Home General Discussion

Taking off bands...

I'm sure this happens to everyone, but when I take a band off a cigar I think I hold my breath it makes me so nervous!

Too often a band takes a little bit of wrapper with it. No matter how carefully and slowly I take it off it sometimes still happens. This happened a while ago to me with a NUB cammy and after I took the band off (with some wrapper) the cigar exploded and I had to put it down.

OK, there is my rant. That is probably the only thing about enjoying a cigar that makes me panic. Nothing worse that ruining possibly the best part of the cigar.

Anybody else have some horror stories with removing bands?

Comments

• Matt MarvelMatt Marvel Posts: 930
    I've only torn the wrapper one time. I took the band off way too soon. It felt like it would pull right off, but I was wrong. Luckily, I only tore it a little, so I didn't have any major issues.
  • PuroFreakPuroFreak Posts: 4,131 ✭✭
    I had the same thing happen to me one time with a gurkha centurian! It came apart totally. Had to smoke most of it with no wrapper at all. Pretty much sucked! I've had that problem with several Gurkhas... It's like they use too much glue.
  • Garen BGaren B Posts: 977
    I think Gurhka does use too much glue on the bands, I've always had problems taking the band off of em. I usually take my bands off before I even cut the cap off, but if you really want to make sure your bands come off without the wrapper Moose, smoke the cigar almost down to the band and then take it off, the heat should have melted the glue a little bit and hopefully doesn't screw up the little bit of cigar you have left.
  • HugemooseHugemoose Posts: 458
    I normally do smoke it close to the band....but not too close. I have gone almost too far before and it was a little too hot when I was trying to take it off.

This has just been happening more often to me....just bad luck I suppose. Normally it may only be a small bit of wrapper, but that NUB was a real let down. The wrapper was caked with glue when I inspected it closer.
  • kingjk729kingjk729 Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭
    Of all the cigars i've smoked ...... i've only had a problem with very few, and if my mind isnt playing tricks the trouble bands have been gurkha. just my 2cents
  • shamrockedshamrocked Posts: 285
    just smoke straight through the wrapper
  • KriegKrieg Posts: 5,188 ✭✭✭
    u could always just smoke the label ;)

"Long ashes my friends."

• bigharpoonbigharpoon Posts: 2,963 ✭✭✭
    How awesome would it be if cigar companies made bands that were made out of tobacco? They could put just a little tab of starch on there to keep it in place and then you could just smoke right through it. And, for that half inch or so the cigar would develop another flavor. Enh? Yeah.
  • bigharpoon:
    How awesome would it be if cigar companies made bands that were made out of tobacco? They could put just a little tab of starch on there to keep it in place and then you could just smoke right through it. And, for that half inch or so the cigar would develop another flavor. Enh? Yeah.
    Rocky Patel originally released the Olde Worled Reserve with a tobacco band instead of the waxed paper on the bottom of the cigar. I heard the tobacco started to break down and it stuck to the maduro wrappers so they made the switch.

CK
  • HaysHays Posts: 2,337 ✭✭✭
    So far I haven't had any problems taking off the bands, but I always wait till I'm near done with the cigar. By that time the band has gotten nice and warm, and they've always come off with next-to-no effort..

Sorry to be of no help! :-)
    ¨The cure for anything is salt water: sweat, tears, or the sea¨ - Isak Dinesen

¨Only two people walk around in this world beardless - boys and women - and I am neither one.¨
    I have been having more issues lately, but even so I often don't. It's that this fear that it is going to happen even if I wait to pull it off.

I have a solution....I'll only smoke seconds!!
  • j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    Hugemoose:
    Brilliant!!
    j0z3r:
    Brilliant!!
    mmmmm.....Guinness
  • jihiggsjihiggs Posts: 469 ✭✭
    if you wait till the cigar is burning near the band, it wont be too hard to take off, if it is, apply a little pressure to the band between your two fingers and roll. should work its way loose. I rarely am able to take it off like a ring, always have to unstick the two ends.
  • LasabarLasabar Posts: 4,472 ✭✭✭
    Partagas has had some success in Laser Etching the cigars, it looks pretty cool to have the writing right on the cigar!!!
  • alienmisprintalienmisprint Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭
    Hugemoose:
    I have been having more issues lately, but even so I often don't. It's that this fear that it is going to happen even if I wait to pull it off.

