Home General Discussion
Options

Lighter

Just started smoking cigars about 6 months ago, and bought the lighter that fits in a Zippo. while looking for my old Zippo I found a Colibri, low pressure, lighter from the 70's. Love this lighter. Lights from battery spark and has great cigar lighting flame. Not good in the wind. Anyone else have the low pressure lighter and still use it?

Comments

• Options
    Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,016 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think the zippo inserts are a really neat idea.

I think the term is "soft flame". Yes, plenty of guys only want to use soft flame lighters. They aren't as hot as jet flame lighters. There's much less chance of scorching the foot when lighting up with a soft flame . If you scorch the foot you will get bad bitter flavors and if it's scorched bad enough you can ruin a good stick. Jet flame lighters can burn soooo hot that guys can easily over do it.

I have a table top lighter that I think is considered a soft flame. I really like it and, except for the wind problem, it works great.

You said your old Colibri was "low pressure". But I'm assuming that you mean it's still a butane lighter. I hope so because the old style zippos can give lighter fluid flavor to your cigars.
  • Options
    soyouseesoyousee Posts: 40
    Bob Luken:
    I think the zippo inserts are a really neat idea.

I think the term is "soft flame". Yes, plenty of guys only want to use soft flame lighters. They aren't as hot as jet flame lighters. There's much less chance of scorching the foot when lighting up with a soft flame . If you scorch the foot you will get bad bitter flavors and if it's scorched bad enough you can ruin a good stick. Jet flame lighters can burn soooo hot that guys can easily over do it.

I have a table top lighter that I think is considered a soft flame. I really like it and, except for the wind problem, it works great.

You said your old Colibri was "low pressure". But I'm assuming that you mean it's still a butane lighter. I hope so because the old style zippos can give lighter fluid flavor to your cigars.

Yes, it's butane. Do you or anyone know who still makes these low pressure, soft flame lighters. They are an excellent cigar lighter. Mine is a very small slim one but last much longer on fuel than the bigger torch type. My Bugatti 2002 last as long or longer than most torch types and I really like the style and looks of it, but a soft 2002 would be a great product, the soft flame is perfect for cigars.
  • Options
    OK I found a soft flame lighter! It also has a single torch flame. You can switch between the two flames. It is a Jabon. Have one on order and will give more info when it arrives. Zippo style so torch flame should work in wind.

Old Foggy with a Stogie.
  • Options
    macs-smokesmacs-smokes Posts: 587
    I love the feel of my zippo lighter and use the inserts in 2 now have a single and double torch.
  • Options
    C-LOVEC-LOVE Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭
    The xikar EX is a soft flame lighter, I have one and I love it. They sell it here on ccom, it runs about $50 but xikar as a pretty good warranty so to me it's worth it.
  • Options
    soyousee:
    OK I found a soft flame lighter! It also has a single torch flame. You can switch between the two flames. It is a Jabon. Have one on order and will give more info when it arrives. Zippo style so torch flame should work in wind.

Got the Jabon lighter. It has a flint spark but I can find no way to replace flint when this one is used up? No instructions came with it on this procedure. Also the lighter must light on soft flame and after soft flame you can push button on side of lighter to switch to torch flame so not an outdoor windy conditions lighter. Has a fuel view and is a nice looking and feeling item.

Old Foggy with a Stogie.
  • Options
    CigaryCigary Posts: 630
    Lighters are something that we all have our favorites and what we don't want is a fuel that will taint the taste of our cigars when lighting. Butane is the fuel that most use and it comes in refined qualities from 3X to 5X...I use the 5X refined butane for obvious reasons...no contaminants that tend to clog the jets. Soft flame is my choice because of what Bob said....they tend to light a cigar w/o scorching the end and I never let any lighter flame touch the end....why buy a $10 cigar only to turn it into a briquette? One can use a single torch or even a triple torch but you have to be careful as the heat from those things can almost weld metal...turn it on the lowest setting and light the end from a distance..let the heat of the flame light your cigars. The Xikar Exodus is a great lighter as was talked about...I got mine a couple of years ago from the auction site for $25...it's a lighter that I love and works great...great warranty...easy to adjust the flame and it's almost...almost windproof. Ronson came out with their variation of the soft flame on one called the "Comet"..I have a dozen of them and they are $1 each...they are great for getting through TSA and they are rechargeable.