Home Cigar 101

Did I completely F^%&%k myself up?

gripnripgripnrip Posts: 502 ✭✭✭
Let me start out by saying I am not new to cigars. I have been smoking regularly for about 7 years and been a forum member for close to 4 years. I have learned a lot here (many thanks), but I apparently have not learned to not be stupid.
Here is what happened: I have three humi's. Two fifty count-one for yard gars/golf/pass out to non-smoking friends, etc. and one for better sticks that I smoke regularly. I also have a 150 count where I store my special occasion cigars and sticks I want to age. I use Boveda packs exclusively and keep my humi's in our basement as the humidity down there is much more stable than in the upstairs house. Well, last night I went down to choose my stick for the evening. As usual, I checked the humidity in all the humi's and selected a cigar from 50 count #2. This morning I went down to grab some golf gars and DAMN-the lid was up on the 150 count (it couldn't have been the yard gar humi-NOOOO)! The analog hygrometer in the lid read 40% and the Xikar digital under the tray (in the "main" body of the humidor) read 58%. The lid was up approximately 14 hours. So....my question is....did I completely mess up my prized collection of upper end sticks, or over time will they be ok?

Comments

• CigaryCigary Posts: 630
    You're fine...if it was only open that long it will be easy to get the RH back to where it was within a day or so but I'd let your cigars marinate for a good week before I smoked one. Just because the hygro said the inside was at that percentage doesnt mean that all of your cigars were at the same...cigars hold on to their RH better than we understand and you could have left all of them on a table for 24 hours and they'd be fine.
  • Ken_LightKen_Light Posts: 3,537 ✭✭✭
    Cigary:
    You're fine...if it was only open that long it will be easy to get the RH back to where it was within a day or so but I'd let your cigars marinate for a good week before I smoked one. Just because the hygro said the inside was at that percentage doesnt mean that all of your cigars were at the same...cigars hold on to their RH better than we understand and you could have left all of them on a table for 24 hours and they'd be fine.
    What he said. Cigars just aren't that fragile. If you went on a month long vacation and came back to this, you'd be in trouble, but a night ain't no thang. You could probably even smoke them right now and notice no difference.
    ^Troll: DO NOT FEED.
  • kaspera79kaspera79 Posts: 7,257 ✭✭✭
    Don't worry, like the others said they are fine. Make sure all your humidification devices are charged, maybe wipe down the inside of your humidor for a little extra head start on recovery, and you are good. I've done it before with no ill results.
  • gripnripgripnrip Posts: 502 ✭✭✭
    Hey thanks guys....big weight off my mind! Think I'll celebrate with a cigar!
  • RhamlinRhamlin Posts: 8,908 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Did the same thing myself not long ago.
  • ddubridgeddubridge Posts: 3,978 ✭✭✭
    Happens to me more then I would like to put a number on.
    Appreciate these comments. Makes me feel a little bit less the idiot.
  • KingoftheCoveKingoftheCove Posts: 937 ✭✭✭
    These fine gentlemen failed to tell you one important factor:
    Your cigars may be tainted!!

It is vitally important that you immediately send them to a Certified "Open Humi" cigar inspector for testing.
    I should point out that I am one only one here on these Boards with said certification.
    Simply send me a fiver of your best smokes from that humi. I will let you know in a few days if your cigars are safe to smoke.
    Your welcome.

• onestrangeoneonestrangeone Posts: 2,441 ✭✭✭✭✭
    KingoftheCove:

It is vitally important that you immediately send them to a Certified "Open Humi" cigar inspector for testing.
    I should point out that I am one only one here on these Boards with said certification.
    Simply send me a fiver of your best smokes from that humi. I will let you know in a few days if your cigars are safe to smoke.
    Your welcome.

How do I get certified for this?
    KingoftheCove:

Your welcome.

Ha ha...was wondering if this would come up! PM me your addy and I'll send you a "sample".
    gripnrip:
    Ha ha...was wondering if this would come up! PM me your addy and I'll send you a "sample".

ah..........................let me think...........................hmmmmm...........................
    no
  • big chunksbig chunks Posts: 1,607
    ddubridge:
    Happened to me 2, i think alcohol was involved, lol
  • KevinFittsKevinFitts Posts: 225
    big chunks:
    ddubridge:
    Happened to me 2, i think alcohol was involved, lol
    Try Dat. X2 I am working on my inspector certification. I need about 10 more tainted sticks to pass the trial requirements. ;-)
    you guys actually leave your humis open??
    dummies...........
    I have NEVER done anything that lame...............

well..............

OK ....................I'll admit to smoking almost 1/2 a cigar label...................TWICE!!!

First time was a few years back, drunk-smoking on the back porch at night in the dark, and I laughed it off as a drunken noob bozo stunt..............and swore it would never happen again............

Happened again this past summer...........smoking a MF #4............sitting around the fire pit in the dark (not drunk.........well......... not really drunk) and my cigar starts tasting nasty.........but I kept puffing away thinking it's just a "bad" spot.............

DOH!!!!

• Glock1975Glock1975 Posts: 5,152 ✭✭✭✭✭
    KingoftheCove:
    you guys actually leave your humis open??
    dummies...........
    I have NEVER done anything that lame...............

well..............

OK ....................I'll admit to smoking almost 1/2 a cigar label...................TWICE!!!

First time was a few years back, drunk-smoking on the back porch at night in the dark, and I laughed it off as a drunken noob bozo stunt..............and swore it would never happen again............

Happened again this past summer...........smoking a MF #4............sitting around the fire pit in the dark (not drunk.........well......... not really drunk) and my cigar starts tasting nasty.........but I kept puffing away thinking it's just a "bad" spot.............

DOH!!!!

Lol, and I thought I was the only 1 who has been drunk and did this. Thanks for making me feel better.