Home General Discussion
Options

Hey AJ, how about a diesel lancero!

Just sitting here smoking a diesel unlimited, with a little buffalo trace bourbon. Thinking man, wouldn't it be awesome if aj would make these in a lancero! I can't be the only one.

Comments

• Options
    kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    you are not the only one.

however i suspect that there not quite enough to make it profitable to take your best rollers out to make this difficult size.
    at some point we do have to realize it is a business. there are not quite enough of the lancero nerds out there that want em.
    even cuba is having a similar issue. if you look at the discontinue lists and the additions lists over the last few years one trend is true: smaller rings are leaving, larger rings are being added.

it sucks. i do love me a corona gorda or lonsdale. the 50+ ring is wining at this point.
  • Options
    denniskingdennisking Posts: 3,703 ✭✭✭
    you may not be able to ever get one but around here somewhere is a corona sampler of all the AJ sticks, including the UHC in a corona. That's about as small of a ring gauge you'll find
  • Options
    HeavyHeavy Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭
    You can actually get the corona in a tin of 30 (i think it's 30). You could probably even get a 5er or 10 pack if you asked the beard or Andy nicely.

One thing I've been meaning to discuss for a while is the difference between the UHC and the corona. It's my experience that the corona just doesn't translate as well as the UHC, and I love the UHC with some time on it. I def think the UHC starts to shine with about 18 months age. Now the coronas I've had haven't had as much age, so I put them away and will try one again soon. Hopefully it starts to act a little more like the UHC.

So I'm curious how the Diesel would translate into a lancero, but I sure as hell would try one!

Anyone else with thoughts on the UHC vs. corona?
  • Options
    allsmokedupallsmokedup Posts: 751 ✭✭
    Heavy:

One thing I've been meaning to discuss for a while is the difference between the UHC and the corona. It's my experience that the corona just doesn't translate as well as the UHC, and I love the UHC with some time on it. I def think the UHC starts to shine with about 18 months age. Now the coronas I've had haven't had as much age, so I put them away and will try one again soon. Hopefully it starts to act a little more like the UHC.

So I'm curious how the Diesel would translate into a lancero, but I sure as hell would try one!

Yes, I can confirm that the UHC torp and corona taste way different. I do have some UHC coronas with roughly that age on them as well, but I haven't tried them as the first few that I smoked were utterly disappointing compared to the normal UHC or even the Shorty.

Somehow, with the larger vitolas, that smokiness from the smoke curing of the wrapper comes through even more than the corona where surprisingly I'd expect the inverse to be true given larger ratio of wrapper to filler in the corona.

Either way, I'm way overdue to smoke a UHC and a corona as I haven't had either in the last 6 months, so I think I'll do that in the next week.
  • Options
    I have had that corona sampler. The puro authentico is one of my favorites. And I really enjoy the uhc corona. He makes the San lotano lancero, which are awesome. The unlimited is pretty much my 'go to' cigar, and I'd just love to try it in a lancero. I know big ring guages are in though. A man can dream though...
  • Options
    denniskingdennisking Posts: 3,703 ✭✭✭
    If you like the Unlimited, try the Diesel Grind, especially the shorty. The wrapper tastes similar to me but it's a little bit fuller in the flavor department like the UHC. It's a B&M only stick though. I like the Shorty vitola in that one.
  • Options
    dennisking:
    If you like the Unlimited, try the Diesel Grind, especially the shorty. The wrapper tastes similar to me but it's a little bit fuller in the flavor department like the UHC. It's a B&M only stick though. I like the Shorty vitola in that one.

Thanks. Wondered about that one, but wasn't real impressed with the wicked or hair of the dog, so never went looking for one. I'll have to give it a try!
  • Options
    allsmokedup:
    Somehow, with the larger vitolas, that smokiness from the smoke curing of the wrapper comes through even more than the corona where surprisingly I'd expect the inverse to be true given larger ratio of wrapper to filler in the corona.

Either way, I'm way overdue to smoke a UHC and a corona as I haven't had either in the last 6 months, so I think I'll do that in the next week.
    Yes on both parts! I was a big fan of the PA broadleaf when it was popular a few years ago (UHC, Patel Bros and one or two more that I think have been discontinued) and was surprised that the wrapper didn't shine a bit more in the Diesel corona vitola. I recently had a LGC Core corona from an AJ corona sampler and actually thought it tasted more like I thought a Diesel corona would taste which is really odd and may just be me (it was my first and only Core in any vitola so take it with a grain of salt).

