Home General Discussion
Options

Whatever happened to ..................

Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,016 ✭✭✭✭✭
I search ccom forum threads for various topics and I can't help noticing lots of very active members that have dissapeared from the forum.

Can you think of anybody that was once very active and left a huge post count behind but ain't around any more?

I'll just pick one at random..........

Whatever happened to .................. urbino?

Total Posts 4,530, Post Rank 2.
Last visited 03-19-2013.
Last post of his I could find, May 2010.

Comments

• Options
    Ken_LightKen_Light Posts: 3,537 ✭✭✭
    You know those guys that like a local band and then bail when they "sell out" or "get too big"? Yeah, it's kinda like that, at least for a lot of them.
    ^Troll: DO NOT FEED.
  • Options
    jgibvjgibv Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Who knows???

There's a whole number of reasons ....
    People get busy with careers, families, personal lives, etc.
    Some folks cut back on cigar smoking or cut it out completely and no longer have interest.
    Move to other sites/forums/etc.

But there was a "group" that seemed to all leave at the same time.
    I think Ken hit the nail on the head --- ^^^^ --- that seemed to be a contributing factor as to why the group left. IMO

* I have a new address as of 3/24/18 *

• Options
    jgibv:
    Who knows???

Some folks cut back on cigar smoking or cut it out completely and no longer have interest.

I think Ken hit the nail on the head --- ^^^^ --- that seemed to be a contributing factor as to why the group left. IMO
    I feel like there was more than one exodus. One was just a bit more vocal. But whatever.
  • Options
    jgibvjgibv Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ken Light:
    jgibv:
    Who knows???

I feel like there was more than one exodus. One was just a bit more vocal. But whatever.
    There's a particular $hit storm in general that came to mind ..... that's the only "mass" exodus I've noticed around here.
    Happened "fairly" recently but before Bob was around, I think.

Oh well --- there's probably been more that I haven't noticed too.

My wife tells me I'm not very observant, maybe she's right. LOL.

* I have a new address as of 3/24/18 *

• Options
    denniskingdennisking Posts: 3,703 ✭✭✭
    Ken Light:
    You know those guys that like a local band and then bail when they "sell out" or "get too big"? Yeah, it's kinda like that, at least for a lot of them.
    Me, Ozzy, Stephen, Clearlysuspect (Tony), laker1963, Rick (RCYcigars) Mike (mtucelli) and a couple others all left when Glen (Sniper) left. There was some serious disrespect in the off topic forums so we all just bailed. Since then, I think we've all checked in from time to time. I don't see Rich (rwheelwright) and jetmech(Vinny) on here too often any more either.
  • Options
    brianetz1brianetz1 Posts: 4,134 ✭✭✭
    dennisking:
    Ken Light:
    Me, Ozzy, Stephen, Clearlysuspect (Tony), laker1963, Rick (RCYcigars) Mike (mtucelli) and a couple others all left when Glen (Sniper) left. There was some serious disrespect in the off topic forums so we all just bailed. Since then, I think we've all checked in from time to time. I don't see Rich (rwheelwright) and jetmech(Vinny) on here too often any more either.
    come back and stay out of the off topic forum......that is a scary place.
  • Options
    I didn't consider that this question could dredge up any drama from the past. I should have known. Now I'm a little sad. Maybe a cigar will help me feel better :)
  • Options
    SleevePlzSleevePlz Posts: 6,249 ✭✭✭✭
    Bob Luken:
    I didn't consider that this question could dredge up any drama from the past. I should have known. Now I'm a little sad. Maybe a cigar will help me feel better :)
    Don't feel bad. All you've done in your time here is make this place that much better. People will come and go for any number of reasons. Those of us that are here will do what we do and probably really enjoy ourselves while we do it. That's why we stay and continue to return day after day. I'll admit, I miss a few of the guys that used to be regulars here. They know we are still here. They know we would be elated to have them frequent this forum again. Who knows, maybe some of them will again someday. All of this said, some people stop posting just because life gets in the way and there wasn't any forum drama that drove them away. Now I need to get back to packaging up a newbie bomb and a vet bomb, because both of them are way overdue!
    LLA - Lancero Lovers of America
  • Options
    rwheelwrightrwheelwright Posts: 3,296
    dennisking:
    Ken Light:
    I'm always here just don't have much to say. Too many other things going on a few other forums I look at. I haven't seen Vinny on FB at all recently but I think I saw a post or 2 from here on here a few days ago.
  • Options
    Bob Luken:
    Don't feel bad. This place has its ups and downs like anywhere. This has always been the tightest knit forum though so when things get frustrating, it affects a lot of people. With that said, I also stopped smoking as much (not my own choice) so I stopped rubbing it in my own face by coming on here.

I was looking thru a thread of mine from a year and a half ago when I put my measly little humidor out for a pass. That was a lot of fun. A lot of good memories. It was fun to see the updates and the generosity of people on here is staggering. That's why I can't stay away. Too many good peeps.
  • Options
    Jetmech_63Jetmech_63 Posts: 3,451 ✭✭✭
    rwheelwright:
    dennisking:
    Ken Light:
    I'm always here just don't have much to say. Too many other things going on a few other forums I look at. I haven't seen Vinny on FB at all recently but I think I saw a post or 2 from here on here a few days ago.

