Home Non Cigar Related

Who grows hot peppers?

LiquidChaos66LiquidChaos66 Posts: 3,767 ✭✭✭✭
What is your climate like and how do you go from start to finish. I wanna grow some butt burners next year and need input. Thanks in advance!!!
Life is like a blind fiver. You never know what you're gonna get.

Comments

• jgibvjgibv Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ray (glock1975) is the man when it comes to peppers ..... I'd say you definitely wanna get his expert opinion.

My $0.02 --- I'm in zone 5B. Plant after the last frost (we were a little early this year and ours got Some frost damage early in the season and got off to a slow start. but they ended up ok). I've Tried peppers both in pots and in-ground ..... Pots don't work too well, they'll get too hot and the roots get "fried", it will stress the plant and you don't get much "fruit"
    Plant them where they'll get full sun - seriously the more sun, the better
    Plant in ground if possible, plant them in a nice, rich potting/top soil mix (we use the miracle grow brand) add compost if you have it .... Need lots of nutrients in your soil.
    Get some fertilizer and follow the instructions (we use plant tone brand, vegetable) about 1 tbsp when you plant it then add more every 6 weeks or after a big"harvest".
    Water them almost every day, or every other day.....especially when they start to produce buds.
    I've started them from seeds and pre-bought plants from the store.....had good results with both.

Had 2 Serrano plants in ground this year, 1 was frost damaged early on but bounced back ---- got a gallon ziploc bag fill of peppers in the freezer, given away a few half-sandwich bags full to friends too. And there's still probably 3+ dozen peppers on the plant that I'll pick before it gets cold. This was a good year for my peppers (tomatoes and herbs were good too.)

* I have a new address as of 3/24/18 *

• LiquidChaos66LiquidChaos66 Posts: 3,767 ✭✭✭✭
    I may not have many options for planting I the ground. If needed to plant in pots would larger pots be a good idea as opposed to smaller pots?
  • macs-smokesmacs-smokes Posts: 587
    I would think yes... I have been told.... (I'm no expert) that the peppers are hotter with less water once they set on. But if you can avoid pots I would.
    LiquidChaos66:
    I may not have many options for planting I the ground. If needed to plant in pots would larger pots be a good idea as opposed to smaller pots?
    I've tried doing single plants in big 5-gal pots before on our deck....didn't have much luck.
    They got fried! But we never took them in/moved them to shade when it was super hot (90+).....that could have been the problem.
    I got some peppers from the potted plant but nothing big and not much yield. If you go that route be sure to give them ALOT of water. Idk, only tried that one season.
    But we have lots of potted herbs, much success with those so IDK.

Talk with Ray for sure.....idk if he grows in pots or in ground. You may just have to experiment with it. I got some good word docs about gardens/plants/etc but idk if there's anything pepper-specific. I'll search the computer later this week and let you know if I find anything pertinent.

• Bobbo2009Bobbo2009 Posts: 915 ✭✭✭
    I usually grow 1-2 hot peppers every year. I'm in the midwest, Illinois. Not sure of my climate zone. I always plant jalapeno's along with a different hot pepper every year. The different plant could be cayenne, habanero or hot banana. I usually plant in the ground end of April to mid May. It all depends on if it has been a hot/cold or rainy/dry spring. I have never had a problem with any of them not producing all season long. Usually the jalapeno's do quite well and continue up through the first hard freeze. The cayenne and banana do just as good through the first or second frost. The habanero's are insane. The last year that I planted them I was getting 50-100 per plant. I was picking them all season long.

I have tried to grow in pots, and the only success that I have had have been with teh habanero's and the cayenne. They kept on producing all season. Of course they didn't grow that tall, but they were always full of flowers and peppers. I mostly had them in large windowsill planters with three plants per planter.

I am no where near an expert in growing peppers, far from it. I just ring up all of my success to pure, dumb luck. But, I will take it every year. Plenty of peppers for chili all winter long and I never run out of pepper powders!

Rob
  • Rob1110Rob1110 Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭
    I've been growing hots for years now. I make a lot of my own hot sauces and have grown Cayenne, Poblano, Jalapeno, Habanero, Hot Lantern and Bhut Jolokia and have had luck with all except the ghosts. From two plants, I got one pepper. Lots of flowers but only one, lone, ripening pepper sits on one plant right now. I'll probably harvest that tonight for my Halloween Hot Sauce, along with the rest of my Habs.

General veggie fertilizers (10-10-10) work well. A good soil is key (my soil sucked this year). Water often when the plants are young, flowering and fruiting and begin to space out as the peppers begin to ripen. Fertilize as you would any other fruits/veggies.

You can force tomatoes and hot peppers into ripening by going a few days in between watering. Sends the plants into a panic mode and they tend to ripen quicker. I'm up in MA, so my growing conditions aren't what you'd call "ideal" for hot peppers but I've had great luck so far.

