Home General Discussion

Tell me sumthin' 'bout lanceros.

Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,004 ✭✭✭✭✭
I'm a lancero virgin but I have a couple that I received by way of trade. Tell me what I need to know in order to make the most of the experience. I've heard that I should go easy on the draw so they don't burn too hot. Anything else I should know?

Comments

• jgibvjgibv Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Some good discussion here and here

Just slow down and you'll be good to go.

My $0.02 - don't worry too much about it .... just puff away.
    Like any other cigar, if it starts to get hot and affects the taste, just slow down.

(**Edit, try to smoke it where you can sit and the air is calm .... I would not recommend smoking a lancero in 20 MPH wind or while doing yard work .... it's not forgiving like the larger RGs.)

* I have a new address as of 3/24/18 *

• denniskingdennisking Posts: 3,703 ✭✭✭
    They require more attention. Wait too long and it will go out because the lack of tobacco burning means that the ember is smaller. go too fast and it will get hot and ruin the flavor. I love lanceros. one of my favorite vitolas. So much wrapper flavor.
  • danielzreyesdanielzreyes Posts: 8,769 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The L40 is the toughest cigar to smoke. Ever!
    "It's plume, bro. Nothing to worry about. Got any Opus?" The suppose to be DZR
  • SleevePlzSleevePlz Posts: 6,249 ✭✭✭✭
    Bob Luken:
    Anything else I should know?
    Prepare to fall in love.
    LLA - Lancero Lovers of America
  • I've only had 1 lancero...and I did not like it. Though I did not like the blend to begin with lol. Cain Daytona...I love the Cain...but not the Daytona. That may have ruined lancero's for me. It's a hard vitola to find though.
  • ddubridgeddubridge Posts: 3,978 ✭✭✭
    SleevePlz:
    Bob Luken:
    Prepare to fall in love.
    +1

If you can try a cigar you might have already had in a different vitola might not be a bad idea. Something to base the experience on.
  • beatnicbeatnic Posts: 4,133
    Lanceros, lonsdales, coronas are the hardest cigars to roll. Because of the narrow leaf bunches, the constancy from foot to head is a bit difficult to control. I often find a bad spot while smoking a lancero. If you can work through it, good. Remember, we all prize the hand-rolled cigars. And they are imperfect.
  • Gray4linesGray4lines Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Putting me in the mood....
    LLA - Lancero Lovers of America
  • Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,004 ✭✭✭✭✭
    ddubridge:
    SleevePlz:
    Bob Luken:
    Prepare to fall in love.
    +1

If you can try a cigar you might have already had in a different vitola might not be a bad idea. Something to base the experience on.
    Coicedence Drew, I got both of the lanceros that I have from my newbie trade with you :) a Nestor Miranda Special selection (Which I have had before in larger vitolas) and an Oliva V.
  • gripnripgripnrip Posts: 502 ✭✭✭
    Bob Luken:
    ddubridge:
    SleevePlz:
    Bob Luken:
    Prepare to fall in love.
    +1

Coicedence Drew, I got both of the lanceros that I have from my newbie trade with you :) a Nestor Miranda Special selection (Which I have hade befor in larger vitolas) and a Oliva V.
    Those Oliva V's are soooo good.
  • blurrblurr Posts: 962 ✭✭
    Jasonc1982:
    I've only had 1 lancero...and I did not like it. Though I did not like the blend to begin with lol. Cain Daytona...I love the Cain...but not the Daytona. That may have ruined lancero's for me. It's a hard vitola to find though.
    I think you're still at the phase of a big ring smoker. When you slow it down and savor the moment, you'll see the light. 5 years ago I was too busy to enjoy lanceros but we all get older and slow down.
  • Generally I'd agree with yea on that point. But I've been a 50+ ring gauge guy for 12 years now. Not saying I wouldn't smoke something smaller...which I have on many occasions and enjoyed them...but the larger ring gauges I tend to gravitate towards. Now those 7x70's and 6x80's they got out now...naw...that's tooooo big (wish I had that problem).
  • KingoftheCoveKingoftheCove Posts: 937 ✭✭✭
    I like them fine.......but they do seem to have more issues....which is why a never buy them by the box.....might get unlucky and have 5 - 8 turds :-(
    I'm really starting to dig petite robustos............becomming a favorite........triple maddies and Le Bijous