Home General Discussion
Options

I want to know WHY and “they” won't tell me.

Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,016 ✭✭✭✭✭
You and I can hold our cigars any way we damn well please! There, I wanted to get that out of the way first because this isn't a question of how to hold a cigar. The question is this. Is there any sound reasoning why some people say there is a correct way? I have read the same “instruction” from several sources. Here is an example “ A cigar should not be held between your index and middle finger like a cigarette, instead hold it between your index finger and thumb.” And they never say WHY. WHY did they say it in the first place? Is there any sound reasoning behind it? Has anybody out there ever heard of WHY “they” said “do it this way”?

OK OK, so after a more extensive google search I did find ONE half-azzed reason. One source said if you hold it between the thumb and forefinger you'll be “less likely” to drop it. Less likely? Duh. You could say the same damn thing about holding a cigarette. That seems like a BS reason to me. Anybody got anything better than that BS reason? Anybody?

Comments

• Options
    danielzreyesdanielzreyes Posts: 8,769 ✭✭✭✭✭
    There is no "rght"way bro. ....... Although I heard if you hold it with your right hand, the taste is enhanced by 12 levels.
    "It's plume, bro. Nothing to worry about. Got any Opus?" The suppose to be DZR
  • Options
    danielzreyes:
    There is no "rght"way bro. ....... Although I heard if you hold it with your right hand, the taste is enhanced by 12 levels.
    Levels? We don't need no stinking levels! Hahahahahahaha.
  • Options
    Bob Luken:
    danielzreyes:
    Levels? We don't need no stinking levels! Hahahahahahaha.
    just going by what "they" say .... seriously though, I didn't even know there was a "right" way to hold a cigarette as well
  • Options
    Some people (not me) give a crap. Google search "How to hold a cigar" and see how much crap is written about it. There's even youtubes about it too.

And I don't care about right way wrong way. I just want to know WHY "they" say it's the right way. But they don't really give a good reason.

Take for example the cello on vs cello off debate. At least guys give their reasons why they think either method is best. But they never really say how the so-called "right" way to hold a cigar has any good reasoning to back it up.

P.S. ANY way you hold a cigarette is the wrong way. LOL
  • Options
    KingoftheCoveKingoftheCove Posts: 937 ✭✭✭
    There are several reasons for holding a cigar between the thumb and index finger as opposed to the way most people hold their cigs.

1) It's easier to gently rotate the cigar while holding it, something which should be done.

2) You have a better "feel", and won't "pinch" it too hard, which can happen with fatter ring sizes when held like cigs.

3) It's easier to ash correctly from a proper holding position.

4) It's easier to admire and inspect the cigar while you are smoking it.

5) When holding a cigar properly, you look like the "Most Interesting Man in the World". When holding one like a cig, you look like a back-alley meth hobo.

6) The smoke flows through the cigar properly, making it taste better.

7) Holding a cigar improperly will give you repetitive stress syndrome.

Everything above is utter BS..............................but it's as good as any other "explanation".
  • Options
    KingoftheCove:
    There are several reasons for holding a cigar between the thumb and index finger as opposed to the way most people hold their cigs.

1) It's easier to gently rotate the cigar while holding it, something which should be done.

2) You have a better "feel", and won't "pinch" it too hard, which can happen with fatter ring sizes when held like cigs.

5) When holding a cigar properly, you look like the "Most Interesting Man in the World". When holding one like a cig, you look like a back-alley meth hobo.

Everything above is utter BS..............................but it's as good as any other "explanation".

Good BS :) LOL

When I'm at my B&M I like to hold my lit cigar tucked up high between my index and middle fingers and then walk my fingers across a table or bar and then say out loud “Doc, my **** has a burning sensation”. Works out well because I don't mind the stares and nobody bothers me with their stupid chit chat after I do that.
  • Options
    Ken_LightKen_Light Posts: 3,537 ✭✭✭
    danielzreyes:
    Your left hand enhances taste by 20 levels*

*relative to your foot
    ^Troll: DO NOT FEED.
  • Options
    twistedstemtwistedstem Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭✭✭
    this wont help but i liked it.. cigar hold photo cigarhold_zpsda833ba6.jpg
    no matter where you go, there you are.

• Options
    kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    KingoftheCove:

ill agree with points 1,3, and 4.
    i wont ever call you on it if you are holding it "wrong"

i just feel like an idiot when i hold it like a cigarette.
  • Options
    No_one21No_one21 Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭
    Bob Luken:

When I'm at my B&M I like to hold my lit cigar tucked up high between my index and middle fingers and then walk my fingers across a table or bar and then say out loud “Doc, my **** has a burning sensation”. Works out well because I don't mind the stares and nobody bothers me with their stupid chit chat after I do that.

I am now trying something similar to this every time. Hell, I'll do it in public if that comes up lol
  • Options
    Ken Light:
    danielzreyes:

*relative to your foot
    Im gonna try using my left ...... foot, so I can get maximum level overload.
  • Options
    onestrangeoneonestrangeone Posts: 2,441 ✭✭✭✭✭
    danielzreyes:
    Ken Light:
    danielzreyes:

*relative to your foot
    Im gonna try using my left ...... foot, so I can get maximum level overload.
    This is what I had in mind except I plan to use my Right foot!