftheCove:

Out of curiosity, since you liked Camacho up to this point, why you believe the new blends won't be good or that the triple maduro won't be the same? What made you so skeptical?
  • Options
    ddubridgeddubridge Posts: 3,978 ✭✭✭
    Damn internet connection.
  • Options
    VisionVision Posts: 7,813 ✭✭✭✭✭
    perkinke:

My hopes is that it is not their main focus. I just hope they dont turn into the new Gurkha. Im not a "huge" Camacho fan but do like a fair amount of their stuff. Stronger cigars in cool bands and boxes doesnt make them good cigars.
  • Options
    VisionVision Posts: 7,813 ✭✭✭✭✭
    KingoftheCove:

Youre "betting" they wont be as good? ...Book by its cover?? I dont care if they come wrapped in a Tampax band. If they smoke well with good flavor im in.
  • Options
    ddubridgeddubridge Posts: 3,978 ✭✭✭
    ddubridge:
    SleevePlz:
    KingoftheCove:

Out of curiosity, since you liked Camacho up to this point, why you believe the new blends won't be good or that the triple maduro won't be the same? What made you so skeptical?
    Word on the street is the triple maddy blend has changed. I'm glad to hear Gray doesn't think so. Triple maddy is one of my favorite maduro's.
  • Options
    perkinkeperkinke Posts: 1,572 ✭✭✭
    SleevePlz:
    Bob Luken:
    SleevePlz:
    Bob Luken:

Kinda' made me laugh.

Yeah, subtle isn't in the Camacho dictionary, apparently. As Gray mentioned, the new bands really stand out in the humidor. And, I'm okay with someone thinking I'm a badass :)
    Considering i don't know who their "spokesmen," aside from Ditka of course, are the image branding doesn't do anything for me. Kind of like the Jaegermeister commercials with the "bonds of extraordinary men," garbage; false machismo at its finest. I hadn't seen the pricing, but so long as they're not sacrificing the quality I've come to appreciate I agree that it is a good thing. I'm trying to keep an open mind and will definitely buy and sample the new blends. but I'm also grabbing up some more of the originals, just in case. ;)
  • Options
    ddubridge:
    ddubridge:
    SleevePlz:
    KingoftheCove:

Word on the street is the triple maddy blend has changed. I'm glad to hear Gray doesn't think so. Triple maddy is one of my favorite maduro's.
    At first I heard all were changing except the triple Mad... Not sure now. But, I can say the one I tried was very very similar. I will get another and compare with the old blend.
  • Options
    Gray4lines:
    ddubridge:
    ddubridge:
    SleevePlz:
    KingoftheCove:

At first I heard all were changing except the triple Mad... Not sure now. But, I can say the one I tried was very very similar. I will get another and compare with the old blend.
    Do remember that when you compare an old one and a new one, that they should be a little different because of the age. Considering that they came right out and explained pretty thoroughly what they changed with each blend, I'm a little shocked that so many people don't believe they didn't change the triple maddy. Are the preconceived notions attached to the new band that strong to make people taste something different?
  • Options
    jgibvjgibv Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭✭✭
    They kept the Connecticut = +1
    Dropped the Havana = -1
    Dropped the price = +1
    New marketing / logo / brand identity = 0
    Seem to be releasing more "limited editions" = -1

Total score .... 0
    I guess I'm fairly "neutral" about it at this point. Sad to see the Havana go though....just hoping there's not a decline In quality and they don't start turning into a "Gurkha" - aka focusing on brand/logo/ packaging more than good, enjoyable cigars.

* I have a new address as of 3/24/18 *

• Options
    allsmokedupallsmokedup Posts: 751 ✭✭
    jgibv:
    Dropped the Havana = -1
    Dropped the price = +1

Total score .... 0
    I guess I'm fairly "neutral" about it at this point. Sad to see the Havana go though....just hoping there's not a decline In quality and they don't start turning into a "Gurkha" - aka focusing on brand/logo/ packaging more than good, enjoyable cigars.
    Isn't the Havana the new Criollo?
  • Options
    allsmokedup:
    jgibv:
    Dropped the Havana = -1
    Dropped the price = +1

Total score .... 0
    IDK ....... I'll have to investigate.....

• Options
    SleevePlz:
    Gray4lines:
    ddubridge:
    ddubridge:
    SleevePlz:
    KingoftheCove:

Do remember that when you compare an old one and a new one, that they should be a little different because of the age. Considering that they came right out and explained pretty thoroughly what they changed with each blend, I'm a little shocked that so many people don't believe they didn't change the triple maddy. Are the preconceived notions attached to the new band that strong to make people taste something different?
    Yes I will consider age. Got mine in march so they arent too old to compare. Like I said though, even if its tweaked a little, I didnt notice a difference just casually smoking one.
  • Options
    allsmokedup:
    I think you're right ....
    I didn't find anything "official" on Camacho's website but I did find a blog post that says:

"The Camacho Criollo is based off the Camacho Havana line.
    When the consolidation of the lines occurred, a decision was made to reblend this as the Camacho Criollo (since it used a Criollo '98 wrapper).
    However, a decision was also made to use this opportunity to upgrade the blend as well.

The old Camacho Havana has now been discontinued."

I haven't smoked the "new" version yet but I'll have to pick up one and see how it compares.

• Options
    kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    jgibv:
    allsmokedup:
    I think you're right ....
    I didn't find anything "official" on Camacho's website but I did find a blog post that says:

"The Camacho Criollo is based off the Camacho Havana line.
    When the consolidation of the lines occurred, a decision was made to reblend this as the Camacho Criollo (since it used a Criollo '98 wrapper).
    However, a decision was also made to use this opportunity to upgrade the blend as well.

The old Camacho Havana has now been discontinued."

I haven't smoked the "new" version yet but I'll have to pick up one and see how it compares.
    this is correct. the blended to taste like the old havana but with a bit more power

what it really comes down to is a higher priming on the wrapper and a tiny bit more ligero.
  • Options
    kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    SleevePlz:
    different blender if im not mistaken. Eiroa is working on CLE not Camacho.
  • Options
    Lee.mcglynnLee.mcglynn Posts: 5,960 ✭✭✭✭
    Personally I only had the corojo from the new blend and was not happy. I feel as if they watered down the blend a bit which would explain the price difference. I've been trying to stick up on the real camacho stuff since it's not the same
    Money can't buy taste
  • Options
    Lee.mcglynn:
    Personally I only had the corojo from the new blend and was not happy. I feel as if they watered down the blend a bit which would explain the price difference. I've been trying to stick up on the real camacho stuff since it's not the same
    Thats interesting since they were supposed to be a bit stronger, not toned down. Ill have to try the other lines.