And my next smoke is probably going to be a Diesel of some sort as I haven't had one in a while myself.
  • Options
    I'm pretty sure the LGC CORE is one of AJ's hybrid Ecuadorian Sun-Grown Habano wrappers, so absolutely nothing like the PA Broadleaf.
  • Options
    blurrblurr Posts: 962 ✭✭
    Heavy:
    You can actually get the corona in a tin of 30 (i think it's 30). You could probably even get a 5er or 10 pack if you asked the beard or Andy nicely.

I was hoping the same thing. I bought about 20 of the diesel coronas and set them all down for a few years. Think its been just over a year, hoping they are as good as aged UHC's but time will tell. Anybody smoked a diesel corona with a few years rest to see if they are up to the diesel taste?
  • Options
    Ken_LightKen_Light Posts: 3,537 ✭✭✭
    allsmokedup:
    Heavy:

Yes, I can confirm that the UHC torp and corona taste way different. I do have some UHC coronas with roughly that age on them as well, but I haven't tried them as the first few that I smoked were utterly disappointing compared to the normal UHC or even the Shorty.

Glad to see I'm not alone! Not sure why either, but I had the same experience!
    ^Troll: DO NOT FEED.
  • Options
    kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    Ken Light:
    allsmokedup:
    Heavy:

i suspect that, like many other brands that taste different in a smaller format, not only is it a wrapper to filler ratio but in general the smaller the ring the less ligero proportionately goes in. if its a ratio of ligero to non ligero leaves, ten the ratio goes down. this is done because ligero is difficult to burn compared to viso or seco. the burn issues would go way up.
  • Options
    Ken_LightKen_Light Posts: 3,537 ✭✭✭
    kuzi16:
    Ken Light:
    allsmokedup:
    Heavy:

i suspect that, like many other brands that taste different in a smaller format, not only is it a wrapper to filler ratio but in general the smaller the ring the less ligero proportionately goes in. if its a ratio of ligero to non ligero leaves, ten the ratio goes down. this is done because ligero is difficult to burn compared to viso or seco. the burn issues would go way up.
    That's really interesting, so by extension generally stronger cigars should change their flavor profile more (or at least differently) when changing to smller RG's. I was thinking about this after I posted and I realized that the original Diesel blend was made exclusively for one vitola, the UHC and that something in that process or that type of blending is what causes me to like it less the further the vitola gets from the UHC.
    ^Troll: DO NOT FEED.
  • Options
    Well, I had a Diesel corona tonight, and unfortunately I'm not precisely sure on the age because it came in a sampler and I didn't label it with the date (doh!), but I'm pretty sure it had a good 20-24 months on it. Anyway, it was excellent! Definitely more like the UHC with a little age - the spice calmed way down and it lost the harshness that the younger ones had, and the sweetness from the wrapper shone through much more. So if you have a bunch of the coronas, keep sitting on them. They'll get there.
  • Options
    blurrblurr Posts: 962 ✭✭
    Heavy:
    Well, I had a Diesel corona tonight, and unfortunately I'm not precisely sure on the age because it came in a sampler and I didn't label it with the date (doh!), but I'm pretty sure it had a good 20-24 months on it. Anyway, it was excellent! Definitely more like the UHC with a little age - the spice calmed way down and it lost the harshness that the younger ones had, and the sweetness from the wrapper shone through much more. So if you have a bunch of the coronas, keep sitting on them. They'll get there.
    That's good to hear, mine are approaching the 2 years mark in a bit. I have a feeling with the popularity of diesel, and knowing they age post roll on big new releases, that the coronas were an add on quickly rushed without the required diesel aging time. All smokes are better to me after 2 plus years rest, so I don't get the some smokes don't age well story but that's just my preference.
  • Options
    So, just to update this. I got my diesel underground sampler in the mail today. And BAM, a diesel lancero! But how can I smoke it, its the only one I have!
  • Options
    You should probably sit on it for a few years, as many of the guys before commented, to get the full effect of the wrapper...