Home Non Cigar Related
Options

Where did you serve?

EchambersEchambers Posts: 4,178 ✭✭✭✭✭
It seems there are a lot of vets and some active duty here. So where and when did you serve? I served in the 82nd Airborne during the 80s and smoked my first cigar--some nasty a$$ thing from 7-11--when I graduated from jump school.}
-- "There's something that doesn't make sense. Let's go poke it with a stick."

Comments

• Options
    Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,429 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Big Red 1. Ft. Riley, Germany, and then later in TX at Ft. Sam Houston, eventually ended up re-enlisting into the NG, planned to return after college, life got in the way.
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • Options
    Coast Guard in the mid 90's for 4 years, 2 years at Station Ocean City NJ and 2 years Station New Haven CT. Never really did anything cool, was on land most of the time acting as a supply clerk or whatever else was needed, spent the first of those 2 years in CT as the Chief of staff to the Station CO....well I was really the only staff but nice title eh? And I should mention the Station CO was my Uncle, who was retiring that year....so again I never did anything real cool.
  • Options
    Jetmech_63Jetmech_63 Posts: 3,451 ✭✭✭
    Joined the Navy in 97 and am still on active duty. Currently at NAS Lemoore CA but started off in Yokosuka Japan, then Virginia Beach then came to lemoore. Jet engine mechanic by trade but now i run quality assurance for the Navy's largest squadron with 108 aircraft. It has its bad days but i still have zero regrets and couldnt see myself doing anything else.
  • Options
    RainRain Posts: 8,958 ✭✭✭
    5 years at Fort Hood with the 504th BFSB. A year in Iraq with 1st ID and a year in Afghanistan with the French Foreign Legion. Soon I head to the 101st and back to Afghanistan.
  • Options
    Knoxca1Knoxca1 Posts: 148 ✭✭
    USS Fitzgerald, USS Essex, USS Bonnhome Richard, Fleet Activities Chinhae, NAVAIR, CENTCOM and Naval Postgraduate School. Just passed the 11 year mark and still enjoying it.
  • Options
    KevinFittsKevinFitts Posts: 225
    Hanau Germany 87-91 Operation Desert shield - Operation Desert Storm (somewhere in the desert)
  • Options
    Jetmech_63Jetmech_63 Posts: 3,451 ✭✭✭
    Knoxca1:
    USS Fitzgerald, USS Essex, USS Bonnhome Richard, Fleet Activities Chinhae, NAVAIR, CENTCOM and Naval Postgraduate School. Just passed the 11 year mark and still enjoying it.

7 commands in 11 years? What are you, communications or staff?
  • Options
    Knoxca1Knoxca1 Posts: 148 ✭✭
    The Essex and BHR was a split tour when the BHR came out to replace the Essex. Chinhae was for only a year since at that time that was the tour length for unaccompanied tours, I believe it has since changed. CENTCOM was for only 6 months as an IA. I'm in the supply corps, a member of the staff corps.
  • Options
    jsnakejsnake Posts: 5,979 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ft. McClellan, AL
    Yongsan, South Korea
    Ft. Polk, LA
    Ft. CLayton, Panama
  • Options
    Ft.Riley, KS for me also 1999-2002 with 24th Inf. Div. on main post
  • Options
    dr_frankenstein56dr_frankenstein56 Posts: 1,612 ✭✭✭
    Jetmech_63:
    Joined the Navy in 97 and am still on active duty. Currently at NAS Lemoore CA but started off in Yokosuka Japan, then Virginia Beach then came to lemoore. Jet engine mechanic by trade but now i run quality assurance for the Navy's largest squadron with 108 aircraft. It has its bad days but i still have zero regrets and couldnt see myself doing anything else.
    Hey hey Lemoore! I went to C school there!
  • Options
    4 years in the Navy in the mid 80's. When on land home was NAS Oceana. Two trips to the Med with my squadron VA-85. First aboard the USS John F Kennidy and the last on the USS Saratoga.We were the squadron that had the A-6 shot down over Lybia and where out there when the Marine barracks got bombed in Lebanon. Sad day.
  • Options
    Bump for Veteran's Day and for all the new guys.
  • Options
    Usaf06Usaf06 Posts: 10,974 ✭✭✭✭✭
    McGuire AFB 97-01. Deployed to Oman in 98 for operation southern watch and Prince sultan AB, Saudi Arabia in 99. My job was command and control working in the command post. My only regret is that I got out.
    "I drink a great deal. I sleep a little, and I smoke cigar after cigar. That is why I am in two-hundred-percent form."
    -- Winston Churchill

"LET'S GO FRANCIS"     Peter

• Options
    First_WarriorFirst_Warrior Posts: 3,162 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Parris Island in March 1966. Vietnam as a grunt with 1st Bn 9th Marines Sept--May 1967 when I took a AK round through my hip in the forth day of a battle that reduced my platoon to only two Marines unwounded. No bones broken and no major vessels hit, a big million dollar wound. Four months in a hospital in Japan then six months in Great Lakes Naval Hospital. Limited duty at Quantico till I got out in March 1969. I then hitched a ride to the DC airport and ended up living on the beach on St. Croix for six years.
  • Options
    NolagizmoNolagizmo Posts: 1,914 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Parris Island in March 1966. Vietnam as a grunt with 1st Bn 9th Marines Sept--May 1967 when I took a AK round through my hip in the forth day of a battle that reduced my platoon to only two Marines unwounded. No bones broken and no major vessels hit, a big million dollar wound. Four months in a hospital in Japan then six months in Great Lakes Naval Hospital. Limited duty at Quantico till I got out in March 1969. I then hitched a ride to the DC airport and ended up living on the beach on St. Croix for six years.
    Wow! You amaze me sir. Bless you and thank you for your bravery and sacrafice.
    I appreciate all you have done, gone through and go through. Your handle is very fitting. All the best. You are a true American!
    "Come party with me in Tennessee for my birthday July we can smoke in the Smokey's."
  • Options
    Nolagizmo said:
    Wow! You amaze me sir. Bless you and thank you for your bravery and sacrafice.
    I appreciate all you have done, gone through and go through. Your handle is very fitting. All the best. You are a true American!
    I cannot wait to read your book. 
  • Options
    raisindotraisindot Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭
    Every day should be Veterans Day, but a special thanks to all of you for serving your nation with honor.   
  • Options
    UseAsDirectedUseAsDirected Posts: 140 ✭✭✭
    I haven't served but my family and parents did. I very much appreciate all the hard work you do to keep us safe in this crazy world.
    "Even a fool has a talent"
    -That one guy
  • Options
    Glock1975Glock1975 Posts: 5,152 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thank you brother's for your service. I read the the book, amazing. 
  • Options
    YankeeManYankeeMan Posts: 2,654 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thank you all for your service and sacrifice.