Home General Discussion
Options

I knew this sounded familiar...

Ken_LightKen_Light Posts: 3,537 ✭✭✭
So I noticed a new cigar on the big list...Fallen Angel, and I see it's "in conjunction with AJ Fernandez" and as I'm reading through the description it started to sound really familiar...

For this gem, AJ Fernandez has a crop of incredibly rare Seventh Cut Ecuadorian Sumatra wrapper. What’s “Seventh Cut” you ask? The Seventh Cut is one if the last primings to be removed from the plant and thus packs an incredible amount of flavor and strength. Nestled beneath this premium wrapper is a hearty Mexican binder that encompasses potent – yet, well-aged – Nicaraguan fillers from Esteli, Condega, and Ometepe.

Anyone else feeling a bit of deja vu? No? Well here's what it made me think of...

From Alex, on the finalized Forum Blend...
Alex Svenson:
Wrapper: Sumatra Ecuador Oscuro (7th cut)
Binder: San Andres Mexico
Filler 1: 35% Habano Esteli Ligero
Filler 2: 35% Habano Condega Ligero
Filler 3: 20% Habano Jalapa Viso
Filler 4: 10% Habano Ometepe Seco

My point here is I think this might be a learning opportunity--are these as similar as they sound? If they're not, what's the difference? If they are, should we not bother tweaking the forum blend?
^Troll: DO NOT FEED.

Comments

• Options
    kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    Ken Light:
    So I noticed a new cigar on the big list...Fallen Angel, and I see it's "in conjunction with AJ Fernandez" and as I'm reading through the description it started to sound really familia...

For this gem, AJ Fernandez has a crop of incredibly rare Seventh Cut Ecuadorian Sumatra wrapper. What’s “Seventh Cut” you ask? The Seventh Cut is one if the last primings to be removed from the plant and thus packs an incredible amount of flavor and strength. Nestled beneath this premium wrapper is a hearty Mexican binder that encompasses potent – yet, well-aged – Nicaraguan fillers from Esteli, Condega, and Ometepe.

Anyone else feeling a bit of deja vu? No? Well here's what it made me think of...

From Alex, on the finalized Forum Blend...
    Alex Svenson:
    Wrapper: Sumatra Ecuador Oscuro (7th cut)
    Binder: San Andres Mexico
    Filler 1: 35% Habano Esteli Ligero
    Filler 2: 35% Habano Condega Ligero
    Filler 3: 20% Habano Jalapa Viso
    Filler 4: 10% Habano Ometepe Seco

My point here is I think this might be a learning opportunity--are these as similar as they sound? If they're not, what's the difference? If they are, should we not bother tweaking the forum blend?
    im sure the fillers and binder are different in other ways. there is no Jalapa mentioned. also part of the reason out foum blend didnt work is probably because of the ratios. so yeah maybe they are sililar. and maybe other factors pay in too. the primings and fermentations could be way different.

interesting stuff though.
  • Options
    roland_7707roland_7707 Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭
    I like the box.
    One God, One Truth
  • Options
    Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,119 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    allsmokedupallsmokedup Posts: 751 ✭✭
    Interesting... but there isn't a corona vitola or anything below 48 rg. I don't think I'll bother.
  • Options
    catfishbluezzcatfishbluezz Posts: 7,000 ✭✭✭
    Lol...that's damn close. That cracks me up, because lord knows he could have easily gone back and tweaked the blend to this. They dropped Jalapa and now it's a new blend....hmmmmmm ;) Guess we were on to something.
  • Options
    Ken_LightKen_Light Posts: 3,537 ✭✭✭
    Bob Luken:
    So the sister site owns the trademark? But there's no cross-talk between here and there, right? Of course, the forum and the above post from Alex are public domain, so...
    ^Troll: DO NOT FEED.
  • Options
    catfishbluezzcatfishbluezz Posts: 7,000 ✭✭✭
    Ken Light:
    Bob Luken:
    So the sister site owns the trademark? But there's no cross-talk between here and there, right? Of course, the forum and the above post from Alex are public domain, so...
    Obviosuly they aren't the same thing, as the Jalapa is missed. Makes sense though that the idea was born from that blend though...
  • Options
    denniskingdennisking Posts: 3,703 ✭✭✭
    Ken Light:
    Bob Luken:
    no cross talk needed. the blender and manufacturer made our blend and went "hmmm, they were right in theory but we need something just a little different with some tweaking." The reality is, there are a ton of sticks that have those tobaccos from those regions in them, save maybe for the whole "7th cut" blah blah
  • Options
    RainRain Posts: 8,958 ✭✭✭
    Bumpy