Home Non Cigar Related
Options

What's wrong with the internet?

Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,090 ✭✭✭✭✭
Spotty connection to ccom and some other sites. Slow connection glitches too all weekend. Anybody else? Or just me?

Comments

• Options
    stephen_hannibalstephen_hannibal Posts: 4,317
    Ccom forums didn't work for a long time this past weekend. Everything else was fine though.
  • Options
    jgibvjgibv Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭✭✭
    stephen_hannibal:
    Ccom forums didn't work for a long time this past weekend. Everything else was fine though.
    +1

It was spotty for me ---- I couldn't connect to the forums from the tablet but my phone worked just fine.
    I tried logging out, clearing browser history/cahce/etc. and that didn't help ... no clue because I could still access ccom main page/list of cigars/etc.

* I have a new address as of 3/24/18 *

• Options
    Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,461 ✭✭✭✭✭
    thought it was just my computer. This brings up something, though, when I log on with the wireless gizmo, I get a message saying that this, CCOM, site has a "problem with it's certificate" and is not a trusted site. What's up with that? Anyone know?
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • Options
    roland_7707roland_7707 Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭
    Its probably because we keep giving it our money... Just kiddin. Really have no idea.
    One God, One Truth
  • Options
    webmostwebmost Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Amos Umwhat:
    thought it was just my computer. This brings up something, though, when I log on with the wireless gizmo, I get a message saying that this, CCOM, site has a "problem with it's certificate" and is not a trusted site. What's up with that? Anyone know?
    When you see an "s" after the "http" that signals your browser and the distant server to begin encrypted transmission. This is supposed to prevent someone from intercepting your form data when, for example, you enter your credit card to make a purchase. You are not sending your credit card number; you are sending a bunch of skabblibbityblux. The server decrypts the skablibbity back into numbers. Note that the entire work of this encryption is performed between your browser and the server. On the way to encryption and decryption, these two read an encryption key stored on the server. That key is what they use to turn your info into gibberish and vice versa.

When a site needs to implement an encrypted transmission scheme, the site admin buys a "certificate" from an internet registrar such as GoDaddy or Network Solutions. This certificate is supposed to certify that the site are who they say they are. It registers that encryption keyn to that specific site. In the old days, I used to have to go get paperwork notarized and all to buy a cert. Now I just answer an automated phone call to a phone number I entered in a form when I bought the cert. Nevertheless, if the server admin has not paid for a cert, or has not paid to renew the cert this year, or the key does not match the name, then your browser is taught to pop up an error such as you describe. Your transmission is still encrypted. Remember -- all the work is done by browser and server. No work is done by a cert. The error just means the server admin didn't pay someone or didn't configure things right. If all matches, then you see a lock on the status bar.

All in all, certs are just about the biggest scam on the internet. Though perfectly legal and virtually required.

“It has been a source of great pain to me to have met with so many among [my] opponents who had not the liberality to distinguish between political and social opposition; who transferred at once to the person, the hatred they bore to his political opinions.” —Thomas Jefferson (1808)

• Options
    kaspera79kaspera79 Posts: 7,257 ✭✭✭
    Yeah, lately it seems connecting here gives my computers fits. I eventually get on after several attempts and long delays, this has been going on for awhile.
  • Options
    BigshizzaBigshizza Posts: 15,645 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Spotty for me too, mentioned it to Andy and he had no clue. So, I let him know.
  • Options
    onestrangeoneonestrangeone Posts: 2,441 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I had some issues over the weekend (server error) only with c.com's site but was able to open with a hyper-link in my notebook, second time in a month or this has happened.
  • Options
    phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
    please pass the tin foil hat.....
  • Options
    phobicsquirrel:
    please pass the tin foil hat.....
    I Always keep one close by!
  • Options
    Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,090 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Same crap, different weekend. On my computer I can get on the ccom site and all other internet sites but not the forum. On my phone I can get on the forums just fine.
  • Options
    kaspera79kaspera79 Posts: 7,257 ✭✭✭
    Bob Luken:
    Same crap, different weekend. On my computer I can get on the ccom site and all other internet sites but not the forum. On my phone I can get on the forums just fine.
    .. Yeah same thing today, don't know why.
  • Options
    Bob Luken:
    you must not have folded the tin foil correctly! it's to the left!
  • Options
    perkinkeperkinke Posts: 1,572 ✭✭✭
    onestrangeone:
    Bob Luken:
    you must not have folded the tin foil correctly! it's to the left!
    Not always, some guys go to the right.

Another odd thing with this is when the forums don't come up with Firefox they usually do with Chrome. I bet it's a conspiracy by google to take over the interwebs...
  • Options
    BigshizzaBigshizza Posts: 15,645 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bob Luken:
    Yep same here! Is this a Ccom issue??
  • Options
    Bigshizza:
    Bob Luken:
    Yep same here! Is this a Ccom issue??
    I think it might be, Crome, Firefox, Ie, sometimes one will work sometimes none will. I don't seem to be having problems with anything else.