Home General Discussion

Humidor Advice

Recently i was visiting a cigar shop out of town when i came across a Prometheus humidor for the first time. I was impressed by the quality and craftsmanship. I have a decent humidor now that I purchased online via a discount humidor site. Works well. Looks nice. Was in the $100 range when i got it. I think too it stores up to 75-100 sticks capacity.
Since the Prometheus experience i got the bug to research the next step up in humidors. I am looking in that $200/$250-$350 range, and again only need capacity in that 100 or so cigar range.
I have seen online the Adorini humidors as well, and Craftsman Bench. I need someone who knows what they are talking about to tell me two things.
1) is there any difference between humidors like the entry level one i own that is cedar lined and the likes of the Adorini, Crafstman Bench, or Prometheus?
2) are there other manufacturers i should be looking at? Who makes a quality box that will also display nicely?
There are soooo many choices in the "discount" humidor range online but i don't trust the quality of them all.
Thanks in advance for the opinions.

Comments

• brianetz1brianetz1 Posts: 4,134 ✭✭✭
    InStLouie:
    Recently i was visiting a cigar shop out of town when i came across a Prometheus humidor for the first time. I was impressed by the quality and craftsmanship. I have a decent humidor now that I purchased online via a discount humidor site. Works well. Looks nice. Was in the $100 range when i got it. I think too it stores up to 75-100 sticks capacity. Since the Prometheus experience i got the bug to research the next step up in humidors. I am looking in that $200/$250-$350 range, and again only need capacity in that 100 or so cigar range. I have seen online the Adorini humidors as well, and Craftsman Bench. I need someone who knows what they are talking about to tell me two things. 1) is there any difference between humidors like the entry level one i own that is cedar lined and the likes of the Adorini, Crafstman Bench, or Prometheus? 2) are there other manufacturers i should be looking at? Who makes a quality box that will also display nicely? There are soooo many choices in the "discount" humidor range online but i don't trust the quality of them all. Thanks in advance for the opinions.
    Nice to see another St. Louis face in here.....go cards!

I am not the most seasoned vet on this, but i have only used cheaper humidors for the 100-200ct humidors and they do just fine. i have the cheap 200 ct drawer one from one of the other online retailers which was 99.99 and you got some other free stuff with it and after seasoning it, it stays rock solid at 68 with 7 69 degree boveda packs in there.

personally i wouldn't spend that kind of cash on a humidor, i would go cheaper and get a bigger one and spend more money at the hill cigar co......or here.
  • thehilkthehilk Posts: 1,108 ✭✭✭
    I agree I bought my 250-300 ct humidor off cheaphumidors.com for $119
  • Got my Diablo 300ct for 110$ about 3.5 years ago...forget where though.
  • blurrblurr Posts: 962 ✭✭
    The diablo mentioned is like $130 after taxes and shipping, and it's big I have one among my humis. Great humi. You want value versus price, buy a wine fridge and set it up as a humi. If you can add in wiring knowledge and fans, you have a nice display humi/fridge that can hold 30 to 40 boxes. Just a thought.
  • KevinFittsKevinFitts Posts: 225
    If you're looking for a display or showpiece, there are a lot of really great options out there. If you want bang for the buck to store large quantities of sticks/boxes, I would recommend a Colidoor. There are several strings discussing specifics, but I use a Coleman with beads and a digital hydrometer. The whole setup costed about $75. I have about 6 boxes and a couple hundred loose sticks in mine. They hold temp/humidity perfectly and the number of sticks that you can have is only limited by the size of the cooler. If your happy with what you have, I would leave it out and consider this as an option to keep out of site for aging and storage. Just a thought.
  • KCWKCW Posts: 1,334 ✭✭✭
    My nice/"Showpeice" Humidor is a Daniel Marshall Treasure Chest. Really nice. Really expensive. Works fantastically. I have a "Budget" humi for my overflow. Works but, needs way more attention. The Daniel Marshall sits right on the bar and holds the humidity rock steady. (and looks pretty too.)
  • Thank you all for the replies. I would love a Daniel Marshall but not sure I can justify $500ish. Is it really worth it? The Prometheus I saw in the store was gorgeous but about $350 if I remember correctly. I must do some more shopping. I don't need to store any more than 100 or less at any given time.
  • KingoftheCoveKingoftheCove Posts: 937 ✭✭✭
    Shop around for a "G Watts" humidor............used.....craigslist, or ebay, or ?
    Excellent desktops, that can be found on the cheap sometimes.
    I'm not even sure he's still in business.

something like this

http://thechocolate-shop.com/321212639043P-g-watts-humidor-holds-100-cigars

that's a steal at $40