I'm thinking of picking up a grower's lamp and bringing three of my plants in over the winter. I have some scorpions that I started way too late, my ghosts and one Hab plant. We'll see how that goes.
  • Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,679 ✭✭✭✭✭
    3 or 4 years back, I planted a row of hot peppers, about 5 jalepenos and 3 Habeneros, I think. They freeze well, and I still have enough to go through this year, maybe the next. I must have gotten 2 full bushels of the jalepenos, couple to three gallons of the habeneros. About 3 of those habeneros to 2 gallons of chili is all most folks can stand, in my experience. I've made some putting 5 or 6 in, but I'm the only one who can eat it.
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
    From the sounds of it as long as they are watered and in the sun they should do well. I think I'm gonna build a new raised bed for peppers this year. :) when planting seeds what's a good time of year to do the initial planting? Being in oregon out weather and seasons are kinda crappy till about late June.
  • Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,679 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think raised bed is a good idea. They can't take the frost, but as early as possible seems to work, buy starts or start indoors, the extreme heat of midsummer can do them in here in Tennessee, I don't know how it is where you are. I'd guess that if you're western Oregon, you should be fine, but if I recall correctly the Eastern side of the state can get pretty hot.
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • BigshizzaBigshizza Posts: 15,659 ✭✭✭✭✭
    LiquidChaos66:
    From the sounds of it as long as they are watered and in the sun they should do well. I think I'm gonna build a new raised bed for peppers this year. :) when planting seeds what's a good time of year to do the initial planting? Being in oregon out weather and seasons are kinda crappy till about late June.
    I really couldn't grow peppers on the west side, just not sunny and warm enough.
    Sadly I don't know how well peppers would do in our yard and climate. We grew some jalepenos last year that turned out prett good. But I don't know how ghost peppers or scorpion peppers would do. Would be awesome if they came out mild so I could bet people I could eat a handful of them and not burn my insides out. Lol
  • dr_frankenstein56dr_frankenstein56 Posts: 1,612 ✭✭✭
    my family grows around 20 acres a year of Long Green Chile a year in Lemitar NM. Just finished the harvest early last month. Chile is a life blood for us.
    You have any pics of the crops? Lol would kinda like to see that. :)
    LiquidChaos66:
    Absolutly! but i must confess, whats the best way to get pics on this site? I use IE7 and i dont actually get to see many other pics others post.
  • thedjfish@comcast.netthedjfish@comcast.net Posts: 1,692 ✭✭✭
    LiquidChaos66:
    What is your climate like and how do you go from start to finish. I wanna grow some butt burners next year and need input. Thanks in advance!!!
    i grow super hots, and the odd ball or rare type peppers , all this done in 3 gal. pots outside, the plants grow to 3-4ft high, i already pulled this yrs. crop, and tossed the plants already, but i get 2-3lbs from each plant
    dr_frankenstein56:
    LiquidChaos66:
    Absolutly! but i must confess, whats the best way to get pics on this site? I use IE7 and i dont actually get to see many other pics others post.
    Simple explanation ....
    1) Upload your photo to a site like Imgur or Photobucket.
    2) Then copy and paste the BBC Code to your forum post.
    The BBC Code is formatted like this
    [ IMG ] http://i.imgur.com/UNIQUECODE.png [ / IMG ]

More details here:
    http://www.cigar.com/cs/forums/8/698743/ShowThread.aspx#698743

• kaspera79kaspera79 Posts: 7,257 ✭✭✭
    dr_frankenstein56:
    my family grows around 20 acres a year of Long Green Chile a year in Lemitar NM. Just finished the harvest early last month. Chile is a life blood for us.
    Wow.. You guys must really like peppers.
    thedjfish@comcast.net:
    LiquidChaos66:
    i grow super hots, and the odd ball or rare type peppers , all this done in 3 gal. pots outside, the plants grow to 3-4ft high, i already pulled this yrs. crop, and tossed the plants already, but i get 2-3lbs from each plant

How many plants per pot?
    @ LiquidChaos --- I found a couple word docs: "Good Vegetables for Containers" "Vegetable Suggested Varieties" and some info about "Fertilizers"
    If you want them, PM me your email and I'll forward them to you.
    LiquidChaos66:
    thedjfish@comcast.net:
    LiquidChaos66:

How many plants per pot?
    Would love to hear about your set-up too, Jose.
    How do you have so much success growing in pots ??? Soil/planting tips? Watering/fertilizing? Location? Pepper varieites?
    I've never had much luck growing them in pots.

LiquidChaos66:

sun drying right on the vine for the red harvest

WOW!!! That is amazing! I would be in heaven there! Great pics!
    kaspera79:
    dr_frankenstein56:
    Wow.. You guys must really like peppers.
    you have no idea..... damn near put chile on cereal in the morning.