I'm still around :) I deleted my facebook a while ago, I just wasn't really into it anymore plus it got hacked. I'm more of a lurker on this site and resurface from time to time. Whatever happened to BBC(Brandon)...that guy was my first trade on the board.
  • Options
    dennisking:
    Ken Light:
    No drama, no need to re-start anything. It's cool that you still put the old records on from time to time, all of you. Tell Sniper hi for me on the other site.
  • Options
    KCWKCW Posts: 1,334 ✭✭✭
    Hays.
    He was the first guy to greet me many moons ago. I don't frequent here as much as I used to for a few reasons. The biggest one (for me) is the thread topics. But, still check in from time to time.
  • Options
    kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    just about every reason why someone who would leave has been listed. its sad to see most of these guys go but what can you do?

j0z3r, PuroFreak, Madurofan, and of course bbc020 are the names i miss seeing around here.

those guys were back in "the good ole days" when this forum was not as huge as it is now... back when the Holiday secret Santa only had 8 people in it.

• Options
    BBC was the first person to bomb me. Brandon is good peeps. I think Ozzy talks to him still. Joe Kuhrt (j0z3r) is on FB and I am friends with him there.

Vinny!!! It's good to see you post.

Yeah, sometimes it's weird posting when you don't know anyone. Our conversations on here are so friendly that sometimes, if you don't know the people on here, you don't want to intrude.

Matt (kuzi) has been here since the dawn of time and has never left which is pretty cool.

I was reading thru the list of names in my humidor pass and it was kind of a bummer to see those names and know that some aren't on here.

• Options
    KCW:
    Hays.
    He was the first guy to greet me many moons ago. I don't frequent here as much as I used to for a few reasons. The biggest one (for me) is the thread topics. But, still check in from time to time.
    He's living in Spain going to school over there. The dude went all "travel the world" on us. He's good peeps.
  • Options
    Ken Light:
    No drama, no need to re-start anything. It's cool that you still put the old records on from time to time, all of you. Tell Sniper hi for me on the other site.
    we know that isn't your intention at all. I talk to Glen (sniper) from time to time on Twitter. He's a solid dude. I still say that if I ever win the lottery, I'm flying all the Ccom peeps that I know and love out for a herf.
  • Options
    A person I really miss is Isaac Lee (lcpleel). He's on instagram but only every once in a while. Married a nice gal but I guess he's just a busy boy these days.
  • Options
    KCWKCW Posts: 1,334 ✭✭✭
    dennisking:
    KCW:
    Hays.
    He's living in Spain going to school over there. The dude went all "travel the world" on us. He's good peeps.
    Good for him. Hope he's well.
  • Options
    dennisking:
    Matt (kuzi) has been here since the dawn of time and has never left which is pretty cool.
    if im not mistaken im the 36th person to join the forum. i see no reason to leave. this forum has been too good to me.
  • Options
    danielruasdanielruas Posts: 778
    I didn't post a ton when I first joined but then left for well over a year due to life just getting insane, but now that I'm back I did notice a lot of guys I remember seeing a lot of posts from where no longer around but also it was nice to see that a lot of guys I do remember still around.

I do remember a time when the forum seemed a lot busier though, I assume there are far more members now but it just doesn't seem as busy maybe its just me who knows.
  • Options
    kuzi16:
    dennisking:
    if im not mistaken im the 36th person to join the forum. i see no reason to leave. this forum has been too good to me.
    I understand that there was a format change in 2008 and that all posts prior to 2008 were not able to be kept, but the forum began in 2004 or 2005. Is this right?
  • Options
    Bob Luken:
    kuzi16:
    dennisking:
    I understand that there was a format change in 2008 and that all posts prior to 2008 were not able to be kept, but the forum began in 2004 or 2005. Is this right?
    not just a format change but a platform change as well. the old forum was actually a subforum of a larger forum. it was just the cigar section. That forum was purchased and cigar.com made this forum.

that old forum still exists to an extent but it is nowhere near as active as it was when ccom was attached to it.
  • Options
    kuzi16:
    Bob Luken:
    kuzi16:
    dennisking:
    not just a format change but a platform change as well. the old forum was actually a subforum of a larger forum. it was just the cigar section. That forum was purchased and cigar.com made this forum.

that old forum still exists to an extent but it is nowhere near as active as it was when ccom was attached to it.
    I'd like to see that old forum (or sub-forum). How would I find it?
  • Options
    Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,429 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Laker and JDH are 2 I miss, along with many others
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • Options
    Bob Luken:
    kuzi16:
    Bob Luken:
    kuzi16:
    dennisking:

I'd like to see that old forum (or sub-forum). How would I find it?
    I tried searching amback, amback forum, amback cigar and many other variations with no luck. Any other way to look at the old pre-2008 forum posts that you know of?
  • Options
    alienmisprintalienmisprint Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭
    dennisking:
    KCW:
    Hays.
    Yeah man, he actual owns a rental property or two there and he's about to get married. We keep in touch on FB a good bit.

kuzi16:
    just about every reason why someone who would leave has been listed. its sad to see most of these guys go but what can you do?

j0z3r, PuroFreak, Madurofan, and of course bbc020 are the names i miss seeing around here.

those guys were back in "the good ole days" when this forum was not as huge as it is now... back when the Holiday secret Santa only had 8 people in it.

Purofreak is doing good, he opened up a restoration/hot rod shop in east Texas, we met up a few times before I came back out here. I was gonna ask about Maddy and joz3r too, also gmill. Anyone heard anythign from any of them?
  • Options
    ehehatehehat Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭
    I dont know if 3 months is long enough to count toward this but 90+Irishman. Brett is a really great guy and I miss him tons. Hope he's doing ok.
  • Options
    Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,429 ✭✭✭✭✭
    ehehat:
    I dont know if 3 months is long enough to count toward this but 90+Irishman. Brett is a really great guy and I miss him tons. Hope he's doing ok.
    Good question, where's he been?
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • Options
    danielruasdanielruas Posts: 778
    Amos Umwhat:
    ehehat:
    Good question, where's he been?
    I remember him from before I left, he was definitely a good dude.