I know the fear you're talking about Moose. It is especially scary with delicate wrappers, like Connecticut shades. I agree with most of the people above though, I have the most problems with Gurkhas.
    alienmisprint:
    Hugemoose:

I know the fear you're talking about Moose. It is especially scary with delicate wrappers, like Connecticut shades. I agree with most of the people above though, I have the most problems with Gurkhas.
    And see that' a real problem now....I just bought a lot of RP connecticuts!

I have only had one Gurkha so I don't have much experience with their wrappers.
    Not so much their wrappers, just that their bands are a pain in the ass to get off.
  • j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    Well the reasoning there is obvious. The only reason to buy a Gurkha is so that you can flaunt it with the band on and say "look at me, I'm smoking an expensive cigar"...if you are going to take the band off, then you may as well just smoke a good cigar and not even worry. :)
  • TheShaunTheShaun Posts: 425
    How far down do you guys smoke? I generally stop at the band. Is that just the newbie in me?
  • Garen BGaren B Posts: 977
    If its a good cigar, I'll smoke it till I burn myself or cant hold the cigar anymore. No reason to fret, one of the guys I smoke with has yet to nub a cigar, I have seen him set down a cigar with 3 1/2 inches to go. And it was a good stick too.
    Lasabar:
    Partagas has had some success in Laser Etching the cigars, it looks pretty cool to have the writing right on the cigar!!!
    I missed this earlier, that sounds awesome, I have never seen that. Which Partagas are etched?
  • gmill880gmill880 Posts: 5,947
    alienmisprint:
    Lasabar:
    I missed this earlier, that sounds awesome, I have never seen that. Which Partagas are etched?

Never seen that either but would like to ...
  • gmill880gmill880 Posts: 5,947
    Garen B:
    If its a good cigar, I'll smoke it till I burn myself or cant hold the cigar anymore. No reason to fret, one of the guys I smoke with has yet to nub a cigar, I have seen him set down a cigar with 3 1/2 inches to go. And it was a good stick too.

Same here ...seems I have been nubbing several cigars lately ...
    gmill880:
    alienmisprint:
    Lasabar:

Never seen that either but would like to ...
    Well according to my usual M.O. I was surfing the net with my friend Miller Lite and I have seen a Partagas Black with writing on the wrapper down the side of it...

Upon further inspection I cannot figure which site I have seen it on...

To tide you guys over go to www.coronacigars.com and that company will engrave existing cigars.... I'ma still look for those Partagas
  • vankleekkwvankleekkw Posts: 404
    The Oliva MB1 and 2's have a neat watermark label on them. It is definately hard to bring yourself to smoke past these.
    Lasabar:
    To tide you guys over go to www.coronacigars.com and that company will engrave existing cigars....
    Damn, you gotta love technology. Can you imagine trying to tell someone in the 60's that in the future they would laser etching cigars? Lol, crazy man, crazy.
    All I know is that when I get married and when I have my first kid I'm handing out laser etched 5 Vegas Serie 'A' and let the games begin!
  • HaysHays Posts: 2,337 ✭✭✭
    Lasabar:
    All I know is that when I get married and when I have my first kid I'm handing out laser etched 5 Vegas Serie 'A' and let the games begin!
    So we're all invited then?
    ¨The cure for anything is salt water: sweat, tears, or the sea¨ - Isak Dinesen

¨Only two people walk around in this world beardless - boys and women - and I am neither one.¨
  • kaspera79kaspera79 Posts: 7,257 ✭✭✭
    Hays:
    Lasabar:
    So we're all invited then?
    We will all just show up.. no invitation required. That's for the wedding, the first born thing may be a problem.